Motorcyclists: At what temperature outside don't you ride?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
This was a typical late Minnesota October morning. Temperature at 9:00 am was 36 degrees, sunny and a bit windy. It was cold outside, but no rain, sleet, or snow; dry streets, roads, and highways. I don't think I've ever seen so many motorcycles out and about this late in the year with temperatures under 40. In my 20s, when I rode, I didn't really care what the temperature was if the the streets and highways were clear and safe, but I did often freeze my cashews.

When I lived in the midwest, Neb, Iowa, MN, I would ride down into the 20s as long as streets were clear. Below 20 you had to start watching out for "black ice". I would usually ride right up to mid Dec put the bike away before Xmas, and take it out again in late Feb/early March depending on snow and street conditions. And yes, I made a lot of rides with frozen cajones. Now I don't usually ride if it's below 50. SoCal spoiled me for cold weather riding. Lol.

I can get comfortable down to 40, below that is a bit fierce. A few years ago, I went to town and it was 48 or 50. Didn't leave town til almost dark. It was 32. I live several miles out in the country (15 or 16). Stopped at our little bar and a fellow said, "I sure hope you are on a snowmobile", as I was pulling off my helmet and gloves. I replied, "Nope, up on two." Had a shot and continued home. Swore I would not get caught out at that temp again. Haven't either.

In the late 1970s, I was pulling a morning drive radio shift at a North Dakota radio station. The studio and transmitter were located off a gravel country road. My on-air began at 5:00 am. It was late November and there was already some snow, but I knew the gravel road had already been "dragged" not plowed. My car and bike were both garaged, but when I went out to my car, an AMC Hornet, the battery was dead. I phoned for a taxi and got no answer. The battery for my Kawasaki KZ400 was in the house. Quick thinking, I put the battery in the bike, kick started it and off I rode, very happy that I wouldn't get fired for a no-show.
On the gravel road, after a successful ride down the totally clear highway, I took a curve much too fast and the rear wheel slid out and the bike and I hit gravel, then slid in the snow in the adjoining field. It all happened within seconds. I popped up to check the bike; no damage, just some steam coming off the muffler. I'd hit the gravel with enough force to tear the side of my jeans. I knew I'd have some rash, but the bike was fine and I'd be at work on time.

That was my first and last experience with road rash. For about a year, I was plucking pieces of gravel out of the side of my thigh and butt. Riding home, I went very slowly on that gravel road.

Could fill up a book with cold ride tales but one in particular stands out. Was going to ride from Socal back to Tucson for Thanksgiving, Nov of 2000. Headed.out about 3 pm, planned to be in Az by 10 pm. On the way out of Camarillo picked up a nail in my rear tire. Called the Harley shop and they came and got the bike. By the time they got the new tire on and I headed out, again, it was close to 6 pm. Traffic on I 5 down to San Diego was brutal. Even splitting lanes it took me over 3 hours, so I wound up crossing the desert through Yuma around 10 or so. Temp was down to 28 degrees. Got to Tucson around 1 am. Not only my cashews but my entire body felt like it was in a deep freeze. Should have found a motel in Yuma, but I had a hot girl friend waiting in Tucson. Took her an hour to thaw me out, lol.

So, here's the real question: I had more than one occasion in my motorcycle life where I did something stupid and the bike and I went down. On each occasion before I even thought about whether I'd broken a bone, I checked on whether the bike had been damaged. Is that the average biker S.O.P.? Check on the bike first...or was I nutz?

When I first got the KZ400, I kept forgetting that there was a gas shut-off/on valve. The bike would start without my opening the gas valve and I could ride a short stretch because of the residual gas in the carburetor.
My apartment was less than one block from Minneapolis' Lake Street, a main thoroughfare. I'd completely forgotten to turn the gas valve to the on position. I got on Lake Street, traveled about two blocks and got to a red light. As I sat at the red light, waiting for green, the bike died. I was in the right lane. I could not get the bike started because the gas line was shut off and cars were stacked up behind me. Finally, the car that had been directly behind me swung around in the left lane, slowed to almost a stop, when the guy in the passenger seat yelled, "Turn on the gas, Asshole!"

