My first foray with Carter Hall

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarlockBob

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
So, as some of you know, I got bombed this past month. Hard, I might add.

After digging through the rubble that was my apartment and getting things straightened out, I suddenly found myself at the foot of a conundrum - what do I smoke? I have so much stuff, that I'm not entirely sure where to begin!

So, I started with what I had in the most abundance and what I knew the least about: Carter Hall.

I had received a 14oz. tub of the stuff in my packages, and other than knowing that it's an OTC, I didn't know much else about it.
Being a young pipe smoker in a privileged world of an infinite amount of blends at my fingertips, whether in person or on the internet, I can definitely say that I am a bit of a tobacco snob.
It's hard NOT to be, with so many boutique tobaccos and such a wide array of blends at hand...

But, that's beside the point. I'm here to talk about Carter Hall!

As a fan of burley, I was already interested in this blend, after reading some about it. Once I popped the lid off the tub, I was greeted with the warm, nutty aroma of burleys, with a slight afternote of virginia. It's quite reminiscent of toasted pecans or almonds, and it smells delicious. It's a fine ribbon cut, quite springy, and at just the right moisture content to burn quite well. I got a bowl packed, got my char lights going, and then the Hall Train was a'rollin'!

The initial taste is that of the smell in the tub; nutty, slightly sweet, quite light. The flavor doesn't change or progress into anything else, except for becoming a little more concentrated near the end of the bowl, but aside from that it's a nice, light blend. The room note is quite nice, and the burley burns soft and smooth. You're not getting really any progression of flavors, but the important thing about this blend is you know exactly what you're getting out of it, and it certainly doesn't disappoint at all. Even better, after smoking 4 or 5 bowls of it throughout my day, I had no tongue burn nor rawness that night or the next day.

In the end, don't underestimate your good, time-tested OTC blends. You may have given up on them, but they'll certainly surprise you when you least expect it.  :pirat: :pirat: 

I haven't smoked CH, but I did get a pouch of Captain Black White. I found that it is a good aro, that is pleasing to most around me. As I live in a high humidity area, I have to let it dry a bit before packing it, or it just ends up tasting like horse crap at the bottom of the pipe. You are right, sometimes OTC blends can surprise you. I know the Captain Black did.

I typically get a bad case of tongue bite from most OTC burleys. CH is probably the most forgiving of all the OTC's that I have smoked. It also makes a really affordable blending tobacco. I like to use it for adding a little natural flavor kick or a bit more body to lighter blends or boring cavendish mixtures.

When my pain is bad and it has been a bad day, I don't want or need any unpleasant surprises so I load up a bowl of Carter Hall.
Faithful to the bottom of the bowl. I've read that it has a slight plum topping. I don't know, or care, about that but it works for me.
When I hit the store after my check gets deposited I'm getting more CH for sure.
Last night I couldn't sleep, had no CH on hand so I lit up a bowl of GH Dark Plug. Lordy! Excellent.

WarlockBob":vwljdbjf said:
After digging through the rubble that was my apartment and getting things straightened out, I suddenly found myself at the foot of a conundrum  
Gees! it must have been a mess but, I never leave those things just laying around.

As far as CH goes, burley and me don't get along, specially OTC's.

I always keep a couple of unopened tubs of CH in reserve. I like the old codger OTCs quite a bit, and find them to be very mild with a great bowl aroma. Some of the newer ones (newer to me) like Captain Black require cutting with PA or similar, to my taste.

But everyone is different. For instance, I literally cannot get SWR to even burn, much less taste good. What the hell is that all about? (Yes, I've dried it and all that.)

Richard Burley":xazxyr5i said:
For instance, I literally cannot get SWR to even burn, much less taste good.  What the hell is that all about?  (Yes, I've dried it and all that.)  
Agreed. SWR tastes absolutely horrible to me.  Hot and nasty. :evil: 

DrumsAndBeer":ztuwz5yz said:
Richard Burley":ztuwz5yz said:
For instance, I literally cannot get SWR to even burn, much less taste good.  What the hell is that all about?  (Yes, I've dried it and all that.)  
Agreed. SWR tastes absolutely horrible to me.  Hot and nasty. :evil: 
I've never tried it, so I wouldn't be able to chime in on this...

