Moving again

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D.L.Ruth

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
About half way through yet another move. Renting can be tough at times. Just like last year the owner we were renting from decided to sell and we got pushed out. Got most of the things moved into the new house and will probably spend the rest of my Christmas leave unpacking and setting up.

I feel your pain! 14 PCS moves in 11 years of active duty. Plus I don’t know how many TDYs during that 11 years😬😬😬

Can't even remember how many times I moved in my 40 year+ career in aviation. I do know by the time I retired I had owned 14 homes. Only time it wasn't a total pain was when the company paid for everything including packing, temp housing, etc. Glad I don't expect to ever do it again. Plan to croak right here. Cochise and I have a bet going on who goes first, lol.

Renting can be tough at times. Just like last year the owner we were renting from decided to sell and we got pushed out.
I feel your pain. In 1972, I took a job in Duluth, MN. I rented a house that had basically been a summer home, literally on the shoreline of Lake Superior. The exterior was nice, but the prior tenants, a group of "kids" had torn the interior apart. The rent was very cheap! There were holes in the walls, torn up carpeting, chunks of linoleum missing in the kitchen. When I looked at the house with the realtor/owner, I saw potential and made a deal. I'd do some repairs if the owner would subtract the cost of materials from my rent. Over the course of a couple of months, I repaired all the wall and ceiling damage and painted every wall and ceiling. I removed the torn carpeting and floor moulding when I discovered that under it the floor was tongue and groove aged fir. Then I moved all the kitchen appliances to the garage while I stripped off all the linoleum. Over the course of a weekend, I rented a floor sander and sanded all the flooring on the main floor. Once sanded, I applied Watco penetrating floor finish. I reattached all the mouldings. The floors turned out beautiful. The complete interior looked terrific.

About a week after I sent in all the receipts for materials and sanding equipment rentals, the owner dropped by with a Polaroid camera. He looked at the finished product, took several photographs, and said, "I can't believe how beautiful this house looks. I'm putting it up for sale tomorrow. Until it's sold, you have no rent. I was thrilled.

A few days later, he phoned me and said the house sold, sight unseen, except for the pictures he'd taken.
I had 30 days from the 1st of the next month to move out.
No, I didn't have a lease, because I wasn't certain how long I'd be at the new job.

50 years later, the episode still pisses me off.

Last edited:
I feel your pain. In 1972, I took a job in Duluth, MN. I rented a house that had basically been a summer home, literally on the shoreline of Lake Superior. The exterior was nice, but the prior tenants, a group of "kids" had torn the interior apart. The rent was very cheap! There were holes in the walls, torn up carpeting, chunks of linoleum missing in the kitchen. When I looked at the house with the realtor/owner, I saw potential and made a deal. I'd do some repairs if the owner would subtract the cost of materials from my rent. Over the course of a couple of months, I repaired all the wall and ceiling damage and painted every wall and ceiling. I removed the torn carpeting and floor moulding when I discovered that under it the floor was tongue and groove aged fir. Then I moved all the kitchen appliances to the garage while I stripped off all the linoleum. Over the course of a weekend, I rented a floor sander and sanded all the flooring on the main floor. Once sanded, I applied Watco penetrating floor finish. I reattached all the mouldings. The floors turned out beautiful. The complete interior looked terrific.

About a week after I sent in all the receipts for materials and sanding equipment rentals, the owner dropped by with a Polaroid camera. He looked at the finished product, took several photographs, and said, "I can't believe how beautiful this house looks. I'm putting it up for sale tomorrow. Until it's sold, you have no rent. I was thrilled.

A few days later, he phoned me and said the house sold, sight unseen, except for the pictures he'd taken.
No, I didn't have a lease, because I wasn't certain how long I'd be at the new job.

Yup. You sure got shafted! No bueno!

(n)

Cheers,

RR

Ouch!

That is nasty Steve, that owner was a complete wanker. And DL, I hate moving too, glad I've finally bought somewhere after twenty years of renting. You used to be able to get a couple of years on a lease here, by the time I was finished, 6 months was the longest you could get as they liked to flip the tenants every 6 months and up the rent each time. I won't get into my opinion of real estate agents out of politeness.

That is terrible. My wife and I had a similar deal in our first house. We had a one year lease which converted to a month to month arrangement.
We did some work, but nothing on that scale, and with less craftsmanship.

About half way through yet another move. Renting can be tough at times. Just like last year the owner we were renting from decided to sell and we got pushed out. Got most of the things moved into the new house and will probably spend the rest of my Christmas leave unpacking and setting up.
Have you got settled into the new place?