Mini-pipe vs. Half bowls

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psmith

Reaction score
Weather is getting cold and I often don't have enough time for a long pipe.  Was thinking of getting a small bowled pipe like this Tsuge Capito.

http://www.lightertime.co.kr/m/product.html?branduid=66084&xcode=036&mcode=004&scode=001&type=X&sort=order&cur_code=036004&GfDT=bmd3UA%3D%3D

Just wondering whether you guys would recommend this kind of mini-pipe.  Or do you just prefer going half bowl when you want a shorter smoke.

I always worry about charring my bowl when lighting a half packed bowl.

Well are you opposed to a nose warmer.  You can pretty much stop at any smoke shop and get a MM mini cob ( they have them in hard wood also) i have a couple  and have smoked from them. They arnt tlhalf bad. Even if you dont like it your out what 3 bucks. Also on the half bowl burning hotter it is true, but you also have to consider the blend your smoking as well as some of them smoke cooler than others and some burn like Dantes Inferno...At the end of the day its what you are comfortable with, my self.. ive never trusted modern pipe from Asia as you are always hearing about recalls for materials used on other types of products . Just makes me weary as i like my piping to be as pure as possible.

Mr E has a good point, but smoking outside in cool or cold weather this could be mitigated somewhat. I've read that smoking half bowls can lead to uneven cake formation and therefore uneven pressure against the inside walls of your bowl leading to potential cracking. Heavy side walls would minimize this I imagine. In addition, I think it would take a fair number of half bowls and negligence re reaming, etc. to really lead to physical damage. But, you know, it does represent something more to obsess about...so it does have a certain value. 8)

I agree with MisterE. I own many nose warmers and even a few old Yello-Bole Pug pipes but I do fill my regular bowls up 1/3 to 1/2 depending on the weather outside and if I'm going too also smoke outside.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Cobs are a good cold weather outdoor alternative. Cob bowls tend to be small and maintenance is easy. I think the problem with charred briar bowls outdoors is connected with breeze (sometimes the pipe seems to be smoking itself), a faster pace because you're smoking outdoors and its c o l d, and, finally, relights.  Anything that makes you do relights can lead to rim charring, because the rim is unprotected from the flame, especially if the pipe is half full and it keeps going out, and most especially if you use one of those abominable torch lighters.  But, if you can eliminate or reduce relights and use a cooler flame. your charring problem can be avoided completely, even outdoors in Winter. But if you insist on buying a new pipe, it's okay.

Thanks for the replies mates. Incorporating what you guys have said what I will do is this. Avoid the mini pipe which may give a hot smoke..especially with an aluminum stem. Then as opposed to half bowls fill the bowl well full...smoke half and then DGT it and smoke the next half later. Abnormal cake problem solved and a strong tasty smoke during the second half. Pipe smoking decisions....the decisions I love to mull over.

Now you got it. I have a couple of pipes that will go well over an hour. If pressed for time just let it die and come back later for DGT.

Thanks for the replies mates. Incorporating what you guys have said what I will do is this. Avoid the mini pipe which may give a hot smoke..especially with an aluminum stem. Then as opposed to half bowls fill the bowl well full...smoke half and then DGT it and smoke the next half later. Abnormal cake problem solved and a strong tasty smoke during the second half. Pipe smoking decisions....the decisions I love to mull over.
That's my way of handling quick/short smokes. Hell, I've 'run' a large bowl'd briar a couple of days - DGT sometimes improves the flavor of the blend... if you can believe that.