mold or sugar in burley flake?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jj1015

Reaction score
I just opened a tin of C&D's Burley Flake #2 (dated 10-19-09) and was surprised to see the tobacco coated with a thin layer of what appears to be fine white sugar or flour. The tobacco smells VERY fruity, almost like it was heavily laced with perique, and the thin was bulging when I opened it.
Are these sugar crystals or some odd kind of mold? I've seen sugar form in va blends, but this is primarily a burley flake (although it does contain a quantity of red va).

I've never heard of burly blooming, but I understand that mold is accompanied by a nasty aroma. I would smoke it if the aroma isn't nasty.

shootist51":9r9tofx5 said:
I've never heard of burly blooming, but I understand that mold is accompanied by a nasty aroma. I would smoke it if the aroma isn't nasty.
Agreed, but Burley Flake#1 has some Va in it, which would account for the blooming. I would lay odds that it is NOT mold, but pictures would indeed be helpful

I don't have a digital camera, I'm afaid, so I can't post pics.
I suspect it's mold, as I've never noticed any unusual smells from Vas with sugar crystals and this one has a powerful smell. Like I said, it's a very fruity, wine-like aroma -- weird.

jj1015":2g97xgqt said:
I don't have a digital camera, I'm afaid, so I can't post pics.
I suspect it's mold, as I've never noticed any unusual smells from Vas with sugar crystals and this one has a powerful smell. Like I said, it's a very fruity, wine-like aroma -- weird.
My advice: tomorrow morning call C&D, ask for Craig and explain what you found. I bet that if it is indeed mold, he will send you out a replacement tin right away. Do let us know what he says. I have dealt with the folks at C&D directly numerous times, and they are great folks in my experience.

I'm putting my money on mold. A strong fruity aroma can absolutely be caused by molding.

Now, whether or not it would hurt you to smoke it, I have no idea.

That stuff isn't old enough to be totally covered with pixie dust. If it's OPAQUE WHITE as opposted to kind of being translucent (crystaline) then it's mold. Could be the seal on your tin was very slightly 'off'. It happens. Call C&D as has been said. PS: if they want you to send the tin back to them for "replacement" it should be on their dime.

One time on a camping trip I ripped the top off a sealed can of SPAM...and the brick of semi-meat substance inside was BLUE...like totally. Like cheese, I sliced off the outside and rinsed it with water and kept on goin'...just don't tell the womenfolk!!!

PS: So - you don't have a digital camera...where do you live anyway, Lower Slobovia?

Blackhorse":1cx1p68o said:
PS: So - you don't have a digital camera...where do you live anyway, Lower Slobovia?

I live in Knoxville, but our digital camera's broken and we don't have the money right now to replace it.
I plan on calling C&D in the next couple of days. I'm sure Craig will replace the tin, as I've dealt with them for years and the customer service has always been great, but I didn't want to call until I got some more advice on what's wrong.

Now that the tin"s been open awhile, I'm almost certain it's mold. The odor is so strong I can smell it from several feet away, and it now smells more like garbage than fruit.

jj - I hope you took no offense at my poor attempt at humor. "Lower Slobovia" was a location that Al Capp used to refer to in the old "Li'l Abner" comic strip. Just an affectionate jibe.

Since all tobaccos have sugar and oils to one degree or another, I can imagine that all tobaccos can bloom in the right conditions.

Wow ... I talked to Craig and he said I ended up with sugar crystals/fementation. e described it as a "pre-aged" tin ... I exressed surprise that there was enough VA in the blend or time for that to happen, and he said even burlies have enough natural sugars to ferment (that was a new one to me). He explained that sometimes yeast can end up in the tin, triggering premature fermentation that he characterized as "the jackpot."
Guess I'll be firing up a bowl later ....

jj1015":z9dwotmu said:
Wow ... I talked to Craig and he said I ended up with sugar crystals/fementation. e described it as a "pre-aged" tin ... I exressed surprise that there was enough VA in the blend or time for that to happen, and he said even burlies have enough natural sugars to ferment (that was a new one to me). He explained that sometimes yeast can end up in the tin, triggering premature fermentation that he characterized as "the jackpot."
Does it still smell like garbage?

shootist51":dj8his3d said:
jj1015":dj8his3d said:
Does it still smell like garbage?
No -- the smell has died down a lot. I'd now describe it as tangy or fruity.