I turned on the gas, the bike started, and totally embarrassed, I gave the bike far too much gas and let out the clutch too fast. The bike did a wheel stand and went over backward. Thank God I'd spent the money on a very high tech multi-layered eggshell helmet that crushed and absorbed the impact when my head hit the pavement. It was a helmet that was good for one impact, then replace. I was fine. The bike was fine. The helmet was trash and was replaced as soon as I got to the Kawasaki dealership. But, again...the first thing I checked was whether the bike was okay.

Depends on the severity of the incident and whether or not you are able to get up. Guess I've been lucky. Every time I went down I was able to get back on my feet, and yes, the first thing I did, every time. was check the bike for rideability.

21F That was the coldest morning. I had the bike to work one year nearly every working day in February. I had 23 miles of Interstate and about 8 miles of two-lane hwy and then city traffic. The temperature really seemed to warm up nicely when I slowed down coming off the Interstate. That was on a 700 Honda Sabre with a windshield. The big advantage of the bike was ease of parking around the state capital.

I spent some time at my younger daughter's house on Monday. On Monday and Friday, I meet the school bus for my grandchildren. While I was there, a friend of my son-in-law dropped by. He's a former co-worker, now retired. I'd guess he's in his late 60s. He's a lifelong bachelor who looks like he hasn't got two pennies to rub together and, from what my son-in-law related, an expert I.T/I.S. professional. His car is an old rusted out Subaru Legacy wagon.
I asked my son-in-law "What gives with the guy?"
Apparently, the friend spends his money on the latest computer gear and on his motorcycles. He rides big Hondas and when he buys a new one, keeps all the older ones. I really wonder how many bikers are like that; have several because they can't seem to part with the bike they've been riding.
Some may remember a recent auction at a Minnesota farm, where the family of the deceased was auctioning off over 50 motorcycles. In the auction brochure it mentioned that the deceased couldn't resist buying motorcycles that caught his attention.

Never counted up how many I had over the years, but the most at any one time was 5. Because I moved a lot and never had storsge space, I was limited in what I could keep. If I lived on a farm with unlimited storage and never moved, I would probably still have them all. Lol.

I was on a bike tour of Glacier Nat Pk back in '77 on my Kawasaki Z1 and crossed over into the town of West Glacier where I spent the night. I had been camping but it was pretty chilly so opted for a motel instead. When I got up the next morning there was maybe 1" snow on the ground, and this was mid-July! I crept out of town very slowly that morning until it got sunny enough to melt the snowfall. Don't know the temps but suffice to say they were probably in the 30's.

Cheers,

RR

You have to be careful at higher elevations. Back in July of 93 I was headed to the 4 corners rally in Ignacio CO. Got caught in a full blown snowstorm going over Wolf Creek pass on Hway 160. On a full dresser Harley. By the time I crept my way down the mountain into Pagosa Springs I was frozen. The 1st 3 motels I hit were full already. 4th place I hit was an old mom and pop motel called The Choo Choo with rooms the size of a broom closet. A very memorable trip, lol.

The 1st 3 motels I hit were full already. 4th place I hit was an old mom and pop motel called The Choo Choo with rooms the size of a broom closet. A very memorable trip, lol.
More than once, traveling through MN, N.D., Montana in my car, I got caught in blizzards and the highways were literally shut down. Motels were full and wound up sleeping asses to elbows on the floor of accommodating motel lobbies.

Here it is Saturday, November 27 and there were lots of guys out on highways riding motorcycles. There's not a speck of snow and this afternoon it hit 40 degrees with virtually no wind. People were out raking leaves and although the nearby public golf course is officially closed, there were alot of people on the course. I'm sure the local ski hills are getting worried about this warmer weather.