More Meer Questions

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trout Bum

Reaction score
1). How durable is a meer pipe? I notice that they all come with a hard case -- are they fragile?
2). How long do they last? I know they darken with use (which seems pretty cool), but do they eventually turn black? Do the smoking qualities change over time? Or does the meer just continue to darken, but still delivers a great smoke?

The only durability issue I would say you have with Meer's compared to a briar pipe is if you drop it on a hard surface. They are a little more fragile then a briar. I keep most of them on my pipe rack and not in the case with no ill affects. I have always been taught that you don't let them build up a cake like a briar. For this reason I think you end up with a more consistent taste of the blend when compared to a briar because of the lack of a cake build up. I have owned several Meer's for years and have not had any problems with them what so ever. I would think it would take years (10+) to get one to turn "black". I personally have never seen one get that dark from use.

Trout Bum":srwqufq5 said:
1). How durable is a meer pipe? I notice that they all come with a hard case -- are they fragile?
2). How long do they last? I know they darken with use (which seems pretty cool), but do they eventually turn black? Do the smoking qualities change over time? Or does the meer just continue to darken, but still delivers a great smoke?
I would say meers are relatively fragile. Like Mikem pointed out, if you drop it on the kitchen floor, it will probably break. Also, it cn get scratched relatively easily: I had a meer from Baki that I put on one of the transparent holders it came with only to notice later on that the sharp edge of that holder scratched the pipe.
How long do they last? Probably more than a life time: I've seen some for sale that are over 100 years old.
I have not noticed any difference in smoking qualities after smoking my Baki for 6 months at least once a day. You have to keep it cleaner than a briar they say, but I havent noticed any change after leaving a bit of cake, then removing it. I also read a message on SF from a guy who regularly meets a guy with a super dark, almost black meer in a bar, and that pipe has a thick cake in it. Go figure.

I have about 15 meers,some Baki,IMP,Altinok,CAO.One CAO is almost completely
black,that pipe must have been carved from a very pourus stone.I could almost see
the coloration progress from week to week.None of my other meers colored up like
that one.It took about 3 years to get over 60% black.
There are some guys who only have meers in their racks,they love them so.I use
mine mostly with aromatics,I prefer the briars for other tobaccos.

Winslow :sunny:

Maybe I am too rough on the pipes, but I find meers exceedingly fragile. They get scratched very easily and start showing it very quickly. My meers have smooth finish, perhaps the scratches do not show as easily in carved pipes...