Mouth tasted like ashtray for 36 hours - What did I do wrong?

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

SteelyJ

Reaction score
So I haven't smoked much the past year or two, and lately I started dusting off the old pipes to enjoy this fall weather. I had a small bowl of HU Director's Cut a couple weeks ago, and all was good. Earlier this week however, I took one of my Boswell pipes and packed some Escudo I had cellared away in a jar. I used a pipe cleaner to clean out the bowl first, to make sure it wasn't dusty or anything. Rubbed out the Escudo, let it sit for a little and packed it up. While smoking it seemed mostly fine - but afterwards was very unpleasant. I had this ashtray taste in my mouth and in the back of my throat, and my mouth was also very dry. I didn't drink much water (if any now that I think a bout it) while smoking - but right afterwards I had a big glass of water. This crappy taste and feel stuck around that evening even after brushing my teeth, tongue and roof of mouth, and after the morning brushing - it lingered most of that day. During my lunch break I grabbed some Listerine and that seemed to help.

What did I do wrong? Am I just so used to not smoking, or could it have been that I puffed too hard and fast? I didn't have tongue bite. Should I have been drinking more during my smoke?

Anyway, it was very unpleasant and I don't think I've ever had that happen to me before.

Jevverrett

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Considering your sense of taste includes your whole mouth and nasal cavity, you may well have shellacked inside your whole head with smoke. Not being as used to the smoke as you are familiar with smoking, it may have been a bit much. Kind of a sensory overload. Non smokers don’t necessarily enjoy the smell of pipe smoke more than any other variety of tobacco.

I’m not sure how you smoke. For myself, the retrohale is a big part of getting the full flavor of tobacco. Kind of like nosing whisky.

SteelyJ

Reaction score
I did retrohale a few times - as I do enjoy that.
Also - I smoked a pipe of Penzance this weekend and I felt absolutely fine, none of the effects I described in the original post. I'll have another VaPer soon and I just hope it was something with my technique or smoking it too hard and not a weird reaction to any of the tobacco, since I always loved VaPers.

Niblick

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Makes me wonder if you smoked that bowl all the way down to the nasty part of the dottle. I rarely take the time to dry my tobacco the way I should and just kind of load and go with where the moisture content is at and stop smoking before I get to the dottle. I load the bottom of the bowl with a cheap bulk straight Virginia just barely above the draft hole and fill the rest of the bowl with the tobacco I want to smoke.

I have to be honest and did not think of this myself but read an article by Steve Fallen aka Pipestud. This is his way to approach the dottle issue and blends that put him off near the end of the bowl.

SteelyJ

Reaction score
Makes me wonder if you smoked that bowl all the way down to the nasty part of the dottle. I rarely take the time to dry my tobacco the way I should and just kind of load and go with where the moisture content is at and stop smoking before I get to the dottle. I load the bottom of the bowl with a cheap bulk straight Virginia just barely above the draft hole and fill the rest of the bowl with the tobacco I want to smoke.

I have to be honest and did not think of this myself but read an article by Steve Fallen aka Pipestud. This is his way to approach the dottle issue and blends that put him off near the end of the bowl.
Yeah - I might have smoked it too far down.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
I've ran into this in the past because the tobacco was too dry. Something as simple as that can ruin a day.