Mom's Chili Recipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 4351

Reaction score
Mom passed away in 2013, and my sister recently came across this recipe Mom used for her chili. Given that some of the coldest weather in Colorado comes in February, I'll be making a batch of this soon, and I thought I'd share. Hot chili, cold beer or whiskey, and a quiet pipe just sounds like the perfect way to spend a winter evening.

This was one of the favorite dishes in our family, especially garnished with a good, sharp cheddar. I also recommend a healthy helping of sour cream, stirred in until the cheese is thoroughly melted and the sour cream turns the chili a shade paler.

My Dad used to make the BEST chili ever (I may a little biased though). He died back in 08 and had never written down his recipe. My little brother, the chef in the family, spent some time trying to recreate it from what was left of the last batch made but never got it just right. It is a shame the recipe is last. Glad to hear you still have your Mom's recipe to keep the legend alive.

D.L.Ruth":rjk2nnrk said:
My Dad used to make the BEST chili ever (I may a little biased though). He died back in 08 and had never written down his recipe. My little brother, the chef in the family, spent some time trying to recreate it from what was left of the last batch made but never got it just right. It is a shame the recipe is last. Glad to hear you still have your Mom's recipe to keep the legend alive.
That is a shame you haven't been able to recreate the recipe. Mom's recipe, the way I make it, comes close, but it still lacks the nuances of her practiced hand and that certain "Mom magic" that seems to have been an integral part of her meals. She could make the chili and most other recipes without even thinking, and I don't think I'll ever be able to copy what she could do in the kitchen.

Still, whenever I do make her recipe, it's enriched by the good memories I have of her, and that is something special on its own.