Missouri Meerschaum Hardwood

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
Not that I need another pipe, but I stumbled upon the MM Great Dane maple spool and am wondering if anyone has experience with a maple pipe. The description reads: "We recently stumbled across a batch of these handsome Great Dane Maple Hardwood Straight pipes we had stashed away. Although we no longer carry them on a regular basis, this spool-shaped bowl offers a comfortable fit and enjoyable smoke."
I thought MM had quite making these. I looked to buy one a couple of years ago and was told by MM CS they were no longer being made.

If memory serves me correctly I had a maple pipe many years ago (not an MM). The only thing I remember was you had to be careful on the initial bowls because it was a type of wood that had a tendency to burn the inside of the bowl if you weren't careful until you built up a cake. Taste wise, like olive wood, the wood flavored the tobacco slightly the first couple of bowls (again until a cake built up inside the bowl). Weight wise the pipe was lighter than briar. If I remember correctly the reason I got rid of the pipe was the outside of the bowl tended to get hotter (and hold the heat) compared to a briar or Meerschaum pipe.

Just checked, I have a least three MM maple woods; although not in the Great Dane shape. Mine are small billiards; they smoke very well. I use them mostly for aros and Burleys while working outside. Quite frankly, I haven't puffed on one in a while!! Sounds like MM is doing a warehouse inventory check and found some product stashed way in the back!! FTRPLT

The only thing I remember was you had to be careful on the initial bowls because it was a type of wood that had a tendency to burn the inside of the bowl if you weren't careful until you built up a cake.I
It would probably be prudent to make up a batch of cigar ash with a light simple syrup to coat the coat before the first smoke.

Never had a maple but got a stanwell beechwood in a 3fer deal from P&C. Smoked okay but like Mike said the pipe tends to get hot. Not sure how beechwood compares to maple on a hardness scale.

Bugger, went looking to purchase one of the spools but they're only available in the straight format, a bit like my humour, I prefer bent. ;)

I was curious to see if many other pipemakers were making maple pipes and came across Anton Pipe Art Studio in Ukraine after a Google search. The pipes were cheap 'cause shipping was included. They cost within a dollar of MM maple with shipping. I ordered one and it arrived today. It's smaller than I expected and obviously machine made, mass produced. Without any tobacco in it, I tested the draw; plugged! The problem was at the base of the bowl. The draw hole at the base was plugged. I used a small drill bit, inserted it, by hand, worked it for a while, and cleared the plug. In the linked photo, I got the natural color. It looks pretty nice, but I don't know if I'll ever smoke it.
It looks like Anton may be charging for shipping now.

Last edited:
The only thing I remember about a maple pipe was you had to be careful on the initial bowls because it was a type of wood that had a tendency to burn the inside of the bowl if you weren't careful until you built up a cake.
It would probably be prudent to make up a batch of cigar ash with a light simple syrup to coat the coat before the first smoke.
I just watched a YouTube video that demonstrated how to pre-carbonize a bowl with a mixture of finely crushed activated charcoal and sour cream. I guess I'll cannibalize a used Brita filter for the charcoal. I'm not sure about using sour cream. Maybe I'll use honey, simple syrup, or agave syrup.

I think the go to guy for info this general topic would be Ozark Wizard. He’s had & made excellent hardwood pipes for years, as I recall. I don’t remember that he uses any kind of pre-coating.

Last night I finally decided to smoke this one:
il_794xN.2390090357_5v7r.jpg

The bowl was pre carbonized and I didn't use any type of filter. For a $20 dollar pipe (shipped) it was a good smoke for a first bowl. I think I may order a couple of these: Smoking Pipe Made of Maple Tree cherrywood With | Etsy

On close examination, fit and finish isn't extraordinary, but so far the pipe smokes very well. I ordered two more, damnit.

Has anyone actually smoked one of these? They are cheap and look nice but if I can't smoke it it's worthless.
Me.
As I posted previously, fit and finish aren't perfect, but the first one I bought is a good smoker.

Last edited:
On close examination, fit and finish aren't extraordinary, but so far the pipe smokes very well. I ordered two more, damnit.
These are the two I ordered:
il_340x270.2513665452_jhp7.jpg
and
il_340x270.2988994872_9g3o.jpg

Last edited:
Already got a shipping notification. I can expect to receive the pipes in about a month. That seems reasonable as they're coming from Lviv, Ukraine.

Last edited: