Mick McQuaid Cuts Square

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
There's tin art that I find cool, and some that creeps me out.   The "Shrewd Judge" looks like the cat who ate the canary and Cornell & Diehl has had countless awkward and fun cartoon-like labels.   Ol' Mick McQuaid on the other hand has a sly, somewhat intoxicated and odd grin that has to go down in the pipe world as one of the strangest and uneasy faces for an ambassador of the briar and leaf:

25006.jpg

...digging a little further, it seems Mr. McQuaid has enjoyed a long history of posing for artists with his unique face, and as you get to know the guy via stories and viewing his likeness, it becomes clear he's quite like a quirky uncle more than a mincing creep.

Which is good, because I've been smoking some of his "Square Cut" tobacco the last few days, and I don't feel any creepier than usual.

The first of his stuff I've tried, the Square Cut features a dense flake that one shouldn't expect to really ever fall apart into ribbons or loose flake.   It has a feel similar to McClelland Dark Star:   they obviously press it in boxes with M1 tanks and leave it for about six months, wait for it to partially petrify, then extract and cut it with a bandsaw.  That's where Square Cut and Dark Star part similarities, though.  Colorful criticism aside, it crumbles nicely into a loose pack and takes a flame with ease.  

McQuaid's Square Cut is interesting.   It packs a nicotine punch like a charging bull, and while not the highest-octane stuff I've tried, if you're into the muscle-numbing and head-spinning effects of strong tobacco, you might like it.   It's gentle on the tongue and palate, but unfortunately, also lacks a little liveliness and character of other strong tobaccos.   In the tin, the stuff has a nicely fermented smell, almost smoky in that dark-fired Kentucky kind of way.   Every time I've lit it up, I wish it would taste as intense as it smells.   There's some sweet, woody, and resin-like notes in it, distant whiffs of dark cocoa--nothing over the top.  

I figure if you accidentally roasted your tongue by diggin' in to the lasagna on Sunday for your family dinner, and yet still needed a nice pipeful to cap off the evening, this tobacco might be a good choice.  It's stout without being a kick to the palate, it has enough nicotine to satisfy a craving, and is easy to deal with from packing & lighting to tamping and finishing.  

Considering I have plenty of gut-punching nicotine delivery systems in my cellar at the moment, I don't think I'll be making space for this one, but it leaves me wondering what else ol' Grinnin' Mick has in his other tins.  

8)

Nice review Kyle. Sounds like a blend/mixture worth looking into !! I wonder how the new stuff blended by Orlik/STG todsy would compare with your decade or older tin!! :twisted: :twisted:

Hilarious review.

I have only ever had the plug. Definitely had me grinning and then ulimately drooling.. :p :drunken:

I'm actually not too sure what era and incarnation of Mick's Square I have.   Digging through the samples recently, I found a lot of stuff Huggie sent to me some time ago, and it was all in great shape (I jarred the bags).   That picture I posted is one I litigiously stole and hotlinked as an image for reference purposes only.  

If it is the old stuff, c'est la vie, I'm honored to have tried it.  If it's the new stuff, and available, some of you gents would probably rather like it.  I know BlaBla-Mike loves nicotine (the Royal Yacht hussie that he is :heart: ), so I'd say grab a tin and go for it.  D&B (and obviously Pilot-Mike), it might be a little much for ya.  

I'm one of those perfectly okay what STG/Lane is doing these days with the blends of yore, especially with the Dunhill line.  It might be blind ignorance of not having many of the originals, but whatever is clever.   I'll get into trying the others in the Mickey Quaid line soon enough.  

:bows:  

Glad I could entertain with my rambling, fellas!

8)

It sems it's like the Player's Navy Cut Flake I recently got from my friend from London, only available "across the big pond" !! I can't find ANYONE who imports either of these here !! And it sounded like something worth smoking !I did find a more recent pic of the newer style of tin with the BIG warning label they put on 'baccy over there, sorta ruins the piture for sure !! :twisted: :twisted: Enjoy your tin Kyle you be a 'fortunate dude !! :twisted: :twisted:

Dadgum'it, Monbla, just when we start having a conversation you stop paying attention: I ain't got no tin, bro. :lol: I did, however, get a plastic bag with a generous pinch of the stuff from Sir Huggett some time ago. No tin.

Too bad the stuff is relatively unavailable here.

8)

Kyle Weiss":9rxt5mbx said:
Dadgum'it, Monbla, just when we start having a conversation you stop paying attention:   I ain't got no tin, bro.   :lol:   I did, however, get a plastic bag with a generous pinch of the stuff from Sir Huggett some time ago.   No tin.  

Too bad the stuff is relatively unavailable here.    

8)
Either way it sounds like you are a fortunate fellow !! :twisted: :twisted:

A great read Kyle. Ol' Mick's face reminds me of my old Pa who, after having one too many whiskies, decided to release a crafty fart.

DrumsAndBeer":j2x4sgp7 said:
"Come here lad. Come & pull your Old Uncle Mick's finger."
OK, that made me officially LOL!

I say that partly due to the fact that when I was a young lad my Uncle Al would frequently do this. And I always fell for it!

:lol:

Cheers,

RR

MisterE":5qtjx5px said:
I simply must try this stuff. Good writeup, Bruthah K! :cheers:
Not sure where you're gonna get it, but the Donkey Express should be able to get you a tin or two from overseas. :heart: Hope everything's status-quo and good down there.

8)