Minestrone

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff Daddy

Reaction score
The wife mentioned minestrone. That's it, just mentioned it, that's all it took. Yes, it's 85 degrees out, but who cares.

In a large skillet went a few glugs of EVOO, 4 cloves roughly chopped garlic, the lower 1/3 (whites and some greens) of about 8 scallions - sliced, one zucchini - chopped, a large peeled carrot - chopped, about 12 crimini mushrooms - halved, about a pound of Italian turkey sausage. Everything is sauteed on fairly high heat to brown (but not so high as to burn the garlic).

The sausage comes out and is transferred to a plate (to be sliced later for reintroduction) and a big bunch of rainbow chard - stripped of stems and chopped coarsely - is added to the pot. Stir about a moment and add a can of cannelini beans, a handful of chopped sundried tomatoes, a big glug of red wine, and a couple of cans of beef broth. Bring to a boil, add sliced sausage, reduce to a simmer and cover for a 25 minute slow roll.

I cooked a small bit of little shell pasta and rinsed it in cold water to arrest the cooking process. After the 25 minutes the lid comes off the soup, the fire goes out, and the drained shells go in. Served up with a bottle of Smoking Loon Old Vine Zinfandel ($5 at Raley's, a great wine at this price point!) and I'm a hero.

Even the kids ate it, every drop :D

P, I just booked my flight, pick me up at the Airport around noon. I'll bring my own bowl and spoon.

Chef PD,,,I checked my messages and apparently my invitation for supper wasn't forwarded,,,sorry for the mix up, my appologies,,,

Hey, I didn't even mention the Apple Hill apple pie yet MB :lol: The girls just put down grown man sized pieces and asked for more :shock: They ate more than I did :lol:

MB,

You didn't read it carefully.... "The kids ate it, every drop" ... :cheers:

mark":unfw85n5 said:
Chef PD,,,I checked my messages and apparently my invitation for supper wasn't forwarded,,,sorry for the mix up, my appologies,,,
It must have ended up in your SPAM folder (pun intended, yuk yuk :lol!: )

Slow Puffs":o8kpmwye said:
MB,

I know, but PD's got the whole night to make more.

542066046_0eaf22c9b9.jpg

Man that smells good PD! I am writing that recipe down! Thanks for sharing it.

There's nothing more soothing that a big pot of minestrone. Sorry I missed dinner. Sounds wonderful!

I usually do mine vegetarian. Almost always have a rind of parmigiano ready to toss in, and some chiles. Often, a little splash of balsamico to brighten things up a little. A friend asked me for a recipe. What I sent here was basically, "Stock pot. Onions, garlic, chard, tomatoes, beans, other stuff. Cook. Eat." She thought I was being a wise-ass, and I was, but it's never the same twice, and that's what makes it so much fun.

PD, you've GOT to check out the dried runner cannellini beans from Rancho Gordo in Napa. They're immense and wonderful. The scarlet runners are great too, as are the midnight blacks, the yellow eyes, the vaquitos, the ojo de cabras, the Rio Zape...

glpease":mf1pxnvp said:
There's nothing more soothing that a big pot of minestrone. it's never the same twice, and that's what makes it so much fun.
Yep, it's a general idea and a blank canvas. Minestrone is freestyle heaven - there are no hard and fast rules other than it's usually soup :lol:

glpease":mf1pxnvp said:
PD, you've GOT to check out the dried runner cannellini beans from Rancho Gordo in Napa.
I've had that one filed away for future visit since hearing your comments on the place earlier this summer. The first thing that came to mind was beans and greens with panchetta and lot's of garlic 8)

Slow Puffs":k3vju4oa said:
MB,

It's alright. I got an invitation too. I can make more if need be.

<----- woman :cheers:

Puff Daddy":6jysc880 said:
glpease":6jysc880 said:
There's nothing more soothing that a big pot of minestrone. it's never the same twice, and that's what makes it so much fun.
Yep, it's a general idea and a blank canvas. Minestrone is freestyle heaven - there are no hard and fast rules other than it's usually soup :lol:

glpease":6jysc880 said:
PD, you've GOT to check out the dried runner cannellini beans from Rancho Gordo in Napa.
I've had that one filed away for future visit since hearing your comments on the place earlier this summer. The first thing that came to mind was beans and greens with panchetta and lot's of garlic 8)
I do the runner cannellinis simply cooked and served with black truffle oil and a sprinkle of red Hawaiian salt as a starter. Since discovering Rancho Gordo, I haven't touched tinned beans. Unfortunately, it takes the spontaneity away, but they're just SO good. Besides, running out of beans, for me, is a good excuse to take a trip into Napa, and thats never a bad thing!