More thinking on counterfeits

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfredo_buscatti

Reaction score
Unless I am trained in counterfeit detection, how can I feel confident in the goods unless I apply that training to what I buy? There are estimated to be many counterfeits on the market. I think confidence in a retailer must be earned by myself each time I buy and inspect the product. My confidence in a retailer means that I will buy from him, provisionally, until I can make my own determination. Making someone else responsible for me usually spells disaster.

The International Cuban Cigar Club has a whole forum devoted to counterfeits. In a very good article one of the members states that although it is possible to detect counterfeits, it is not possible to know certainly that something is genuine. Though this is a conservative standard, I am comfortable with it as a bottom line.

Moreover in reading a thread on the above forum devoted to discussing Partagas Lusitanias, the outcome of a group buy for same is discussed, and in the end there is a disagreement between the retailer, who has been involved with Cubans for some time, who maintains that the cigars are genuine while the purchasers feel they are counterfeit.

All of which makes me feel that Cubans are way too much trouble. I'd love to smoke them but given all the counterfeits, in the end I feel this is not a stabile product.

Maybe on the pipe side of things, we should embrace them. It is like the fake Rolex people were telling Growley to buy while in China. If you could pick up a faux "Dunhill" birthyear pipe in the shape of your choice just for fun, would you?

Well, you can avoid counterfeit Cuban cigars by only buying Cubans from reputable vendors, such as the La Casa del Habano franchises, duty free stores, and vendors in Switzerland, the UK and other countries who sell internationally.

Just be aware, OFAC doesn't play with Cubans.
The fines are RIDICULOUS and you can guarantee, "You will be on the radar" when you travel overseas / return to the States.

PS: The Swiss stuff gets intercepted quite a bit. Canada, not so much.......:mrgreen:

Fr_Tom":2lydp58f said:
Maybe on the pipe side of things, we should embrace them. It is like the fake Rolex people were telling Growley to buy while in China. If you could pick up a faux "Dunhill" birthyear pipe in the shape of your choice just for fun, would you?
I bought that fake Rolex by the way...except it was a fake Omega Seamaster. I liked it better. It looks very pretty...but loses about 5 minutes or more a day. I still love the watch, but I'm sure a real one wouldn't lose that much time, at least I hope it wouldn't.

"Wanted to let you know, not only that the Cubans you buy not be genuine but that the US regulatory agency that monitors contraband import items might well fine you."

Jeez, where do I sign up?