My cooler weather choices

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D.L.Ruth

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Getting ready for cooler weather got some Autumn Evening and Sutliff Christmas Spice. Just 4 oz of each.
20211006_173015.jpg

Yep, turning cooler; not Fall yet, but cooler! My mornings are trending back to GinnyWeeds, Orientals, and light Latweed blends. I'm also digging thru the cellar's back corners to see what lurks there!!! FTRPLT

Hmmm. Cooler/colder days mean most anything Gawith and good aros. I’m not much one for Sutliff blends and prefer most of the Country Squire line…especially Rivendell. Of course most any John Patton blend is agreeable most any season. Just no Latakia please.

—————————

The question of the day: when it’s cold outside and you’re smoking in that cooler environment, does your pipe burn cooler? Does it make any difference re bite? Does knowing that bite is caused by chemistry (high alkali levels in smoke) as opposed to temperature…does that change your opinion

I’m not much one for Sutliff blends and prefer most of the Country Squire line…especially Rivendell.
I like a couple Sutliff blends well enough. I have never had a bad Country Squire blend and Rivendell is one of my favorites, actually need to order some more.

Definitely have been poking into the full English zone a bit more lately. Stokkebye proper, c&d bow legged bear and a few choice staples in the evening. And autumn evening haha.

Definitely have been poking into the full English zone a bit more lately. Stokkebye proper, c&d bow legged bear and a few choice staples in the evening. And autumn evening haha.
got a couple tins of Bow Legged Bear a bit more than 2 5 years old, should probably pop one open soon.

I find it to be a fine smoke in the chilly evenings, definitely good and strong. And it is better with a few years on the can.

I LOVE most everything Samuel Gawith. Yesterday I discovered a large jar with 2 different baggies from 2007 of Bracken Flake that was sent to me as part of a large box of esoterica tobaccos by an overwhelmingly generous brother here after I simply enquired about Stonehaven. Anyway, I've been reading about this flake, it seems somewhat daunting and somewhat inviting.

Anybody here have any experience with this "no longer available" flake?

I LOVE most everything Samuel Gawith. Yesterday I discovered a large jar with 2 different baggies from 2007 of Bracken Flake that was sent to me as part of a large box of esoterica tobaccos by an overwhelmingly generous brother here after I simply enquired about Stonehaven. Anyway, I've been reading about this flake, it seems somewhat daunting and somewhat inviting.

Anybody here have any experience with this "no longer available" flake?

Stonehaven? Terrible stuff. I’ll send you an address to send it to for proper disposal.
My experience with it is limited. I’ve bought three bags, two for brothers as gifts, and one for myself. It’s delicious but requires some drying before smoking. I wish I could tell you what method worked the best for me and the pipes I use, but I cannot remember. I do remember drying it was critical.

When wood smoke is on the air, I like to reach for the limited amount of latakia I own. Two days ago it was Lancer’s Slices from 2012 and it was quite delicious. I turn my nose up on lat most seasons, bit not as cool weather hits.