Musings and madness regarding Solani 633

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trout Bum

Reaction score
Not a review, just some impressions:

I am a big fan of vapers. Faves: Escudo, Luxury Navy Flake, Scottish Cake(probably my all time favorite), Haddo's (okay, maybe not technically a vaper, but TASTY!) and Fillmore. Oh ya, plus St. James Woods and Marlin Flake!

That said, I have been sitting on this tin of 633 for well over a year now. Been dying to try it, so, a few weeks ago, I popped it open. Initial impression: spicy, one dimensional, kinda flat, underwhelming. Very cigarettish. (spelling?) Stuck it in a jar to let it breathe, left a few flakes in the tin too.

Just loaded up two fairly dry flakes in a huge Joh's danish freehand. I had already tried it in smaller bowls and thought it might do better in a larger bowl...

It is definitely better, but still monochromatic and... underwhelming. Lights easy, no bite, so that is good. It just seems so... flat, I guess. I am disappointed to say the least, as this is a benchmark classic of the genre.

WAIT! Mid bowl here, literally, and things are starting to develop. Initial spice is waning to the background... Smooth, cool, and a little sweetness coming through the bright hay notes. It is not blowing my mind, by any means, but is starting to show some signs of subtlety and nuance.

Very easy smoking! Few to no re-lights. Starting to detect some rounder, earthier notes too.

Hmmm... Okay, the jury is unequivocally hung at the moment.

Wait, now it is starting to take on a more of a "creamy" aspect...

Will report back later!

(nothing like a stream-of-consciousness review to throw everybody off, eh?)

Side note: what are your impressions of this blend, my brothers?

I like it really well and especially it's easy on the tongue way about it and yes it seems to build a head of steam as it grown and the bowl goes. Creamy it is that too. I just like it I guess!

Skip

I didn't think it was bad but there was an off taste to it for some reason. Like a little too much topping was there to throw off what I like most about vapers. Don't know if there is an actual topping, it's just how it came across to me. Sort of like chocolate covered orange peels. Sounds dumb saying it but for some reason that flavor keep popping up in my head while I smoked it. Only smoked one tin though.

I've only ever smoke one tin. It was pretty good but there are better out there.

Well I like it pretty well, but also want to see how it is when it gets some age on it as all I have just popped out of the oven so to speak. Is it the best I have tried, no, but good enough to keep some. So I have about 4 of 100G tins sitting and waiting for time to pass. Will probably open one more of them as I only had a 50G tins to start with so one of the larger ones should last a while since I have enough open to filter through and change from bowl to bowl.

Skip

I like this blend I open a tin and let it air for a few days not to say I leave it open but take the flakes out and let them sit for 15 to 20 min then back into the tin or jar for a few days. I think most blends benifit from air time. I tend to smoke this in a group 4 to small 5 size pipe and let it dry a bit before smoking.