Most underrated blender?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tombstone Smoker

Reaction score
There's many big, legendary, well-publicised, respected or even infamous blenders out there. No doubt we've all smoked their works over the years.

This said, I'd like to propose a potential sticky thread, where my brothers could propose one, just one blender whom they think is grossly underfollowed and underrated. Please feel free to add any rationale you like, or none at all.

I suppose I should start with mine:

Rich Gottlieb 🔥

Thanks all. I look forward to your thoughts.

🪦 Tombstone

Easy for me. My vote goes to my favorite blender…with one honorable mention.

Even though well respected and enjoyed by many…it’s less than he deserves…he’s John Patton. Half a dozen if his worthy blends are available via 4 Noggins, and only there. His stellar combo of several cube cut Burleys and Cigar Leaf, Stormfront, is well known and very popular among those in the know. Other than that he’s best known for his incredibly subtle and balanced blends using up to a half dozen components. For a variety of reasons, Dark Horse is among my favorites.

Honorable Mention goes to Steve Books, a hometown boy trained by Comoy in England. His blends, once available via Rich’s in Portland, Oregon are legendary and the stuff dreams are made of…pipe dreams anyway.

John (RIP) is real good. In fact, I have two of his blends inbound right now. This said, he's a legend in the pipe smoking community. Now Ernie and Steve are names I don't know, but I'll try anybody's stuff 🙂

Keep 'em coming boys

Storm Front, but I have: Quadruple Virginia
& Virginia Squire inbound.

I'm starting to get into VAs more after working my way through half a bag of The Country Squire's Cowboy Coffee, a great mild blend.

Naturally, I'd say Tobacco Jesus is a first-rate blender too, but he's a living legend, definitely not underrated.

I'm not very knowledgeable compared to the majority of BoB, and I like blends tried from most of the guys already mentioned. Still, I'd like to mention Ken Byron of Ken Byron Ventures. I really like Golf Fore Glory!, but it is gone gone gone... I've learned my lesson by not paying attention to the limited blend notes.

John Patton - check
Steve Books - check
Carol Burns, formerly of Wilke. I'm given to understand the QA continues
Uhles - what my late Pap smoked exclusively, and what I started on
Park Lane
LJ Peretti

Honorable mention to The Pipe and Pint, even though it looks like they no longer produce my favorite blend from the - 6 Virginias.

That's what I got....

Cheers,

RR

Easy for me. My vote goes to my favorite blender…with one honorable mention.

Even though well respected and enjoyed by many…it’s less than he deserves…he’s John Patton. Half a dozen if his worthy blends are available via 4 Noggins, and only there. His stellar combo of several cube cut Burleys and Cigar Leaf, Stormfront, is well known and very popular among those in the know. Other than that he’s best known for his incredibly subtle and balanced blends using up to a half dozen components. For a variety of reasons, Dark Horse is among my favorites.

Honorable Mention goes to Steve Books, a hometown boy trained by Comoy in England. His blends, once available via Rich’s in Portland, Oregon are legendary and the stuff dreams are made of…pipe dreams anyway.
Steve Books passed away a couple of years ago, a very nice man, I met him At Rich´s in 09 RIP.