Quantcast

Miserable Bent Stem on My Favorite Meerschaum

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

Grant Gimper

Reaction score
Another NC guy joining the gang. First, allow me to give you a brief insight into my life & times. I may be the eldest to join this august body at 73. I was a peddler of hospital supplies for 30+ years but was forced into early retirement as a result of Rheumatoid Arthritis. I smoked a pipe for four years, while hanging out at the University of NC. For some reason, probably laziness, I started smoking cigarettes after leaving UNC & stayed with the "wicked weed" until I retired in 1988. I picked up a bent GBD at McCranies shop in Charlotte & never looked back.

My topic relates to my ongoing love/hate relationship with meerschaum pipes. I must admit that I went overboard in my zeal to accumulate meerschaums but my primary morning smoker is a bent CAO that I seem to select, several mornings a week, to help get my heart pumping in the right direction. My criticism centers mainly around the bent stem. Since I am old & have the time, I attempt to clean my pipes regularly; however the bend in the stem seems to be too flat at the bend & causes a tar build-up that is nearly impossible to clean. Aside from purchasing a new stem; can someone suggest a reasonably simple way of cleaning this offender at home.

I promise that I will never, again, go to the extremes in writing as I have today. I enjoy the give & take here at the Brothers of Briar & look forward to joining in future discussions.

jeepernick

Reaction score
Welcome to the board.

I have red here on the board somewhere that some use a pipe cleaner chucked into a cordless drill to clean stubborn stems. I have never tried it myself but it seems like it might work.

Carlos

Administrator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Hey Pipegimp! :)

Cleaning frequently may be the only answer without partaking of other options.

I have also read of threading a string through the stem. Tied to a door knob or other fixed object. Some light rubbing compound or wax rubbed into the string. Then just slide the stem back and forth till smooth inside.

The problem I see with this is, the ability to cut right though the stem. Be very cautious with any method you may choose to try to open a narrow stem. Or flattened airway.

Personally, I would send it to my favorite pipe repair person.

George at Precision Smoking Pipe Rejuvenation & Repair has done first class work for me recently.

Precision Smoking Pipe Rejuvenation & Repair

Justpipes

Reaction score
Welcome Pipegimp from another NC guy!

There are folks here with a wealth of knowledge that can help you with stem cleaning and as mentioned above there are already some threads addressing the subject.

Dock

Reaction score
Grant,

Very cool to have you on board brother....

Best,
Dock
:pipe:

puros_bran

Reaction score
Welcome to the board....
By all means feel free to make a post as long as you want. It provides for reading enjoyment :lol:

regor

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!! Don't worry about the lenght of your post. I am really happy that you are here. I am now the third instead the second oldest here LMAO. My wife says that its the meds and laughs at the whole thing. Again - WELCOME :cyclops: :sunny: :sunny:

Justpipes

Reaction score
regor":qgt6ebg7 said:
I am now the third instead the second oldest here LMAO.
Regor, we know that you are the yougest at heart!

Our new fearless leader is a mere baby! Right Dock! :lol: :lol: :lol: