Most smoked of 2014

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PS's LBF and SG's FVF, the first because I like it and the second just to get rid of it.

Richard Burley":exh68gxt said:
PS's LBF and SG's FVF, the first because I like it and the second just to get rid of it.
I've been led to believe that FVF is the best tobacco ever made in the whole, wide world?

I have some on order now

SpeedyPete":jayfru1u said:
Richard Burley":jayfru1u said:
I've been led to believe that FVF is the best tobacco ever made in the whole, wide world?

I have some on order now
It's OK. Tastes like real tobacco and has nicotine, but that's about it for this guy's palate. Maybe aging would help? Dunno. (I don't do the aging thing, except by accident when overstocked on stuff, as the case now seems. As an operating principle, if it's not ready to go when I buy it, to hell with it.)

Richard Burley":u7pgr6dd said:
SpeedyPete":u7pgr6dd said:
Richard Burley":u7pgr6dd said:

I have some on order now
It's OK. Tastes like real tobacco and has nicotine, but that's about it for this guy's palate. Maybe aging would help? Dunno. (I don't do the aging thing, except by accident when overstocked on stuff, as the case now seems. As an operating principle, if it's not ready to go when I buy it, to hell with it.)  
Richard, I'm with you all the way. I only "stock" about 3 months worth of tobacco, have no cellar.

I've only ordered one tin of FVF to see/taste what all the raving is about. Also ordered one tin of St James flake for the same reason. My go to tobacco is Irish Oak because I can go to my local B&M and buy some when I need it. That's about the only decent tobacco I can buy here. I love and always have 4noggins Prairie Wind and, of course, LBF and LNF.

I keep enough Escudo to last me at least 6 months because when I crave it, I want it. I've run out of stock once and when I tried to order more, it was out of stock at 4noggins from whom I buy all my stuff. And postal services to South Africa is bad and sometimes it takes months for stuff to reach me.

For the rest, I don't worry. I smoke OGS as well but won't die if I don't have some for a while.

I'm a pipesmoker, not a tobacco collector :twisted:

For me its probably a 3 way tie between C&D Haunted Bookshop, Old Joe Krantz, and Carter Hall. It was an interesting year in terms of pallet for me. I finally decided that I'm never going to find an aromatic or straight virginia that I will like. No offense to the guys that love them, but my taste buds just can't appreciate those sorts of blends. I also finally figured out that my aversion to perique was really an aversion to Va perique. Needless to say, my 2013 list would have looked very different.
Mike.

Richard Burley":hw90pcnl said:
There are starving kids in India smoking bidis because they have no FVF. Don't waste it by smoking what you don't like. I'm sure tons of people would trade for it.

I'm a FVF fan, although I like BBF a bit better.

Brand is probably MacBaren, since I've been working through their line-up.

Blend is up in the air. It's varied too much as I've done a lot of sampling and gone on kicks of this or that. The genre is definitely VA-KY or straight VA, though. I've gotten a lot more into those blends.

Blend: Toss up between LBF and 5100
Brand: Definitely McClelland. In my opinion, you really can't go wrong with McKetchup!

Blend: BBF
Brand: GLP or SG, so close I'm not immediately sure.

GLP Embarcadero (...shocking...)
C&D Billy Budd

Some distant runners up:

GH&Co Happy Brown Bogie
Dun(g)hill EMP
GLP Key Largo
GLP Robusto

8)

I spent 2014 investigating lat blends. I pop a tin and then pretty much smoke the whole thing and I'm
still doing this at present. I still have not tried everything in my stash. So no most smoked for me.

Capt. Black Dark
1-Q
LL-7
Carter Hall
If Molto Dolce was cheaper, it would be #1

Definitely dunhill 965, love that stuff.

Close second would be Prince Albert. I've been breaking in new pipes a lot this year.

Top brand is dunhill overall. Going to try to branch out some this year though.

Nightcap. Spread my time around quite a bit, but that particular blend saw some particular attention.

Most smoked blend: H&H Larry's Blend - it's my go to morning smoke.

Most smoked brand: Dunhill

Carter Hall. 2015 will be H&H Classic Burley Kake. I had smoked CH exclusively for years, but this fall I was gifted some CBK and have not looked back. I don't experiment and try any other blends. It is how we old codgers started, and it works for me.

2014 was the year my top two, became the big three. Hal o the Wynd now stands comfortably in line with FVF and Blackwoods Flake. I probably went through twice as much HOTW as any other single blend. I may well have smoked as much HOTW as FVF and Blackwoods Flake combined.