My attempt at an irregular shaped freehand

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinH

Reaction score
This is my first pipe post finger surgery. During buffing I saw some major flaws in terms of proportions, but I love large pipes. I will probably take this back to the sander, but the burl is so full of pit and cracks that I tried something different.

2012-021.jpg
[/url][/img]

2012-022.jpg
[/url][/img]

2012-023.jpg
[/url][/img]

2012-024.jpg
[/url][/img]

Martin, nice work! Glad the finger's not holding you back. So are you going to smoke it?

My only observation: With the angle of the rim in relation to the shank, it might help to bend the stem slightly. That way the mouthpiece is in line with the top of the bowl. FWIW.

Nice work, Martin.

Two things...one is for Mister E's observation--that stem and drilling looks like one of Tinsky's "straight" kits, so I'm not sure if putting a bend is appropriate for this one. I think it looks okay as-is.

The other, for Martin: Be careful with those artful trenches you put in the briar...it looks like it worked somewhat okay for this one, but from my own experimentation with them, the randomness and stiff angle of such marks can break up the otherwise lovely flow of a pipe. Really, a criticism of future forewarn more than anything--going full-bore thinking one is Grinling Gibbons is easy to do and can be great fun, but yields less-than-stellar results. Let the wood speak for itself before you try and help it along.

I hope it smokes well--be proud of it! 8)

Okay FINE maybe a very slight bend... just to balance out with the shank a bit.

Kyle Weiss":dyqqr89z said:
Nice work, Martin.

Two things...one is for Mister E's observation--that stem and drilling looks like one of Tinsky's "straight" kits, so I'm not sure if putting a bend is appropriate for this one. I think it looks okay as-is.

The other, for Martin: Be careful with those artful trenches you put in the briar...it looks like it worked somewhat okay for this one, but from my own experimentation with them, the randomness and stiff angle of such marks can break up the otherwise lovely flow of a pipe. Really, a criticism of future forewarn more than anything--going full-bore thinking one is Grinling Gibbons is easy to do and can be great fun, but yields less-than-stellar results. Let the wood speak for itself before you try and help it along.

I hope it smokes well--be proud of it! 8)
Very observant Kyle. This is a Tinsky straight kit, but I do also think that it will benefit from a "very slight" bend. :)

I had bad luck with the wood and decided to do this design based on how Nording has done some of his. However, I have no real talent, just a love for the process.

I will take the bowl down a little more on the outside, just to make the proportions a little better. I also did something new for me. I buffed it unstainedwith red metal polishing compound, then sanded it a little and finally stained it. The "grain" that you see is mainly the outcome of the process. ;)

See, I'm always willing to screw up a forty dollar piece briar. Lol

No real talent? I call "bullshit!" :lol:

The shape and grain are brilliant, Martin. Don't sell yourself short--then you'd be Martin Short (sorry, I had to say it). Now that I know you secrets with the color and the grain, I'm gonna steal 'em. :twisted: It looks fantastic. I was only chin-scratching over the added "flair." Then again, I try and go for relative simplicity in my pipes. That said, the complex way I simplify them (and the blood I've lost doing so) is kind of a contradiction. :lol!:

I gave a Tinsky kit to GuitarMyFriend because he wanted to attempt to carve a pipe. It also had a not-quite-90° chamber-to-stem angle, and I already knew I had to put a slight bend in it. Fortunately, I prefer slightly bent pipes. 8)