Moose Encounter with Coffee and Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trout Bum

Reaction score
Greetings, fellow Pipers...

I opened up the back door this morning to go out and enjoy a morning cup of joe and a pipe... this moose calf was there to greet me!

The calf wandered over to the rest of the family and proceeded to hang around. They are still bedded down out there after more than three hours... kinda cool.

Anyway, eventually, after they bedded down for a nap in the yard, I smoked a bowl of Royal Yacht in a Pete 306 system pipe. The Yacht was incredibly smooth and cool, yet was full bodied and had a huge nic hit... tasty! Smoked awesome right to the dottle. Most satisfying, I must say.

Cheers to all,

TB

That is one hell of a morning cup of coffee and a pipe. I would have had to make it a pipe full of 4 Blind Moose. Hahaha

Living in Ohio I get greeted by deer quite often. Never a moose though.

That's too cool!

Years back, while visiting some family in MT, my wife and I stepped out on the deck to have a cigarette. Just below us drinking out of the river was a moose calf. My wife says, "That's the ugliest horse I've ever seen." :lol:

To her credit she wasn't wearing her glasses but damned if that stopped me from ridiculing her relentlessly. No wonder it didn't last...

Way cool!!

The only thing I get greeted with are coyotes, javalinas, rattlers and scorpions :evil:

Thanks for the pics, moose sightings are rare in my neck of the woods!

Cool post Trout Bum. makes me wish i had more to look at here than other peaple.

That's definitely as neat as a pocket on a shirt, brother TB!!! It is amazing to me how the moose seem to be completely devoid of any fear of a human! Just out of curiosity, have you ever had any problems arise from their lack of fear of humans?

Robert

beebiz":0f5al6b0 said:
That's definitely as neat as a pocket on a shirt, brother TB!!! It is amazing to me how the moose seem to be completely devoid of any fear of a human! Just out of curiosity, have you ever had any problems arise from their lack of fear of humans?

Robert
Hell Broom, you couldn't even get membership to the Moose Lodge!
We have a saying in Kansas, Fear the Beard. Believe me a moose would fear you and run! :lol!:

Falconer":0trab6dt said:
We have a saying in Kansas, Fear the Beard.
That's because the only thing you guys can grow on your face is those short, stubby sticker bushes!!!!!!!! If you could grow a nice, soft, french tickler liken mine, they would be loved... instead of feared... just like mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Robert

beebiz":qiko835a said:
Falconer":qiko835a said:
That's because the only thing you guys can grow on your face is those short, stubby sticker bushes!!!!!!!! If you could grow a nice, soft, french tickler liken mine, they would be loved... instead of feared... just like mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robert

Good job Brother! You replied in less than 500 words! That's better than a pocket on a bee shirt!

Falconer":x4ohf9yx said:
beebiz":x4ohf9yx said:
Falconer":x4ohf9yx said:

Robert

Good job Brother! You replied in less than 500 words! That's better than a pocket on a bee shirt!
I don't know why word count would matter to you anyway. A narcoleptic Old Geezer like you would fall asleep reading a two word post!!!!!!!

Robert

000_0128-thumb.jpg

Blue falcon makes a visit to Tennessee.

Believe it or not, we have moose here in the Hudson Valley of NY State.......
A couple of years back, someone hit an adult moose on Route 22 in Dutchess County. It was the talk of the town. The local deli / general store had posted pictures of the moose being taken away in a front loader and the car being hauled away on a flat bed..........

Moose Sighted in Southern Dutchess County
Date:
10/05/2010
Source:poughkeepsie Journal

Wendy Rosenbach, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Environmental Conservation said as of Tuesday (Oct. 5) morning there were no reports that the young bull moose had been captured.

beebiz":45macwbk said:
Falconer":45macwbk said:

Robert
Nice to see Beeviz and Birdhead going at it again!!!!!

Hey Oubaas, define "French Tickler" is Swedish, Olga loves it!!!

.................. Damn you are a bunch of thread jackers!! :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

beebiz":l4410m6f said:

Robert
To answer your question:

Moose are definitely the nerds of the ungulate crowd. They are tall and gangly, often appear rather slow and indifferent, and are sorta goofy looking. Do not ever underestimate them. They are as common as deer here in Alaska. They can be VERY unpredictable. Especially a cow with calves! (momma instinct) Every few years or so someone up here gets stomped to death by one. In general, they are very docile and kind of geeky.

One time I was hiking with my dog on a narrow, steep, heavily foliaged mountain trail. I surprised a HUGE bull moose who was apparently feeling a little froggy. He chased my dog and me off the trail, and proceeded to aggressively rush at us at any attempt to get back up on the trail. This went on for almost an hour! This bull was over six feet at the shoulder, and his monster rack easily spanned over five feet. (I had plenty of opportunity to admire his size) A trophy bully moose that is upset with you is really something to behold. Eventually, he wandered off, but there was a moment or two when I thought I might have to spend the night in the brush!

Alaskan Tactics For Evasion of Aggressive or Charging Moose: Do not ever try to outrun them -- get behind a tree. You're golden if you can put an obstacle between you and the moose; they can't run around stuff very well!

During a heavy snow year, moose come down out of the mountains and into the Anchorage bowl to feed on easier to access vegetation and trees and stuff. Sometimes, I see them in my neighborhood, literally, daily. And I live smack in the middle of downtown!

In closing, I would like to add that pockets on t-shirts are indeed neat-o.

Interesting read here TB, as you know we do not have those here in RSA. Good to learn new things!!

TB, I know moose can be odd... to say the least. I've never encountered one... personally. But, years ago, I drove a tractor trailer for a company that made many trips to Jay, ME. And, they told me stories about moose that had been standing in the middle of the road, a trucker blew their horn at the moose for it to move, and the moose then charged the truck... ramming it until the truck was totaled out!!! I was also told by the folks in Jay, ME that occasionally a train would attract attention from a moose. Upon hearing the train's whistle at a crossing, the moose would attack the train. Fortunately for the trains, the moose couldn't damage it the way it did a tractor trailer. But, they told me the damage was still extensive.

I was also told that if I were ever confronted by a moose to do as you say and hide behind a tree... or, climb it. I was told that sometimes standing very still also works; because a moose has such poor eyesight. But, I was told that just because a moose appears to have given up and left... it isn't necessarily so. I've been told that they have an excellent sense of smell... and, don't give up easily. I was told that they will sometime go off into an area where you can no longer see them and wait for you to move. Once they hear or smell your movement, here they come again!

I don't know if any of what I was told was true or not. But, if even half of it is true, I would just as soon not meet a moose face to face!!!!! Those are still some very, very neat pictures, though!!!!!

Robert