More News You Can Use

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max1a

Reaction score
I post this stuff to help give you guys some ammo when you debate the Anti-tobacco Nazis. Also I hope it will help some of you realize you how close we are to becoming criminals once our choice to smoke is completely out-lawed. We must resign ourselves to this potential or start fighting back NOW!!

War on smokers is like a horror movie

As the war against smoking rages on, we should consider this quote from H.L. Mencken: "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for those who want to rule it."

Banner-carriers want to impose their will on others - by law and taxes, attacking what most consider individual rights of choice. Everyone has to ask: Where will I draw the line? Who will be there to support me and my right to choose?

The classic 1959 film "House on Haunted Hill" presents a bone-chilling image. After all the other guests in an isolated mansion have been killed one by one, the last one alive says: "They are coming for me now ..." Then he looks dead on into the camera and says: "... and then they will come for you." The evil is approaching - slow and steady:

Delcambre, La., passed a law banning the wearing of extremely baggy pants. Maximum fine is $500 and six months in jail. Mayor Carol Broussard was reported to say anyone wearing these pants should be held responsible.

San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom wants to impose a tax on stores that sell sugary soft drinks. Using the same argument employed against tobacco, Newsom connects obesity with increased health care costs to the city.

The Mississippi Legislature is considering a bill to ban restaurants from serving food to very fat people. It would revoke the license of any restaurant repeatedly feeding the obese.

A New Mexico legislator has proposed a tax on video games and televisions to help fund the fight against childhood obesity.

Chillingly, those against smoking bans enforced by law rather than choice can look at us and say, "They are coming for smokers now ... and then they will come for you."

by Jim Bailey of Newport, a graduate of Morehead State University who did graduate study at Xavier University, has been a social worker in Kentucky and Ohio for more than 35 years.