My First Chromebook Has Officially Expired

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
My first Chromebook was an Acer. I bought it in early 2012 primarily out of curiosity. Besides my PCs, I also had a netbook running the Linux OS Fuduntu. The Acer Chromebook was slow and I didn't use it for much of anything. Once in awhile I'd play with it. I was able to use it to stream music from Pandora and Spotify. Today, I dragged it out of its case. The battery was dead, but the chromebook came to life plugged in. I tried to charge the external battery, but it would not take a charge and the battery got very hot. I waited for it to cool down, unplugged it, and tried to remove the battery. Ordinarity, it would just slip in and out. Nope, not gonna happen. The extreme heat appears to have welded the contacts.
It's "end of life" for updates ended in 2018 and it couldn't use Android apps. There was no way I was going to try to locate and buy a new battery for it when I couldn't remove the old one. Like me, it was out of date.
I gave it a "Powerwash" removing all data, then took a screw driver and pried out the battery. Minus the battery, it's in the laundry room soaking in a bucket of water. Tomorrow, I'll drop all parts and battery off at the county recycling dump.
It's the second Chrome device with which I've parted company. I bought an early Samsung i5 Chromebox, used, on Ebay for about $50.00. It was lightening fast until one day it just stopped working. It made no sense to try and repair it.

Later today, I made the mistake of reading this article:
DOORBUSTER: GRAB THIS RUGGED LENOVO CHROME OS TABLET FOR ONLY $119

giphy.gif

Damn Lenovo site also had a veteran's discount.
Regular price $334.00
eCoupon Savings:- $215.00
Military ID.me Savings- $8.33
Shipping FREE
Sales Tax $8.72
Total $119.39
At 64% off, resistance was futile.

Last edited:
I have never used or owned a chrome book. iPads and windows HP laptops is all I have and they’re all old.

My 2007 white MacBook is still working. I did beef up the RAM and swapped the old plate spinner for a SSD. Of course it is no longer supported, so I put some vanilla Linux build on it. My first.