My C & D adventure

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Headmint

Reaction score
I have decided, entirely for the hell of it, to try and smoke every blend C & D produces. I was looking online the other day at a list of all their blends and was truly flabbergasted. They have between 41 million and 43 million different offerings, all of them, I am positive, completely different form each other--heh, heh.

There can only be so many ways you can combine tobaccos, right? C & D has clearly exhausted every single possibility imaginable.

So, I have here before me Haunted Bookshop and Autumn Evening.

The Haunted Bookshop smells like raisin bran but smokes so much better. If any of you, like me, got drunk and smoked a bowl of raisin bran, you know what I'm talking about. I really like it. Mostly burley, but with some interest added by perique and virginia. I will buy this again...and again.

Autumn Evening is breakfast in a can. It actually makes me hungry for pancakes. It smells, obviously, delightful and will give any non-smokers nearby raging erections. The taste is good, too, but it's maple syrup and pancakes, not tobacco. I think it would be better dried out a bit. Maybe some of the virginia will come through. Unsure about repurchase at this point.

2 down, 1,263,558,590,001,928,877,550,029,988,453,112,000,000,001 to go.

Nope never tried smoking Raisin Bran but I will take your word for it...good luck with your new pipe smooking task :cheers:

Good luck! Their Guilford Courthouse has become a regular in the house though 've tried some of their aro's and been kinda unimpressed.

I've got some Autumn Evening, and it had a bit of a bite the first time around, so I shelved it. I'm going to give it another try (with pancakes in mind).

I've found that Shredded Wheat smokes to a gray white ash without any gunk in the bowl, it does not taste like figs or raisins.

So, I'm still in search of the fig and raisin taste that everyone but me, has experienced :( Maybe Raisin Bran for my next TAD / CAD.

C&D Bayou Morning is worth the effort...but be warned...it don't taste like figs, raisins, chocolate, vanilla, new mowed hay, old mowed hay or a ham samich...it does taste a heck of alot like several really good Virginia's with a good shot of Tobasco Sauce (Laissez les bons temps rouler). YMMV...but I doubt it.

Keep us updated on this quest. 8)

Bill

Good luck my friend. I have noticed that C&D is slowly taking over my cellar. I have a tin of Autumn Evening that I got last...Autumn...but found a bit over powering. I am about to break it out again. If age hasn't mellowed it, I was thinking of cutting it with something like Prince Albert or maybe OJK (for a little kick).

Headmint: You are going where no man has ever gone before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unfortunately I think I will be long gone by the time that you finish your quest! Also, unfortunately, C&D will be adding blends at a rate faster than you can try them, so you may be in for a very long haul !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck, buddy !

NeroWolfe":2boqm8du said:
Headmint: You are going where no man has ever gone before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unfortunately I think I will be long gone by the time that you finish your! Also, unfortunately, C&D will be adding blends at a rate faster than you can try them, so you may be in for a very long haul !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck, buddy !
Fixed that for ya :lol:

Headmint":e062vo00 said:
I have decided, entirely for the hell of it, to try and smoke every blend C & D produces.
With whom will you be taking out your home equity loan? :lol:

Autumn Evening is breakfast in a can. It actually makes me hungry for pancakes. It smells, obviously, delightful and will give any non-smokers nearby raging erections. The taste is good, too, but it's maple syrup and pancakes, not tobacco. I think it would be better dried out a bit. Maybe some of the virginia will come through. Unsure about repurchase at this point.
Maple is probably my favorite aromatic flavor. I wanted to like Autumn Evening on the name alone, but I found a couple maple aros that I simply enjoyed better. If you liked AE then give Maple Cavendish from Pipeworks and Wilke a try, or Town Topic from McClelland. If you're interested in a lighter maple aro, and enjoy burley/perique, Essence of Vermont from 4noggins is tasty and very different.

If you love that raisin bran flavor, Exhausted Rooster has it plus a little something else... kinda like that raisin bran that had the raisins covered in sweet ground almond. Whatever it may be, it's tasty (and a sneaky nicotine sledgehammer for my system.)

Maybe this needs to be a group effort. Just to say that it was done.
Let's compile a list of all C&D that the BoB has smoked. The remaining number will be divided by the square root of pi and divide further by all members. this will give each person roughly 27.396223118 tins to purchase and smoke on the next anniversary of the current C&D establishment being opened for business. All incoming new BoB members will be responsible for the new blends that appear before the great C&D smoke date.

