More ebay madness

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have talked with guys at the Tinder Box saying you can get Peterson pipes for new (or just not on eBay) for cheaper. They think I'm nuts. I'm not sure what kind of magic/voodoo is surrounding Peterson right now, especially via eBay, but it's something I can't attribute reason nor logic. Shill bidding, drunken buying, insidious page layout? :lol:

Wish I could get that for mine. I bought a B10 and it looked to small for me because I like a big pipe. I like the xl315 or 307 or even the xl17 watson. I am talking big bowl. It just so danty that I cant bring myself to smoking it, never been smoked. If I put it on ebay . I would lose the money I have tied up in it, no luck. I could sell mine for way half that price.

It is crazy what some pipes will go for on Ebay.
I guess some people get so caught up in the bidding that all reason goes out the window.
There are reasonable Petersons to be had, I just picked up a Peterson Kildare for a bit over 30 bucks and it is in very nice shape.

Ebay is getting way weird. I bid on a used fly reel that you can buy new all day long for $125 with a lifetime warranty and free shipping; it's not collectible or even one of those "this is the old model made in ___ which is better than the new ones made in ___"; just a current model used reel. It went for over $100 used.

so a coin shop (I think) ends up with an extraordinary collection from a particular maker, overprices them by 50-100% or so, and then drops me a bunch of 5% off offers because I'm watching them all. A couple things: 1) I hate to see someone potentially influence the market like that, and all it takes is one seller with a collection to do it 2) I'm tempted to make an offer of $150* for a $299.99er, but I don't want to pay any credence to this kind of seller. They're pulling these prices out of their arse. There's no precedent for it at all. *I'm not an expert on pipes, but I do have a little expertise on this particular maker, and my offer would be entirely fair.

so a coin shop (I think) ends up with an extraordinary collection from a particular maker, overprices them by 50-100% or so, and then drops me a bunch of 5% off offers because I'm watching them all. A couple things: 1) I hate to see someone potentially influence the market like that, and all it takes is one seller with a collection to do it 2) I'm tempted to make an offer of $150* for a $299.99er, but I don't want to pay any credence to this kind of seller. They're pulling these prices out of their arse. There's no precedent for it at all. *I'm not an expert on pipes, but I do have a little expertise on this particular maker, and my offer would be entirely fair.
Common advice for anything on the internet "Do not feed the trolls." I agree with your resolution not to encourage scalping, even by bidding low. Leave the unscrupulous buggers hanging.