More on the new FDA regulations.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I suppose that means we have 30 to 90 days to cellar unmolested?

Dutch":wdl5yu9k said:
So I suppose that means we have 30 to 90 days to cellar unmolested?
I guess. And can only guess. From the official disclosures on pending legislation and the explanations thereof in the media, I invariably walk away with confusion and more questions than answers, as if they wanted and intended it that way. But I would hazard a guess: this is not good. Learn to love your cellars, if you have one. If not, and if you are on the young side: bulk, bulk, bulk, bulk. Yes, I hate to say it and probably makes me a target for the breezy and jaunty haters of cellars.

I never say the sky is falling and I dislike those who do. But the sky seems to be falling. This appears to be way beyond the proverbial wake-up call. In the end, however, your guess is as good as mine.

:no: way out. :no: way out.

All indications do not look good at all. Not one little bit. Will be interesting to see how it plays out, though.

I quit smoking thanks to vaping. Several of the things the FDA wants to do to vaping is grandfathering the technology from 20 years ago (perhaps I am off on the exact # of years), Everything newer will not be permitted without extensive (expensive) testing. How would you like to go back to 8 track players? Vaping liquid producers would need an assigned chemist on site/available, with each different liquid requiring testing and licensing (and more $$ to them). Oh, and no flavors! Basically they just want Big Tobacco and Big Pharm to be the only ones to control the expanding market. And I'm sure that they would like me to go back to cigarettes, paying the various government $3.00 per pack in excise tax...bastiches..and I've got about 50 lbs of pipe tobacco stashed (g)..

I'm a tobacconist. I deal with this every day. I wretch every time I hear a government official spew some "statistic" about children abusing pipe tobacco or cigars. It's not happening. Kids aren't curious when it comes to premium tobacco, kids aren't brand aware in regards to this industry, kids aren't spending $10 on a tin of tobacco or a cigar to rush home and smoke it behind the garage with their friends, and kids aren't bombarded with this stuff the way they are alcohol and other forms of tobacco.

I'm spoken to Senators and Representatives before, and I've proposed a simple experiment to those who support FDA oversight "for the children". My experiment is to go to any grade school and ask the kids to raise their hand when they recognize the name, logo, or slogan of, or have used the products of, the following companies: Marlboro, Budweiser, Arturo Fuente, Jack Daniels, Samuel Gawith, Bacardi, Jim Beam, Coors, Camel, Montecristo. Which ones will you see hands raised for and which ones won't you see hands raised for?

Keep premium tobacco in the hands of certified, dedicated resellers so that it stays out of the hands of children, and stop attempting to oversee the industry. Simple as that. Allow adults to continue to choose to use premium tobacco; that's why we're adults.

Anyone see that the legislation has been released in PDF form now?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2016-10685.pdf

If there are any blends after 2007 you love, you may want to begin stocking up. The legislation seems to take effect in the next few months. There is some leeway:
According to this revised compliance policy, for newly deemed products that are on the market on the effective date of this final rule and were not on the market on February 15, 2007, FDA is providing a 12-month initial compliance period for manufacturers to submit (and FDA to receive) an SE exemption request, an 18-month initial compliance period for manufacturers to submit (and FDA to receive) SE applications, and a 24-month initial compliance period for manufacturers to submit (and FDA to receive) a PMTA.

This is why men should only smoke tobacco with this warning on it. The odds of getting pregnant are pretty slim.

"Reproductive Health Warning for Cigars--In the proposed deeming rule, FDA proposed
to require four of the five warnings already included on most cigar packages and in most cigar
advertisements as a result of settlement agreements between the Federal Trade Commission
(FTC) and the seven largest U.S. cigar manufacturers (hereinafter, "FTC consent decrees").
(See, e.g., In re Swisher International, Inc., Docket No. C-3964.) FDA did not propose to require
the fifth warning (SURGEON GENERAL WARNING: Tobacco Use Increases the Risk of
Infertility, Stillbirth and Low Birth Weight), but asked for comments regarding this decision.
Upon further consideration, FDA has decided to require a fifth warning regarding reproductive
health effects and cigar use specifically, which reads "WARNING: Cigar use while pregnant can
harm you and your baby." This requirement is supported by existing scientific evidence and is
appropriate for the protection of the public health. However, because the general statement
"Tobacco smoke increases the risk of infertility, stillbirth and low birth weight" is also a true
statement, and because scientific evidence demonstrates that cigar smoke is similar in content
and effects to cigarette smoke, FDA is allowing the use of the reproductive health warning
required by the FTC consent decrees as an optional alternative to the fifth FDA warning."

