Moldy pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SONNY

Reaction score
How do I clean a moldy pipe
I just found my first pipe from back in the day unfortunately it's got mold in side of it
Can it be saved?

So how bad is it? Is it like a dusting…or like Irish Moss? Does it smell? You know…mold puts little runners into the substrate of whatever it’s growing on. So it’s likely into the wood. I’d maybe sand the bowl down to bare wood and see what it looks like…and go from there. Maybe hit it with grain alcohol?

Maybe turn it into a craft project.

A0DB7DA2-70B2-478D-8D8C-BFBD75272D1F.jpeg

It's just like a dusting it's not fuzzy and only in side the pipe
I'll try the grain alcohol thank you I appreciate it

If you're not worried about the finish on the wood, I'd dump it in ISO alchohol for 24 hours. Remove the stem first obviously. This should hopefully deal with any mould in the substrate too.

Give it a thorough scrub and let it dry for a few days.

If it's natural wood, mineral oil will give it a nice finish after the above work.

I'd give the stem a good cleaning too while your at it.

Yep, I agree with Timbo. If you're worried about the outside finish, you could just give it a cotton ball/alcohol soak or two. If the outside finish is something you're open to refurbishing/re-doing, you can dump the entire briar into a glass of alcohol. In the case of just doing the soak(s), you can scrub the outside of the bowl with antibacterial soap. If I was doing it, I'd do that anyway. I'd scrub the airhway, inner bowl, and outside of the pipe with soap and running water. No matter what, you'll end up doing a little bit of refinishing.

If you're not worried about the finish on the wood, I'd dump it in ISO alchohol for 24 hours. Remove the stem first obviously. This should hopefully deal with any mould in the substrate too.

Give it a thorough scrub and let it dry for a few days.

If it's natural wood, mineral oil will give it a nice finish after the above work.

I'd give the stem a good cleaning too while your at it.
I'm a bit worried about the finish lol if I can save the finish I want to if I can't I'll definitely try out the mineral oil thank you for the tip

Yep, I agree with Timbo. If you're worried about the outside finish, you could just give it a cotton ball/alcohol soak or two. If the outside finish is something you're open to refurbishing/re-doing, you can dump the entire briar into a glass of alcohol. In the case of just doing the soak(s), you can scrub the outside of the bowl with antibacterial soap. If I was doing it, I'd do that anyway. I'd scrub the airhway, inner bowl, and outside of the pipe with soap and running water. No matter what, you'll end up doing a little bit of refinishing.
Ok thank you I'll give the cotton balls a try hopefully I can save the finish lol