My Father Le Bijou 1922

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff Daddy

Reaction score
My first summer cigar. It's a good 90 degrees out here on the patio already, the shade helps a little but I'm already sweating. Something just said Today is a good day for a cigar. Went to the treasure chest, a nice 250 count humidor I've had for years, to see what I have. I don't smoke a lot of cigars anymore. Still have a good 40 or so Gurkhas I bought several years ago, a few Punch Gran Cru, Cabaiguan Guapos, some nice miscellaneous sticks here and there. On one shelf lie the two sticks I was gifted in the bombing run this spring, a Fuente and a My Father. Decided on the My Father as I've never tried one and they're spoken of pretty highly.

Nice construction, great silky dark wrapper, good open draw. First light and the next few draws were a little rough, might have been me not used to cigars, might have been the cigar. I was a little worried, but it quickly settled down and became an outstanding rich, dark, leathery smoke with some chocolate and cedar notes.

This cigar does what a lot of strong cigars fail at, producing a powerful smoke that isn't overpowering, isn't over peppered or unbalanced. While it's a deep and bold smoke, it's also quite smooth and complex. Rich, earthy, aromatic - I'm very impressed!

Might be the best Pepin I've smoked thus far.

I have to admit to not being able to finish the cigar. It was pretty potent. I got about 2/3 way through it and hit nicotine overload and had to put it down. The first 15-20 minutes was about aromatic smoke and subtle flavors coming through under a pretty stout but smooth Nicaraguan tobacco. Then it moved to a more monotone flavor profile that was still quite good, but much of the intricate flavors faded. Even then it was a very tasty smoke. But it was just too strong to continue.

The cigar was a large one, probably a Toro. I imagine a corona would be more doable. Large cigars always seemed like overkill to me. Most of the better cigars I've enjoyed have been smaller ring guages. Coronas and Lanceros. I'll have to see if they make this one in a smaller size.

The My Father Le Bijou reminded of an Illusione Holy Lance (one of my all time favs) on steroids, it's high octane big brother. A great smoke, but whew!!  :shock: :drunken: 

Nice right up and what you are saying on the strength seems true about these cigars. Just getting back into cigars after layoff once I got into pipe smoking. A good friend of mine loves Don Pepin cigars, seems in the Le Bijou the petit robusto seems to be one of the more popular vitola. My friend did gift me some different sizes of the Le Bijou line and a toro is in there. I'm intrigued to try it after your right up.

You should definitely try it, but on a full stomache. I had mine a couple of hours after breakfast, which was fine, and with a cup of black coffee which worked very well with the cigar.

The cigar, while strong in flavor, was never overpowering in flavor, even when I had to stop. It was the nicotine that made me stop, pretty high octane stick. I could have gone on, but I started to get that feeling that told me I'd better not (been there, done that). If you're more tolerant of a nicotine punch you probably won't have any trouble finishing it.

I certainly will try it. Starting with Jose down to his son Jaime they make some good looking cigars.

I love that cigar. They make a Petite Robusto that's <5" long and just a perfect cigar. i think they even released a corona sized version, but I never came across one.