Microwaving Tobaccy

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davey

Reaction score
If one may need to "dry" some weed before it is smoked, Is there a downside to tossing it the couple of pinches in the mic for 7 seconds or so? What would be the difference if either way you are deydhrating the stuff?

Or am I crazy fro a reason I don't realize!?

I personally wouldn't do it but then again I have never tried it. Something about cooking it from the inside out just doesn't appeal to me. I ususally spread my tobacco out on a cookie sheet on top of a layer of paper towels and put it in the oven with the door cracked open. I only turn the oven light on and not the oven itself. I think the temp reaches approximately 85-90 degrees and this seems to dry the tobacco to my liking without actually stoving it.

I heat with wood and have the stove banked most of the winter. I put a bowl's worth in a ceramic cereal bowl and if I don't watch it, in about one minute it's cooked too dry! I've also microwaved to dry out in summer, and while some discourage it, I don't notice a difference in taste between microwaving and heating on a stove, (but then I've never been accused of having a discriminating pallet, or any taste for that matter, so what do I know :mrgreen: ?).

Natch

I've never felt the need to 'cook' my tobac in anyway. I spread it out on a paper towel or paper plate and let the air do it.
sometimes its 3-4 minutes, sometimes its several hours, just depends on how 'wet' it is.

David,

When I dry mine, it is usually in large quantities. The time varies anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours as PB said, depending on the moisture content. Most of the tobacco I purchase is Walnut in 12 oz. containers and the moisture content can vary significantly from container to container. Regardless it takes longer to dry 12 oz. than it does for one bowl's worth. Like PB said I don't use heat on mine. I just put it in the oven with the door open and the oven off. I do turn the oven light on and it makes it just a little hotter than normal room temperature. I put in the oven mainly because it is out of the way so to speak.

Good stuff guys. I suppose I undersdtand what everyone is saying I am just curious what the end result differenec would be? If int he end, water is being released, what (other than messing up by over drying) would be the downside of "quick" zapping the moisture content...? Just curious is all.

Davey":xlb9ie0f said:
Good stuff guys. I suppose I undersdtand what everyone is saying I am just curious what the end result differenec would be? If int he end, water is being released, what (other than messing up by over drying) would be the downside of "quick" zapping the moisture content...? Just curious is all.
Davey,

If you over dry it you can always freshen it up by spritzing it lightly with distilled water. That is all C&D uses to moisturize their tobacco. Most of C&D's tobaccos use to always come very dry and they would even recommend spritzing it with distilled water. I keep distilled water and a sanitized spritzer bottle around for that.

Make sure you only use distilled water.