Minnesota Covid Numbers Surging

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO TV) -- The Minnesota Department of Health said today (Monday) recent COVID-19 numbers "are among the highest we've seen so far in 2021. "Health officials reported 4,253 new cases of COVID-19 Monday and 34 more deaths, one of them an Isanti resident in their 20s.

I keep hearing how c-19 is in the rear view mirror. It's in the past. Moving on.

Yet, I hear this about Minnesota, and I think Germany is having a 4th wave right now, also with the highest numbers of the year. And then opening up international travel. I'm surprised how primal we are. Or rather, I'm reminded of how primal we are. We're tired of it. We're "over it." But...uh...because you're tired of something doesn't mean that task is done. That job doesn't just evaporate when you grow tired of it. It's just a strange mentality. Not talking about c-19 specifically, either. I'm talking the approach to something.

1636491341206.png

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/covid-19-tuesday-update-new-weekend-cases-overwhelm-state-health-staff-few-icu-beds-available/ar-AAQvxgm?ocid=hplocalnews

On average, Minnesota is reporting about 24 deaths from COVID-19 every day.

There were so many new coronavirus infections reported to Minnesota health officials over the weekend that nearly a quarter remained unprocessed Tuesday morning. The state Department of Health had tallied 7,173 new infections in time for its 11 a.m. Tuesday update, and an estimated 2,500 more positive tests had yet to be processed. A department spokesman said they are working to increase staffing to address the rising numbers of positive tests that need to be entered into the state’s databases.
Health officials started releasing new outbreak data only on business days over the summer, and that change led to an influx of new cases on Tuesday mornings from the previous weekend. When results are released at 11 a.m. each business day, they typically are current through 4 a.m. the previous business day.
Before this week, the most new cases reported on a Tuesday during the latest surge was nearly 8,000 in late October.

The new cases reported Tuesday bring the state total to 826,404 infections since March 2020 with more than 8,800 who have been infected more than once. That total does not include the 2,500 backlogged cases that should be added to the count later this week.

About 96 percent of people infected since the pandemic began have recovered enough that they no longer need to be isolated.

Twenty more deaths also were recorded Tuesday, bringing the state toll to 8,882. Those whose deaths were reported ranged in age from a Ramsey County resident in their late 40s to three people in their 90s. Only six were living in long-term care; 14 in private homes.
Hospitalizations jumped overnight to a yearly high of 1,122, including 249 in critical condition. The number of available intensive care beds is dwindling in much of the state.

Zeno wrote “…because you're tired of something doesn't mean that task is done. That job doesn't just evaporate when you grow tired of it.”

Amen Brother! I think local/regional officials are WAY jumping the gun by opening things up because they know their populations are tired of it and wishing it gone. I think we should view this as World War 3…it’s only over when the enemy (Covid) is dead.

The thing about the forth wave in Germany is pretty scary.

I'm wondering if it is surging because its cooling off in the northern states. I checked Alabama Department Heath website for covid tracking and the county I live in (Mobile) is the lowest since Ive been watching it. I will keep a eye on it as it cools off here along the gulf coast to see if we have a surge. Almost nobody is wearing masks in the stores now.

A few weeks ago I read that different states/regions are on very different “spike schedules” essentially due to their differing populations. States with large populations and closer to other large population centers were hit with the Delta wave earliest. States with more rural populations or that are geographically far from big outbreaks were not hit early so much but are now or soon will be catching up. Just cause I read it doesn’t make it so. Likely there are multiple factors.

Consider…our moon and the planet Mars have had ZERO deaths or cases. They are VERY far away from large population centers. SO…it takes multiple targets for the virus to spread infection. If everyone harbored at home the viral targets would not be out there…like on the extraterrestrial locations mentioned. But we just gotta get our hair done and go to big football games, etc. So this crap is going to keep up til we wise up. It would be better if we stayed home/masked/distanced cause one of these good ol’ days some virus will mutate and BINGO there will be a “kill everybody” variety…then that’s it for us baby! Extinction level event. And the same bunch that are saying that will never happen are the same bunch that said Covid would never happen.

Just some local MN observations. When I go into a store, human traffic is similar to pre-pandemic days. If there's a setting with 100 people, maybe 20% are masked. Restaurants that have enough staff to be open are functioning as though Covid doesn't exist. Sports venues, Vikings, Timberwolves, Gophers, etc. are largely unmasked. Rural MN tends to be anti-vax and, as such, rural hospitals are filled with Covid cases. It appears that most Minnesotans think they'll fall into the 96% group of infected, but recovered.

It's getting more and more important to be vaccinated. One of the MN Vikings football players, Dakota Dozier, fully vaccinated, was rushed to the ER with Covid.
Vikings coach Mike Zimmer told reporters Wednesday. "Like 29 guys are getting tested because of close contact, including myself." Zimmer said Dozier is in stable condition.
One can only speculate how sick Dozier might have become, had he not been vaccinated.