Monitoring blood pressure?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWSmith

Reaction score
I'm posting this here because some of the new monitors have Bluetooth and much more high tech sensors than they use to so they're sort of a Technology gadget ... maybe. :D

I've been bugging my wife, who is an RN, BSN, to check my blood pressure for quite a while but there seems to always be something more important (???) for her to do. Maybe she's hoping I'll stroke out. I'm getting a bit worried because my doctor changed my medication on my last visit and I haven't checked it since.

How do you guys monitor your blood pressure? Our old BP monitor bit the dust so I can't check it by myself. Do any of you recommend a particular BP monitor?

Bought mine at CVS and check it with a machine at work during weekdays. I went from taking 300mg to 150mg and now at 75mg by losing weight. Started running 2 years ago to drop the weight. For the last six months I started running in local 5k and 10k races. Bought a mountain bike few months back and been enjoying riding that also for some extra excercise.

Last edited:
Whatever machine you decide on, try sitting and relaxing for 10 minutes before taking the reading. Also, feet on the floor as said, machine about heart level. I've tried this vs just a rushed reading, and truly saw a difference. Quite the opposite of how I've usually had it done at a Dr.'s office. About 6 years ago, they changed the threshold for what is borderline high BP by lowering it to the 130's range. Makes you wonder... I have taken medicine and don't advocate not using it to lower BP, but I've seen beet juice lower mine before.

I have an Omron Series 3. I check it with the Dr.'s office and it is close to the reading they get. I've had it
for 5 years at least. Also shows your pulse rate. It's battery powered. About 35-40 dollars. Walmart.

I have an Omron Series 3. I check it with the Dr.'s office and it is close to the reading they get. I've had it
for 5 years at least. Also shows your pulse rate. It's battery powered. About 35-40 dollars. Walmart.
Thanks for also stating the brand and model. I keep seeing the Omron monitors recommended in reviews but having an individual recommend one carries more weight in my mind.

Yeah, whatever you get take it to your Dr’s office and do a side by side. If yours says 120/80 and there’s says 130/90 you’ll know how much to “adjust” your readings at home. Either that or return it and try again. But from what I’ve seen when shopping for my own most of the regular brand portables are pretty accurate.

On a humorous note (when have I not) I looked up the portable my wife recently bought. It works well for her…an upper arm type. Mine is a wrist type…Omron (?) and is fine as well. But use the link and check out the bullet point description of the one below. Each one of the points is about magnetic glamour false eyelashes. Hmmmm. Truth in advertising?

I just use one I bought at Walmart. It seems to be accurate as I have compared my results to what I get at the Dr or the units at the drugstores

I’m a hands on medical professional, and what we were taught in school is to tell the patient to sit for 10-15 minutes before a BP reading, and that manual BPs are the gold standard. I’ve got big upper arms and I have yet to find an automated machine that gets what they get at the doc’s office, with the doctor’s office generally being lower.

Some tips on getting an accurate reading:
1) sit for 10-15 minutes before taking your BP.
2) try and take it every day at the same time.
3) try and take your BP meds at the same time every day, and at least an hour before you take your BP.
4) use the correct cuff size.
5) use the same arm.

As for a BP machine, I bought the mid tier one from Walmart (Omron, $20-30 bucks) and wish I’d gone with the more expensive one. This one is consistent, but reads high.

Hope this is helpful!

Mine is an Omron BP7450 which I bought at Walgreens. I forget price but I think $60 range.
Checked out at the doctor's office as good.

I use a cuff I bought from Walgreens years ago and it seems to work fine. As soon as I get up I sit up with my feet over the bed and turn it on. Sometimes it is scary low, other times it is high but not crazy high. My doctor told me to cut 2 of the meds in half because they were too low. After I do that I have to check my sugar. It is usually pretty good as I try to eat healthy. It does jack up when I eat a huge bowl of Fruit Loops. I only do it a couple times a year.