Page 23 of 21 CFR Parts 1100, 1140, and 1143
[Docket No. FDA-2014-N-0189]
RIN 0910-AG38

Their sense of achievement must know no bounds, dimmed only by the afterglow of mutual masturbation. Time for a cigarette all around, I'd say.

Taking the pipe & cigar market and giving it to Marlboro is a terrific idea. No chance of those big trustworthy giant corporations could ever do something like add nicotine to expedite addiction, or heaven forbid they conceal health risk. No, that's all the little guy that does all that shady stuff..

If the 2007 date confuses you.. It's when ecig mods and non-Chinese factory ecig juice really took off. 2007 is written in to kill out the ecigs that work and are more affordable than the 'gas station' ecigs.

Eventually these asshats will do something that pisses the sheep off. As it stands they are doing an awesome job of hacking us apart one group at a time, while the other groups cheer on big brother for protecting them from those evil xxxxxx. Progressive Democracy is a scary experiment.

puros_bran":uc2d7pwh said:
  Taking the pipe & cigar market and giving it to Marlboro is a terrific idea. No chance of those big trustworthy giant corporations could ever do something like add nicotine to expedite addiction, or heaven forbid they conceal health risk. No, that's all the little guy that does all that shady stuff..

If the 2007 date confuses you.. It's when ecig mods and non-Chinese factory ecig juice really took off.  2007 is written in to kill out the ecigs that work and are more affordable than the 'gas station' ecigs.  

Eventually these asshats will do something that pisses the sheep off. As it stands they are doing an awesome job of hacking us apart one group at a time, while the other groups cheer on big brother for protecting them from those evil xxxxxx.  Progressive Democracy is a  scary experiment.  
Right?

Indeed..............

I added all of my favorite blends from 2007 onward to a cart to see what the cost would be. Oh, brother, I may just have to do without tobacco. Missionaries can't be spending $800 on tobacco in one stretch. :evil:

Bad news all around, but not all hope is lost.

There remains an approved amendment by the House Appropriations committee that would (1) established the "grandfather" date as the date that this policy is adopted, instead of 2007 and (2) deny some level of funding to the FDA if "premium" (no definition given) tobacco products are not offered an exemption.

Is it a long shot? Absolutely. But then again, Congress has fairly decent track record of leaving pipe/cigar tobacco out of major sweeping changes, particularly considering the real driving force behind this is Big Tobacco looking to push out the segment of the e-cig/vape market they don't control.

Stock up, keep an eye on the news, but I'm not convinced the time has come to hit the panic button.

how does this affect the gawith ropes/twists? Couldn't these be sold as technically chewing tobacco?

What really bums me out is we'll never get the the lakeland stuff over here..allt he good plugs, the truly scented flakes and plugs like bosun plug and flake...such a bummer

http://www.fda.gov/TobaccoProducts/Labeling/ProductsIngredientsComponents/ucm482580.htm

The link above insinuates that pipes will also be regulated.

FDA now regulates the manufacture, import, packaging, labeling, advertising, promotion, sale, and distribution of pipe tobacco. This includes components and parts such as pipes, but excludes accessories such as lighters. “Components” or “parts” include, among other things, software or an assembly of materials intended or reasonably expected to alter or affect the tobacco product’s performance, composition, constituents, or characteristics; or to be used with or for the human consumption of a tobacco product.
Another interesting, albeit bogus statistic:

Nationwide, 1% (an estimated 150,000) of high school students currently smoke pipes.1
What type of pipes? What goes in those pipes? I'm willing to bet it isn't tobacco.