More on the new FDA regulations.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well then, I guess I'm no longer making pipes or tobacco blends anymore. Time to replant the hemp and poppies....... At least those I can sell to Price Phister or DuPont.

I stopped in my nearest B&M shop today (mostly cigars, no pipe tobacco that I'm interested in) and asked the old gent at the counter what the scoop was on the FDA regs. Here's what he said: clear sailing if the pipe tobacco was marketed prior to 2007. After that the FDA regs kick in, and no one knows how it will turn out. It makes no sense, applied to pipe tobacco, because the tobaccos used prior to 2007 are the same tobaccos used after that date and would be used in the future. Tobacco is a plant. It doesn't change from one decade to the next. It's a case of regulators over reaching and not knowing what or who they're regulating.

My .02:  This is an example of what George Will calls the administrative state at work. The regs about to be imposed were not created by elected representatives but by  groups of anonymous technical experts who can't be bothered by public preferences, are insulated from public reaction and are oblivious to the ground level consequences of their actions. It's typical of the technocrat POV. We're doing good, how can anyone not be on board with that? 

I think it was Oliver Wendell Holmes who said that due process guarantees did not simply mean that a certain process was followed by the government. It meant that the result was reasonable and fair. The modern technocrat will publicly insist on honoring the rights of individuals, but will privately work to encumber the exercise of those rights with onerous expense and drawn out administrative burdens. That's what we're seeing once again.

Ozark Wizard":d31wj0et said:
Well then, I guess I'm no longer making pipes or tobacco blends anymore. Time to replant the hemp and poppies....... At least those I can sell to Price Phister or DuPont.
Psh, what they don't know won't hurt 'em!

I plan on planting some of my own tobacco this coming year...

Speaking of regs: any snuffers who dont check the "the snuff box" forum here very often, please pop over there to read my post on the new EU snuff regs (no good news, I'm afraid).