My Cleaning Process

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyS

Reaction score
New guy and pipe smoker here. I just found my first pipe, a Savinelli Chamgpagne 606KS estate. I want to thank everyone here for all the informative posts that makes this site great. :cheers: I'd like to contribute my little process culminated from you guys' past experiences. Maybe I can help out the next newbie a bit to get his pipe up and running as easily as I did.

After taking apart my pipe I soaked the stem in regular household bleach for 24 hours. This sanitizes and cleans the stem. Concurrently, I did the S&A treatment to the bowl. I first tried Absolut, which IIRC is 80proof, and sea salt. After 24 hours the salt did was a light tan. I then emptied & refilled with more salt but this time used 99% iso alcohol. After 24 hours the salt was much more brownish. Gathered from this I think using the stronger alcohol appeared to draw out the resins, etc., more effectively.

Removing the stem from the bleach oxidation became clearly evident. Ridding the stem of any bleach residue is obviously important so I washed it in water a number of times and then let it soak in water for a few hours. I then went to Harbor Freight for buffing materials.

Harbor Freight is a store that sells cheap tools and tooling accessories. I found a nice 4-piece buffing kit. Being a newbie I can't link to it but the item# is 43657. There's a couple of nice things about this kit. It uses 1/4" mandrels so you can easily mount the wheels in a hand drill or drill press if you don't have a buffer. The two compounds included aren't the ones I'd pick but hopefully they'll do the job. Oh, and the kit's only $4! :D

So time to get working. I mounted a buffing wheel into my drill press. Using a heat gun I next heated the brown compound just enough to facilitate an easier application to the wheel. I then buffed the stem, never keeping it stationary for more than 1 second lest we damage the vulcanite. After that I wiped down the stem with a clean microfiber rag. Time to change to the second wheel and load it with the white compound. When that's done once again a microfiber cloth is used to wipe off the compound. Now your stem will be shiny but you won't get it really nice until a good coat of carnauba wax goes on. Using another microfiber towel we applied the wax. I have to admit the results are stellar! BTW, if you don't want to use, or have, carnauba then Chapstick applied with a rag will also gain excellent results. Sorry for the crappy pic. For some reason I couldn' get a really good shot. I guess it's just too shiny! :) My new-to-me Savinelli now looks new to everyone!

Ah, Harbor Freight... my broke-ass salvation. :D Nice job on the resto. And...welcome.

Kyle Weiss":k3014k2j said:
Ah, Harbor Freight... my broke-ass salvation. :D Nice job on the resto. And...welcome.
Yeah Kyle, I've spend too much there too many times too. :) Thanks.

Hey Dave, who's the "Commish" and why doesn't he like the best football team, the Steelers?! :D

Well that's a question for PB - but my guess is the Commish he referred to would be Goodell - and, well, I won't comment on his proclivity for playing favorites.

Dave_In_Philly":foq5h1us said:
Well that's a question for PB - but my guess is the Commish he referred to would be Goodell - and, well, I won't comment on his proclivity for playing favorites.
Ah, I see...some history there I don't know about. As for Goodell, he's just doing his job. Sometimes I don't agree with the fines or decisions but that's life.

1) Goodell and the owners are frantically trying to build a defense for all the lawsuits the nfl is going to get hit with from addled ex-players. That's why he seems to favor flag football style teams. The older teams tend to follow a style of play based on the conv between coach and player -- Coach: "That SOB is beating you on every play! And you know why? He's smarter than you!" Player: "That's okay, coach. He's not going to be so smart after I hit him a few more times."

B) That's a great result for a first-time resto. I've been very reluctant to go the machine buff route on my older briars, because of the advice from Hippocirtes -- First, do no harm, and, let's face it, I'm not especially dexterous. I've also had very good luck with this approach -- from the local store's abrasives shelf, get yourself a fine grit sanding pad, approx 4 x 3 x 1/2. You can use it wet or dry. Gently sand off the oxidation. Then use the teeniest drop of mineral oil to coat the stem. Put it aside for an hour. Then lightly remove any residue (no need to polish) and you'll be good to go. Easy, Fast. Cheap. No machines.

KevinM":t0xqi2m3 said:
That's a great result for a first-time resto. I've been very reluctant to go the machine buff route on my older briars, because of the advice from Hippocirtes -- First, do no harm, and, let's face it, I'm not especially dexterous. I've also had very good luck with this approach -- from the local store's abrasives shelf, get yourself a fine grit sanding pad, approx 4 x 3 x 1/2. You can use it wet or dry. Gently sand off the oxidation. Then use the teeniest drop of mineral oil to coat the stem. Put it aside for an hour. Then lightly remove any residue (no need to polish) and you'll be good to go. Easy, Fast. Cheap. No machines.
Don't know how I missed these replies. Thanks Kevin. You'd be surprised how easy it is..... to screw it all up! :lol: Seriously though, it's not that hard. Start off lightly pressing the stem against the buffing wheel, holding stem securely though, and then start pressing a little harder while slowly moving the stem to let the wheel hit all the surface areas. As I said, you can even do this with a hand drill and the kit from Harbor Freight but you'd want to secure the drill somehow so you can have both hands on the stem. Go get a cheap estate and try it out, man! You might surprise yourself. 8)

Just wanted to chime in with a "Everclear rocks". I was using 99% iso alcohol for doing the S/A treatment but I picked up a 200ml bottle of Everclear for $5. I've now done 3 estates with the Everclear and it definitely draws out better than the iso. It's amazing how much better it does seem to work. So, another Everclear fan here. :cheers: