Michael Novak pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No accounting for taste I suppose, but I'd never buy one. Certainly not my cup of tea.

As they always say, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

I'm not a fan of these either, but I'm sure they will tickle someone's fancy.

I keep a print of "Lavender Mist" on my wall. There are people who would pay millions for the original. It's a reminder to me that if some maven of taste says something is artistic, or important, people will blindly follow along and spend megabucks. It's a drop cloth. Pretty judgmental of me I know, but then the ones making that kind of accusation are of course being judgmental, they just fail to see the irony of the situation.

I like a lot of Novak's pipes but, these here are just art stifled and are why there only priced at $99.
If you was to see what his good pieces look like you'd understand and know what I mean.
These are for those who want to own a Mona Lisa but, can't afford it. And No one should expect to drive
a Maserati for $99.99 price tag. These pipes do make his work to someone who hasn't seen it before look bad. Of course I wouldn't send my best work to be sold to P&C either. ;)

Cartaphilus":smw072m8 said:
I like a lot of Novak's pipes but, these here are just art stifled and are why there only priced at $99.
If you was to see what his good pieces look like you'd understand and know what I mean.
These are for those who want to own a Mona Lisa but, can't afford it. And No one should expect to drive
a Maserati for $99.99 price tag. These pipes do make his work to someone who hasn't seen it before look bad. Of course I wouldn't send my best work to be sold to P&C either. ;)
I've seen other pipes by him I like. But these?

BTW, why shouldn't he make attractive pipes that cost $99?

eklektos44":d2w749xa said:
Cartaphilus":d2w749xa said:
I've seen other pipes by him I like. But these?

BTW, why shouldn't he make attractive pipes that cost $99?
You'd have to ask him that, maybe P&C commissioned those, I don't know.

Remember, they are ARTISON pipes and "...still have the Novak flare. " :twisted: :twisted:

I agree that these are not beautiful pipes. And, i think it's great that someone is willing to post an appropriately negative comment on the forum. Sometimes i think we're too careful to be PC. I know I am. I'm very fussy about aesthetics in pipes, but I hesitate to offer negative criticism which, actually, can be very healthy. there are a lot of butt-ugly pipes out there. Yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but i submit that there is no arguing with the importance of a certain flow of line in pipe design.

RobD

Novak is a great guy, I look forward to seeing him in Chicago each year. He told me that he used to make plain classic shaped pipes, but one day realized his work looked like a million other pipes, and decided to do something uniquely his own. His driving force for shaping is based on how a pipe feels in the hand. I have to agree that his aesthetic doesn't suit me, and this line of pipe particularly so, but in person his work is more appealing than just in pictures. Every one of his pipes I've held does fit in the hand like some sort of organic extension, so I think there is a lot to say for his thinking on the subject. All those weird ridges and lumps sit right in your hand beautifully.

RAlden":qns84vwd said:
All those weird ridges and lumps sit right in your hand beautifully.
This is also Ryan's go to pickup line.

I wouldn't pay 9 cents for one of those pipes much less $99.00. :no: :no:

AJ

I think he was making the most of them in his style. If you look at the dimensions they are all relatively small. I think this lot of old rare wood probably didn't set up well for his traditional work or he made the choice to get more pipes out of it. It's a tough decision probably. He could've made much more classic little pipes from this wood to great effect but at this point his name has become synonymous with doing literally the opposite of that. Can you feel good making some pipes in a minor series outside your main work whilst abandoning your style? Some carvers probably could have been contented to look at the wood and say "Hell, I guess I'll just turn some pots, princes, and petite billiards and be done with it. Maybe a small apple or pear. Not enough wood for the usual flourish." Looks like he went the other way. He did what he does. My personal reaction, they are inferior aesthetically to his other work. But maybe that wood smokes like heaven. You buy one and let me know. :lol!: