Modded MM Cob Nosewarmer

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Draagha

Reaction score
I got bored tonight, hanging out at the momNlaws house, there's not much to do beside sit on the porch and smoke.

I've grown past my "I want a massive smoking machine" phase and realize that what I enjoy is just a tall, narrow bowl with a short bent stem. Unfortunately I haven't had the money to do get a briar that fits those specs yet...

So I got creative, after seeing the "Cobfoolery" post it confirmed the thought I had and I went to work.

I trimmed the shank in half, refitted the original band and spaced the hole out a bit more to fit the stem and viola. I now have a nosewarmer, and I will do the same to my other cob.

This is a MM General Corn Cob.

I just finished a bowl of "proper English" a.k.a. Ashton Consummate Gentleman(which has got me hooked on latakia now) in this.
It was my pipe for my english to begin with, but with this mod made it something phenomenal.It gave it a much richer flavor. By the way, the overall length of this pipe is now just under 4 1/2in.

I DEFINITELY will be getting a few more cobs to do this too. It took maybe an hour of work for this one, and I half assed it.  Very good for me so I can now have a few nosewarmers and not have to shell out a good chunk of dough for just a one.

That is a whopper nose warmer Buddy, good to know it smokes so well, job well done. :cheers: 

Thanks guys.

I am actually a pretty big guy so its not so bad. It's actually a lot easier for me to clench it now since its weight is closer to my jaw.

Later this week I will post my array of cobwarmers.

And now she has a twin sister. I just modded my other one to be the same. I LOVE IT!

Brewdude":eibz7dbw said:
Good gravy, that bowl is HUGE!

So do you load it up all the way? And if you do it certainly must be a 2+ hr smoke!?

:shock: 

Cheers,

RR
I smoke VERY fast and I don't fill it entirely. I place a tight twisted cork in the bottom, gravity fill as normal with slightly less pressure than usual and it lasts for about an hour. 2 hours if I'm smoking like a normal human being instead of a like a steamboat. But I replaced cigarettes with pipe smoking, so I usually am smoking for my vitamin N.

somedumbjerk":d7hagh22 said:
pimp those cobs!!
Do think they would stain? These aren't unfinished, they have some sort of smooth coating on them, which I think is plaster of paris. :scratch: 

If they would stain, I might order a nicer color than black or dark "red"(its pink). I think they'd look classy in a nice blue 8) 

Draagha":govfu7fh said:
somedumbjerk":govfu7fh said:
pimp those cobs!!
Do think they would stain? These aren't unfinished, they have some sort of smooth coating on them, which I think is plaster of paris. :scratch: 

If they would stain, I might order a nicer color than black or dark "red"(its pink). I think they'd look classy in a nice blue 8) 
they stain, but they are very pourous so it's likely to bleed. you have to finish it with something, like lacquer or plaster. not sure if wax would work, but it's worth a shot

Nice cob mod Draagha! One thing that appeals to me about the shorter shank, is the strength that it will provide when twisting the stem on or off the pipe. I too like the size of my MM General. It seems perfect for English blends, especially those which are ribbon cut.

I tried staining a cob a few years back without much luck. I tried an oil based stain, and the worst part of the result, was that it caused the plaster of turn loose in a couple places. I had planned to mix up a batch of stain using Rit dye and denatured alcohol, and see how that would turn out, but I never got around to it. My guess is that it would take several applications, and like sdj stated, it would probably bleed. The best results might come from staining a natural cob, and just letting the stain bleed until the heat did it's job of drying out the stain.

With all the custom cobs on the market nowdays, I bet someone would have found a way to do this by now, if it were feasible. It would make for some unique cobs though.

Dutch - Thanks brother! If you ever get around to giving that a try, let me know the results and I may try it myself. For now I like the natural enough to keep it. I'm not sure what it is about it, but it's ALL I can smoke english out of. I'd like to try the kolonel on aristicob.com for english and this mod as well, but it will have to wait till next month as I'm tapped after my überTAD this month.

Next I need to get some legit stems for these. Despite the cheap price of replacement MM stems, I tear up the mouthpiece too fast to be replacing or reopening the airway every time. I tried the rubber bits but they don't fit on these too snug which my OCD cannot allow to have happen. :oops:

Draagha, some people will cringe when I describe this process, but it works wonderfully for keeping rubber pipe bits in place.

I simply take my dremel tool with the fiber cutting wheel attachment, and cut a small notch into each side of a pipe stem right in front of the button. This allows the thickest part of the rubber pipe bit to catch and hold snugly.

At first it was hard for me to do this, since the goal of using the pipe bits was to protect my stems. Once I got used to having them between my teeth, I couldn't stand to smoke a pipe without one, because they are so comfortable. I finally realized that the stem is designed to be replaced anyway, and if I don't enjoy smoking a particlar pipe, I might as well sell it and get it out of my collection.

Now when I buy new pipes or estates, I really pay attention to the stem designs, keeping in mind my preference for using the rubber pipe bits.

Walker Briar works sells some perfectly sized Forever Stems that hold my pipe bits in place without any Dremel mods, and those are the ones I really prefer for my cobs.

Dutch - If you could, a picture of what that looks like would be great for me, as I'm a visual learner and I have a hard time picturing things such as this with just a description. I'd be willing to do it though! I MUCH prefer the rubber bits to solid plastic.

FM - Thanks brother 8) 

That's one of the neatest things I've ever seen done to a cob. I really like the shortened shank.:) 

AJ

Thanks ajn!

Did this one up today as well. I bit the bullet and eased off on my TAD to get some new stem bits and the kolonel MM cob.

Excuse the messy and turrible photo quality.

I like the looks of that one too but for my own use I prefer the straight stem.:) Have you smoked either one since the modification?

AJ

Forgot to add this as well.

It's a gift for a friend that just turned 21 and is going on a month long cross USA motorcycle trip which includes making a stop at Burning Man.

It's a flask of my favorite VSOP brandy(The flask says "Holy S@#t I'm old!", a blend I made of macbaren plumcake, a local blend called royalty, and some LL 1Q that I've let dry out nice and slowly. It's a smooth liqueur taste with a sweet and smokey aftertaste. And of course the cob, which I stained the stem on and rubbed it off right before it totally dried. Figured since he's camping at night, it'd be a nice thing to relax before sleeping.