Mt. Vernon

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justpipes

Reaction score
My wife, Jo, and I have been in the DC area most of the week and we visited Mt. Vernon, the home of George Washington. It is one of the most interesting historical sites in the country to visit IMHO.
It was very refreshing to be reminded of the integrity that our forefathers walked in while they were birthing our great nation. Particularly that of George Washington. He was an incredible individual. To me it was especially meaningful during this time in history and while the 2008 presidential race is heating up.

Here are a few photos of Mt. Vernon that I took.

My lovely wife Jo standing in front of Mt. Vernon all bundled up.
MtVernon1.jpg

MtVernon2.jpg

MtVernon4.jpg

Over looking the Patomic River from George Washington's back yard.
MtVernon5.jpg

MtVernon6.jpg

Thanks for the photos. Mt. Vernon and Williamsburg are on my "to see" list. Did you know that Washington was never wounded in battle in his whole life? Just one of many reasons to think that Providence guided the birth of our nation. When you think of the many differences and arguments the founding fathers had, it gives hope that this board will yet learn to get along.

Mark, were you able to smoke outside there at Mt. Vernon, or is smoking banned at historical sites?

showme

showme1or2":6a66mw7m said:
Mark, were you able to smoke outside there at Mt. Vernon, or is smoking banned at historical sites?

showme
Showme,

I did not see any no smoking signs for the property outside of the buildings. I had a couple of pipes with me with full intention of smoking one while walking in the footsteps of our forefathers, but man it was just too windy! Unfortunately the wind was gusting up pretty bad that day. It was cold too as you can tell by the way my wife was bundled. Still an Awesome visit though.

I did get to smoke in some other places that I know many of those great men were walking. We visited Old Town Alexandria and I was able to smoke. I also got a chance to visit John B. Hayes Tobacconist and my wife was gracious enough to let me go over there two nights in a row to hang out with some VA BOB's to fellowship and smoke. John B. Hayes shop was awesome! I got the impession that it is the Local hangout B&M and they cater mostly to pipe smokers.

After we left DC we stopped in Fredericksburg and I visited another awesome little B&M and I strolled the streets with pipe in hand where many of our forefathers smoked their clay pipes of that time. We have visited Fredericksburg many times. It is one of Jo and I's favorite places.

Thanks for those great photos, Justpipes!

I've lots of fond memories of the place. I recall smoking down by the water many many moons ago. I used to fill potholes on the parkway on the way there. Took a couple of girlfriends there (not at the same time, mind you) over the years. A great place.

TC