My Final Balkan English Blend

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I expected to hear from Payless Cigars and Pipes informing me that they were out of latakia and would be cancelling my order. Today, they sent a tracking number for the filled order.
I really wonder why latakia is becoming unavailable for DIY blenders. Will we be seeing U.S. processed dark fired smyrna to replace latakia?

Last edited:
I am beyond satisfied how this blend came together. The components arrived either late last night or early this morning. The box of tobacco was sitting at my front door about 9:00 this morning. I mixed everything together immediately, and did incorporate tobacco from both maduro and desflorado wrapped cigars. Usually, I'd wait at least a month or more for the blend to marry before making any judgment, but the aroma of the 6 oz. of orientals was too enticing. I've smoked a couple of bowls and have really enjoyed the blend. I kept 8 oz. in a container to smoke now and the remaining two pounds are compacted tightly in two snap lid containers for aging.
I've had a running joke about several blends being the "final" one, but I think this could be close to the finish line. It really does seem like it's going to be very difficult to access blending tobacco for DIY blenders who prefer not to experiment with whole leaf tobacco. Although some of the tobacco arrived quite damp, I had no problem keeping the pipe lit. There is absolutely no tongue bite and the nicotine content is very low.

Last edited:
I expected to hear from Payless Cigars and Pipes informing me that they were out of latakia and would be cancelling my order. Today, they sent a tracking number for the filled order.
Just looked outside and it's here.

If you go to Pipesandcigars.com, search for Peter Stokkebye 310 Black Latakia, you directed to this page.

Last edited:
I couldn't stop myself from tweaking the blend. I didn't intend on doing it until I discovered Sutliff Blending Red Virginia toasted cavendish. I replaced the Sutliff Matured Red Virginia 515 RC-1 with Sutliff Red Virginia toasted cavendish.
Toasted Blending Red Virginia Cavendish

I should add, six hours after I began this post, that I've ordered the tobacco and haven't assembled the blend, as yet. I may chicken out and leave well enough alone and use Sutliff Matured Red Virginia 515 RC-1.

Last edited:

9/26/2021​

After reading about various BoBs choices of cherry aromatics, I thought I might try creating an English blend with a touch of cherry. If the blend is terrible, I will shave my nether parts, but keep it a secret. I'm debating with myself how much nicotiana rustica to add of the 4 oz. I purchased, and whether to add Cuban cigar leaf. I also reduced the percentage of latakia to 35%, but added 5% dark fired Kentucky.​

Cart ItemsItem #In StockPriceQtyTotal

Blending - Perique
3 oz 7.5%
BGO-TB-1000IN STOCK$4.46$13.38

Sutliff Stoved Black Virginia 507-S
5oz 12.5%
AE2-TB-1000IN STOCK$2.11$10.55

Sutliff Matured Red Virginia 515 RC-1
5 oz 12.5%
AE1-TB-1000IN STOCK$2.11$10.55

Sutliff Cherry Cavendish
5 oz 12.5%
ABG-TB-1000IN STOCK$2.11$10.55

Blending - Latakia
14 oz 35%
BGM-TB-1000IN STOCK$3.52$49.28

Blending - Izmir Ribbon
2 oz 5%
BGK-TB-1000IN STOCK$2.44$4.88

Blending - Turkish Ribbon Cut
2 oz 5%
BG6-TB-1000IN STOCK$2.44$4.88

Blending - Smyrna
2 oz 5%
BGU-TB-1000IN STOCK$2.68$5.36

Blending - Dark Fired Kentucky Burley
2 oz 5%
BGH-TB-1000IN STOCK$2.68$5.36

Last edited:

9/26/2021​

After reading about various BoBs choices of cherry aromatics, I thought might try creating an English blend with a touch of cherry. If the blend is terrible, I will shave my nether parts, but keep it a secret. I'm debating with myself how much nicotiana rustica to add of the 4 oz. I purchased, and whether to add Cuban cigar leaf.​

Cart ItemsItem #In StockPriceQtyTotal

Blending - Perique
3 oz
BGO-TB-1000IN STOCK$4.46$13.38

Sutliff Stoved Black Virginia 507-S
5oz
AE2-TB-1000IN STOCK$2.11$10.55

Sutliff Matured Red Virginia 515 RC-1
5 oz
AE1-TB-1000IN STOCK$2.11$10.55

Sutliff Cherry Cavendish
5 oz
ABG-TB-1000IN STOCK$2.11$10.55

Blending - Latakia
14 oz
BGM-TB-1000IN STOCK$3.52$49.28

Blending - Izmir Ribbon
2 oz
BGK-TB-1000IN STOCK$2.44$4.88

Blending - Turkish Ribbon Cut
2 oz
BG6-TB-1000IN STOCK$2.44$4.88

Blending - Smyrna
2 oz
BGU-TB-1000IN STOCK$2.68$5.36

Blending - Dark Fired Kentucky Burley
2 oz
BGH-TB-1000IN STOCK$2.68$5.36
If be interested in giving it a try

I'll be interested in giving it a try
I'll PM you after it's mixed and rested a bit to marry. Be advised, however, if it is terrible, you also will be required to shave your nether parts.

Got an email this morning, the tobacco should arrive UPS/USPS Surepost on Monday. Sometimes, however, UPS skips dropping it at USPS and I get it early. It will get NO nicotiana rustica. The batch I recently received from Leaf Only is far too laden with nicotine. I added some to a blend I've been smoking for weeks and it knocked me down and out. I will add the filler leaf from a couple of Cuban toros.

Duh! I just realized this is a 2.5 lb., $115.00 experiment. What the hell was I thinking? $2.875 oz. But, maybe it'll be great and the cherry will disguise the latakia aroma. I'll be able to smoke in winter in the bathroom with the fan on.
giphy.gif

Tobacco arrived yesterday, some very dry, some extremely wet. It's all mixed and packed tightly in one large jar. No question, it does need to marry. The Sutliff cherry cavendish was drenched in a cherry top dressing. Hopefully, once mixed and rested, that will dissipate. I was curious and filled the bowl of a cob. How much would the cherry influence a blend where in the past I'd used unflavored Green River cavendish. And would I notice the replacement of 2 oz. latakia with 2 oz. Kentucky Dark fired? My only first impression was that the tobacco was far too wet to successfully smoke. I could slightly detect the cherry, but at only 12.5% of the blend, I did not expect it to be anywhere near dominant. Today, I have about an ounce laid out on a cookie sheet to dry. Hopefully, later today it will be dry enough to smoke.