Missing the old Balkan Sobranie or Bohemian Scandal?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jj1015

Reaction score
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think someone may have finally killed two birds with one stone for those of us who love both classic Balkans and Syrian latakia.

McClellands recently released a new mixture by Fred Hannah called "Wilderness." In the space of a few short weeks, this stuff has completely displaced most of my cellar and led me to conclude that the small amounts of Bohemian Scandal and Renaissance I have cellared can sit in their jars forever for all I care (again, I can't believe I just wrote that, as I'm a huge GL Pease fan). I know that probably sounds like hyperbole and that each person's tastes are subjective, but ... damn, this stuff is remarkable. Hannah is one of those who has long lamented the passing of the old Balkan Sobranie, and apparently McClellands gave him access to their stockpile of Syrian latakia and "grand orientals" and told him to do whatever he wanted. What he came up with is almost too freaking good for words.

Unlike most McClelland English mixtures I've tried, this stuff is not at all mild and does not use the Syrian latakia sparingly. It's no spice or condiment here, it's a main course. This is the closest thing I've ever had, in fact, to a Syrian lat "bomb," and I feel this is a much better presentation of that fine leaf than was even available in Bohemian Scandal (there is a smidgeon of Cyprian here, as well, but it's barely detectable). But the latakia is only half the story. There is a generous dollop of Yenidje, as well, plus a slew of other orientals, all on a bed of very sweet virginias.

As you can imagine, this stuff is very complex. The Vas dominate some puffs, then the Yenidje, then the basma, then the Syrian ...The only things I've ever tasted that were anywhere near this complex were 7-year-old Samarrah and Renaissance, and those lacked this blend's very full body. Pease (who remains my favorite blender overall) tends to create exceptionally complex blends, but that complexity is usually of a somewhat subtle type. Hannah, on the other, has managed to match GLPs complexity but keeps the volume on the blend turned up to "11." Oh, and not to forget -- there is NICOTINE here!!! :cheers:

Is this stuff a match for the old Balkan Sobranie? I have no way of knowing, as I started smoking a pipe 20 years ago and it's my understanding that the "classic" Balkan Sobranie white had irrevocably changed by the 1970s. But I can tell you that, as a serious afficiando of balkan mixtures, this stuff is pretty much what I always imagined it would taste like based on the descriptions I've heard from older smokers. If this is what the classic batches of Balkan Sobranie "white" tasted like, I can understand why it's considered such a classic.

In any case, strictly considered on its own merits, this is the best Balkan I have tasted in many, many years and (IMO, of course) an instant classic.

JJ, thanks for sharing bro.
We are fortunate enough to have some Balkan Sobranie, or should I say Muddler has. I have in recent times been fortunate to smoke the stuff. And I really like it.
The closest I have come wads Balkan Sasieni. I always love it when the VA is well balanced or at the fore. By what you are saying, this stuff sounds right up my alley.
Thanks again for the info! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

This would be very different than nearly all their blends. I never ever think vitamin "N" strength when reaching for a McClelland tobacco. They have the market cornered on "mild" for some strange reason. So this is good news. Unlimited access to the good Syrian? Amazing. There has never been more than just the slightest little bit of Syrian anything in any of their other blends. So I never saw any reason to purchase more. So this is more good news.

Carlos":v8i1p5fw said:
This would be very different than nearly all their blends. I never ever think vitamin "N" strength when reaching for a McClelland tobacco. They have the market cornered on "mild" for some strange reason. So this is good news. Unlimited access to the good Syrian? Amazing. There has never been more than just the slightest little bit of Syrian anything in any of their other blends. So I never saw any reason to purchase more. So this is more good news.
This stuff is radically different than anything McClelland has produced before (at least, in my experience with their blends). I usually stay away from McClelland latakia mixtures like British Woods or even 3 Oaks Syrian because they have so little strength or complexity (and the other Hannah blend, "Legends," is much closer to a typical McClelland blend than is Wilderness). But Wilderness is much closer to a GL Pease mixture, or even one of the Compton's of Galashiels blends. It's not a nicotine powerhouse like 1792, but the Vitamin N is DEFINITELY noticeable, and quite unexpected. It does have a little bit of the McClelland "ketchup" aroma from the virginias, but that doesn't survive even the charring light -- the lat and orientals simply bury it. I've particularly not cared much for McClelland's Syrian latakia blends because they have so little of the leaf in them -- they were all a tease, unlike Bohemian Scandal where I could actually taste where my money went. But Wilderness has a stout quantity of it (Hannah has said on another board that the blend is about 35 percent latakia, virtually all of it Syrian).

I don't believe McClelland has an "unlimited" amount of the Syrian at all. They have Syrian from the exact same batch that GL Pease and C&D had a few years ago that was destroyed in a warehouse fire, but McClelland had their stash housed elesewhere. It WILL run out, so I'm cellaring as much of this stuff as possibly while it's available.

jj1015":6jxr6pyp said:
I don't believe McClelland has an "unlimited" amount of the Syrian at all. They have Syrian from the exact same batch that GL Pease and C&D had a few years ago that was destroyed in a warehouse fire, but McClelland had their stash housed elesewhere. It WILL run out, so I'm cellaring as much of this stuff as possibly while it's available.
I plan on doing the same. My next order will probably be comprised of this alone.

I have heard of the warehouse fire but it is not clear what is left where it is blended from what batch!!