military surplus - clothing and gear

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
Not sure whether to put this here or in the Field & Stream forum. Can I cross-list without breaking rules?

Remember when nearly every town had a surplus store? When they would lazily cut off the tops of giant boxes and leave the rummaging to the customers? And for next to nothing price wise? I miss those days.

Not only did I not buy some items because I thought they'd be perpetually available, but also, now some of my gear is showing severe signs of wear. Specifically, I'm in the market for a replacement field jacket. I sort of want a green M-65 field jacket (my black one is a rag), but I'm also eyeballing the Soldier 95 British Smock DPM (Disruptive Pattern Material) field jacket. I would fit the British smock with a USA M-65 liner because they're cheap and more conveniently designed than the British liner, and I would probably try to make the cuffs a button situation rather than velcro. Not sure about that though.

Anyone own a Soldier 95 who can attest to quality of build, material thickness for winter use, and fit?

here's an image of the Soldier 95 jacket (not to be confused with the shirt or goretex jacket). large image, so just a link:
https://euroarmysurplus.co.uk/shoponline/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/7eeabf28-752b-4c3a-a421-a76b38bb81ec.jpg

I'm also in the market for a MA-1 flight jacket, and it isn't easy to find a quality version that isn't $200-700 dollars. Crazy. The govt contracted Alpha Industries and Rothcos are made like complete garbage. If you know of any quality MA-1s that aren't ridiculously priced, please share the information. I'm looking for thicker nylon, metal zippers, and synthetic insulation, which is a cheaper addition. I like to be able to throw mine in the wash, so a wool blend based off the original design isn't something I would want.

Anyone remember the "duck hunter", aka beo gam, camouflage Sears sold in the 50s and 60s, also seen with the military in WWII and early Vietnam? I'm not sure of the timeline or history there, though I just found a wiki page for it. I don't know whether it is because I'm from the Midwest, where Sears had a big footprint, but I remember seeing this everywhere during hunting seasons. I remember it being in the form of this flannel-like, thick, almost canvas-like material. It was rough on the inside like canvas, but soft like flannel on the outside.

beogam-2pocket-set-1.jpg

Zeno Marx":uq6n3841 said:
Not sure whether to put this here or in the Field & Stream forum.  Can I cross-list without breaking rules?

Remember when nearly every town had a surplus store?  When they would lazily cut off the tops of giant boxes and leave the rummaging to the customers?  And for next to nothing price wise?  I miss those days.

Not only did I not buy some items because I thought they'd be perpetually available, but also, now some of my gear is showing severe signs of wear.  Specifically, I'm in the market for a replacement field jacket.  I sort of want a green M-65 field jacket (my black one is a rag), but I'm also eyeballing the Soldier 95 British Smock DPM (Disruptive Pattern Material) field jacket.  I would fit the British smock with a USA M-65 liner because they're cheap and more conveniently designed than the British liner, and I would probably try to make the cuffs a button situation rather than velcro.  Not sure about that though.

Anyone own a Soldier 95 who can attest to quality of build, material thickness for winter use, and fit?

here's an image of the Soldier 95 jacket (not to be confused with the shirt or goretex jacket).  large image, so just a link:
https://euroarmysurplus.co.uk/shoponline/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/7eeabf28-752b-4c3a-a421-a76b38bb81ec.jpg

I'm also in the market for a MA-1 flight jacket, and it isn't easy to find a quality version that isn't $200-700 dollars.  Crazy.  The govt contracted Alpha Industries and Rothcos are made like complete garbage.  If you know of any quality MA-1s that aren't ridiculously priced, please share the information.  I'm looking for thicker nylon, metal zippers, and synthetic insulation, which is a cheaper addition.  I like to be able to throw mine in the wash, so a wool blend based off the original design isn't something I would want.
Good evening Mr Marx, Sir.

I was issued the Soldier 95 (1995) pattern during my time in the Service. It was a quantum improvement over the previous generation which included woollen jumpers and cotton shirts. This smock has a heavy weight feel to it and is made of a material that feels like a half way house between cotton and a lightweight canvas. The material also has a grid woven into it similar to rip stop nylon. Not sure what your application will be but the material is quiet too. We also used to add green cotton adhesive tape over the buttons to prevent shine. As per your link, it has four buttoned pockets on the front, and two zipped chest pockets. If I recall correctly it also has pockets on the back of the upper right arm for pens.

Overall, not a bad smock and I was happy with mine. :)

Thanks for posting. Cool to hear from someone who used one in service. I'm not sure what I'll do with mine. We'll see how it works for a walking and hiking smoking jacket in the Fall.

Zeno Marx":ole5vygw said:
Thanks for posting.  Cool to hear from someone who used one in service.  I'm not sure what I'll do with mine.  We'll see how it works for a walking and hiking smoking jacket in the Fall.
After spending almost a year at the University of South Vietnam back in '69 I don't ever want to see any military surplus stuff. 1 :twisted: :twisted:

These are interesting blog posts about alpenflage jackets; both the M70 and M83. His blog is fun to read in general.

M70 - including a diagram for all the unusually designed pockets, clips, and straps:
http://sharky-fourbees.blogspot.com/2011/07/m-70-swiss-alpenflage-jacket-backpacks.html

M70 - how he modified the situation to make the randomly hanging internal straps work for him without the assigned trousers:
http://sharky-fourbees.blogspot.com/2011/08/swiss-m70-alpenflage-leibermuster-back.html

*there are some good youtube videos on the M70 as well

M83 - jacket/shirt:
http://sharky-fourbees.blogspot.com/2011/01/m83-swiss-alpenfage-shirts.html