Okay, we need someone to type up all the blends.....this ain't gonna work is it?

Let's all send Headmint a C&D sample, in order to give him a hand with this worth while quest.

PM me your address young man.

By the way C&D is my favorite every day smoke and the base of my small cellar. Cellars, now that I think of it, aren't that small...maybe a bookshelf?

The only C&D blends I smoke with regularity are:

Interlude
Opening Night
Manhattan Afternoon

Im not much into aromatics, but have had Autumn Evening and its not too bad. One blend I've been trying to like is Mild & Mellow and 10 tins later......its been nothing but inconsistent flavor from one tin to the next regardless of how new or old the tin is.

A very noble quest indeed. I happen to be lucky enough to have a copy of their catalog (roughly an 8 page booklet. Would have to check at work on exact size) and all I can say is that you might have an easier time finding the holy grail, or possibly the fountain of youth.

That said, I look forward to hearing your take on the many blends they have. I think if you skip the aro's and just stick to straight leaf you may be done around the time the Cubs win a world series :lol!: . That said, I think you'll also have a blast of a time doing it.

Headmint":4qppafeq said:
I have decided, entirely for the hell of it, to try and smoke every blend C & D produces. I was looking online the other day at a list of all their blends and was truly flabbergasted. They have between 41 million and 43 million different offerings, all of them, I am positive, completely different form each other--heh, heh.

There can only be so many ways you can combine tobaccos, right? C & D has clearly exhausted every single possibility imaginable.

The Haunted Bookshop smells like raisin bran but smokes so much better. If any of you, like me, got drunk and smoked a bowl of raisin bran, you know what I'm talking about. I really like it. Mostly burley, but with some interest added by perique and virginia. I will buy this again...and again.

Too bad you're a million miles away from the CORPS show in Richmond, VA, otherwise you would have the perfect opportunity to at least obtain samples from practically every blend. C&D always has a HUGE table at the show and I wouldn't doubt that the majority of their tobacco line is represented, with open tins available to sample. For those who stick around til the end of Sunday afternoon, I also hear they wind up selling the open tins off for a couple bucks. At any rate, if you were somehow able to go to Richmond and took a few hundred sandwich baggies with you, I think you'd be able to at least have a sample of 90 percent of their tobacco lineup.

-Scott

Headmint":eszdqr9k said:

Also wanted to comment on this remark. I have tried Haunted Bookshop and Old Joe Krantz and must say that I like HB MUCH more. While many people claim OJK to be HB on steroids, the difference in taste was night and day IMO. I agree with you on the HB taste profile leaning towards a raisiny flavor, but with a little pepper thrown in for good measure. OJK tastes horribly bitter to me and unless I got a bad batch or something, is one of the least favorite blends that I have had in sometime. Good luck with the quest though. I am certainly looking forward to following your progress.

-Scott

scottbtdmb":ukr3kap6 said:
[ I agree with you on the HB taste profile leaning towards a raisiny flavor, but with a little pepper thrown in for good measure. -Scott
Sounds like Escudo..HB isn't a VaPer is it?

Howdy everyone. Thanks for the well-wishes.

I have two new C&D tins coming my way: Billy Budd and Old Joe Krantz.

I am a little frightened of Billy Budd. It is a latakia-heavy blend. I enjoy latakia, but so far only as a seasoning tobacco--i.e., lightly applied. We'll see how it goes. Anyway, if I do come across something I won't smoke, I will be happy to send it to another brother, either as a trade (ideally) or just to give it away. I hate to see tobacco go to waste.

@Sand18f: a pm will be sent shortly and thank you :)

Regarding the Haunted Bookshop, it has become my regular mid-morning smoke. I seem to enjoy it best early in the day. @Storm_Crow: Nope, it isn't a VaPer....maybe a VaBur :) Mostly burley with some Virgina and perique. It's got a musty, earthy, grainy (Raisin Branny) scent and is what I'd call about middle of the road as far as strength, which is, obviously, subjective. It's certainly not what I'd call a mild or light tobacco. Good stuff. So far my favorite C&D blend...but then, I've only had two. That's all gonna change in the months ahead, though!!

If you don't hear from me, you'll know the Billy Budd has done me in :)