My current Three Favorite SAK’s.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
It’s kinda weird but collectors know these details: the design and manufacturing histories, how one line’s blade dimensions are different from another, yadda, yadda, yadda. How Wenger was at some point bought up by Victorinox and what that did to the various Wenger knives and individual tools (like the big difference between how the different scissors were built, etc.).

Be all that as it may, I have a number of both sides of the coin and some real favorites, etc. Here are my current 3 favorites:

The Swiss Army Ranger Grip 71 - called the Gardiner. Great saw and massive shears...

D2704EAD-0832-4945-92BA-7CCE2F9B8155.jpeg

The Alox Farmer X. Overbuilt tough with the heavy main blade, saw & scissors.

669ACC49-8236-4E79-9D38-8ED86A5F9C60.jpeg

The Victorinox Delemont EvoWood 17. Notice the design of the scissors which was brought over from Wenger & is very robust.

45EF0EA7-2234-4F9B-85E8-2BCD43061079.jpeg

So...here’s the plus one. This one sits on the table where all my “must have” stuff sits. I use it all the time.
It’s officially the Victorinox Evolution Grip 18 - Yellow.

137B23FE-27D9-4568-B906-FE0663E82CE1.jpeg

Last edited:
Note the following:
1. I’ve often been known to carry a heavier slightly more bulky folding knife on a pocket clip.
2. I frequently carry a much longer and equally bulky fixed blade knife in my pocket...sitting horizontal in the bottom of the pocket. Example below: ESEE Izula. Length 6 3/4”.

D4CE9AA2-A029-4BDF-BD08-2814C72E0765.jpeg
3. It might be a function of the kind of pants one wears. Years ago I bought a pair of tactical pants that had large pockets all around. I LOVED the design and thats all I currently wear...Khaki...lots of pockets.
4. If bulky is what you like and are used to then it’s not an issue.
5. I would prefer to choose my clothes to fit the gear I want to carry than choose my gear according to a certain fashion. Besides, where do I go that it would be inappropriate? Currently I’m here sitting out the C19 virus.

As you might guess I could likely go on and on with this kind of stuff. It comes from supporting and defending gear choices and purchases over my 40 treasured years with SWMBO.

So the short story is...no, I don’t find them too bulky. If I wore rock star jeans it would be a different story.

Your photo is of the “Tinker”. If you add the scissors it becomes the “Super Tinker” but that one also has a hook kind of thing on the bottom side. The specific size of your knife also makes a difference. 84mm...91mm...93mm??? After a while ya get kinda dizzy.

There are SO many models out there currently it’s hard to nail ‘em down as there are lots of vendor specific models too. Check out the three below offered on Amazon. All are considered to be a “Tinker”. Hmmm.

15A2176B-721C-4165-BAA2-07437E7A661B.jpeg

Thanks for the info. Mine is like the first one without the 'gut hook?'
Since it's better'n 40 years old, not surprised there've been 'improvements.'

Nice. Yeah...the gut hook. Guys have been trying to figure out what the heck that silly thing is for a while. Personally I think some Victorinox exec’s kid came up with it, so I call it an Edsil. Whatever.

Carry this everywhere it's legal. Actually, mine has the scissors, probably a discontinued model.View attachment 988

That looks zackly like what I carried daily at the brewery for going on 30 years. Came in damn handy too everyday. It saw some hard times -

Broke off the tip of the shorter blade doing something stupid but I ground it down a little and while it didn't look so pretty good anymore it got the job done.

One red side broke off near the top so I super glued it back on but it never looked the same. Always had a little chunk of SS exposed underneath.

I also twisted the Phillips head shank and it never lay flat in the case again, but I thought I'd break it for sure if I tried twisting it too far back.

I never replaced it since it was a gift from one of my brewers early on in my career and he told me this would become a daily tool for me, and so it became. When I retired I passed it on to my Asst Brewer who replaced me and I told him the same tale. He probably threw it away or put it in a drawer!

Cheers,

RR

Carry this everywhere it's legal. Actually, mine has the scissors, probably a discontinued model.View attachment 988
I've been carrying the Victorinox Tinker model for at least 35 years. Mine is so old it wasn't made with the little key ring on it. There was another model that had a cork screw instead of the phillips screw driver blade. It may have also been known as a Tinker. I don't remember. The one I have has been so useful.