Mike Brissett

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justpipes

Reaction score
Brothers and Sisters of Briar,

I have not posted anything here in a long time.

It is with very much regret that I have returned to make this post but it is at the request of one of our dearest and most humble brothers that I do so.

Mike Brisset's wife called me and asked if I would let everyone know that Mike passed away this morning. Mike was one of the finest and most humble people that one could be privileged to meet, and he made some of the most cherished pipes that any pipe smoker could desire.

I am too upset myself right now to elaborate on the circumstances. I will say that Wanda told me that Mike passed away very peacefully and that she knows that he is in a much better place. She did tell me that she knew he was preparing a smoking lounge up in heaven and is enjoying a good smoke with our brothers that have gone on before us and will be waiting to do the same with us when we get there. Mike was a God fearing man and I have no doubt that he is doing just that!

As soon as I know the arrangements I will let everyone here know the details.

Peace and blessings to all and may God bless you!

Mark
(Justpipes)

When a pipe smoker passes on...a critical thinker and compassionate person has been lost also...RIP, Mike.

...Broken Pipe...My thoughts and prayers go out to Mike's family and all who were his friends...

FOLLOW THE WISPS OF BLUE SMOKE IN YOUR HONOR TO THE SKY IN PEACE, SIR...  

So sorry to hear this. RIP, Mike. My deepest condolences to all his friends and family.

RIP, Mike.  

Mark, haven't seen you in a while. I trust all is well with you.

I remember some years back he'd made a Horn that I absolutely adored. I asked about it but it was already sold. I asked if it would be possible to make me a pipe kinda sorta like it, artistic license and whatnot. About a month later he presented me with 3 horns to choose from. I picked one that just screamed at me. Rusticated out to the rim, long flowing, just amazing. He charged me $110. If the pipe would have had a different name on it the price would have had another zero on the end. Literally one of the best pipes I have ever owned.
Well anyway, I get home and my son, 5yr old at the time, had snuck the pipe to his room. Tasha caught him with the pipe hanging out of his mouth. She was going to rip him a new one when he said "I look like dad". He put tooth marks in that stem before I ever got to hold it. Mike says "mail it back, I'll make a new stem free of charge". I didn't.
But the point being he wasn't just a good pipe maker, he was a good friend to the pipe community.

I had the privilege of meeting Mike and his wife at his home a little over eight years ago when I went to see my son graduate from Navy boot camp. He was one of the most likeable and humble persons that I have ever had the privilege to meet. I met him through the old Knox Board and we talked many a time concerning the making of pipes. He had his shop in the basement and let me tell you, he didn't have any fancy equipment for making pipes. I was amazed what would come out of his shop. I personally think he was one of the better American pipe makers around.

Mike made me my first of many custom pipes. I have quite a few and they are all great smokers. I will always cherish them. I was always giving him a hard time because I don't think that he charged enough for the pipes he made. I think that he made pipes for the love of making pipes and what he charged was secondary. I agree with Puros_Bran and there should have been another zero behind what he charged for some of his custom work. You would give him an idea and he would run with it, working with you all the way.

Mike will be missed in the pipe world and he truly was a Brother of the Briar........

Brothers, thank you so much for the kind replies and the thoughts of Mike's good friends, and he had many. Many of us are stunned and will sorely miss Mike on this earth. I will be looking forward with hope to seeing again. I will post the arrangements of his memorial in the morning.