My Collection of Nordings

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rail Man

Reaction score
I thought I'd share my collection of Nordings

This first one was actually the first "good" briar I ever purchased (the first briar being a Dr. Grabow "Duke"), back in 2005 at a B&M in Moorhead, MN (which has since been turned into a car wash, no kidding, you can now have your car washed where the humidor once stood). Just a simple production Nording but one of the best smoking pipes I own, it especially likes VAs

This was the third pipe I ever bought, at the same car wash B&M, a Nording "C" grade freehand. Also a pretty decent smoker.

This last one turned out to be a real gem. There was a B&M in a strip mall in St. Paul up the road from the hotel I was staying in during job training back in 2011. It catered primarily to cigarette smokers but had a selection of cigars and pipes as well. One of the last days there a group of us stopped in to get a celebratory cigar for making it through our three weeks of training and I spotted this pipe in a glass case. The shape, the stain, the grain, I had to have it! Fast forward to this year doing some research on the markings on pipes in my collection. I always wondered what the "18" stamped on the stem was. I came to find out that's Nording's grading system, I had a grade 18 Nording (I believe, any Nording experts please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)! I know I didn't pay anywhere near what grade 18s are going for online, I can't remember exactly but it had to be in the range of a about $100-$150 or I wouldn't have bought it. I have no idea how this store came to stock a high grade Nording but sometimes it pays to check out these stores that don't normally cater to pipe smokers, you just don't know what you may come across! It's a huge chunk of wood but amazingly light, and a fine smoker.

You got some fine looking pipes there brother thank you for sharing. I have around 15 Nording pipes and I love them all everyone great smokers.

Best Regards,
Richard

Nice looking collection of Nordings you have there. I don't know much about Nording's grading system but that 3rd pipe is a really nice looking piece of briar.

Thanks for the compliments everyone, indeed that third pipe was a stellar find

Those are some really great pipes you've got there. The grain on that last one is spectacular.

Jim

Gotta say those are some very fine looking Nordings Rail Man.

Frankly, most of their current offerings are styles I'd never consider since they seem to be too "out of the box" or whatever you want to call it. Not for me, but perhaps for others.

The pics you displayed are all good solid designs I'd consider though. FWIW.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":u5wixlag said:
Gotta say those are some very fine looking Nordings Rail Man.

Frankly, most of their current offerings are styles I'd never consider since they seem to be too "out of the box" or whatever you want to call it. Not for me, but perhaps for others.

The pics you displayed are all good solid designs I'd consider thought. FWIW.
Cheers,

RR
Exactly my thoughts. I see so many rusticated freehands (online and in my own collection) that I forget that Nording makes ''normal'' pipes, too.

Yeah I didn't realize they did such standard pipes. I may have to see what smokingpipes has lol.

Jim