Talking about being spoiled on good tobacco, the only OTC (other than CH now) that I've had has been some Borkum Riff I got in a goody bag at GKCPC last year........

I had no idea what to expect.  :oops: 

CH is a very nice tobacco. It's heads and shoulders above any other OTC that I've ever tried, and the only one in my regular rotation.

It doesn't bite me like sugar barrel or the BR offerings I've tried. It's not goopy like some of those over saturated or overly sweet OTCs...it's just pleasant, mildly sweet and nutty goodness.

I have a cob dedicated to CH which makes the blend taste all the richer. Good stuff.

Storm_Crow":phyxxyus said:
CH is a very nice tobacco. It's heads and shoulders above any other OTC that I've ever tried, and the only one in my regular rotation.
+1.

CH is predictable and consistent. It's unexciting in a good way. For me, it's the most serviceable of the OTCs.

I agree SWR (well the newer stuff) is pretty consistently bad. The stuff I have is all more than 40 years old and is a right treat! CH and I are agreeing to disagree at the moment. All I get when I light CH up is bitter. I will come back in maybe another 6months and try again.

Really glad you're liking it though Bob it's good stuff for sure!

Jim

I have a fair amount of PA at the moment, but deep in the cellar is some Carter Hall. I like them both as a change of pace, but I have to agree, Carter Hall in a cob is something special

idbowman":ypj1rk6v said:
Storm_Crow":ypj1rk6v said:
+1.

CH is predictable and consistent.  It's unexciting in a good way.  For me, it's the most serviceable of the OTCs.
I totally agree. I really enjoy Carter Hall in a cob. I am tempted to try Walnut one of these days and see if that might be as surprising as CH was to me.

Buckshot":kdohajnz said:
idbowman":kdohajnz said:
Storm_Crow":kdohajnz said:
+1.

CH is predictable and consistent.  It's unexciting in a good way.  For me, it's the most serviceable of the OTCs.
I totally agree.  I really enjoy Carter Hall in a cob.  I am tempted to try Walnut one of these days and see if that might be as surprising as CH was to me.
When I returned to smoking Burley approx. three years ago, I started on Solani ABF. Then my curiosity got the best of me (as it often does!!);I just had to try PA and CH again!!! Dang if I didn't enjoy them both! I do slightly favor CH for all the good reasons stated above. I would also venture that you will like Walnut, as I do. One of our seldom-heard-from anymore BoBs, the brother known as Just Pipes, was a fervent Walnut smoker. He finally got me to try some (again after 45+ years) and dang again if I didn't really like it!!!!! Nothing ventured, nothing gained!!! :cheers: FTRPLT

ftrplt":q0z6n210 said:
Buckshot":q0z6n210 said:
idbowman":q0z6n210 said:
Storm_Crow":q0z6n210 said:
+1.

I totally agree.  I really enjoy Carter Hall in a cob.  I am tempted to try Walnut one of these days and see if that might be as surprising as CH was to me.
When I returned to smoking Burley approx. three years ago, I started on Solani ABF. Then my curiosity got the best of me (as it often does!!);I just had to try PA and CH again!!! Dang if I didn't enjoy them both! I do slightly favor CH for all the good reasons stated above. I would also venture that you will like Walnut, as I do. One of our seldom-heard-from anymore BoBs, the brother known as Just Pipes, was a fervent Walnut smoker. He finally got me to try some (again after 45+ years) and dang again if I didn't really like it!!!!! Nothing ventured, nothing gained!!! :cheers: FTRPLT
by the way, although not currently on offer (or it wasn't this morning anyway) 4 Noggins sometimes does sell Walnut by the ounce

Carter Hall is a comforting, dependable, and effortless smoke. Good in a briar, very good in a cob.

DrT999":vfx9nars said:
ftrplt":vfx9nars said:
Buckshot":vfx9nars said:
idbowman":vfx9nars said:
Storm_Crow":vfx9nars said:
+1.

by the way, although not currently on offer (or it wasn't this morning anyway) 4 Noggins sometimes does sell Walnut by the ounce
I just saw on 4noggins that walnut has been discontinued. I waited too long. Won't get to try it now.

fsu92john":kxhd8c3g said:
Carter Hall is a comforting, dependable, and effortless smoke. Good in a briar, very good in a cob.
That's exactly what I've found to be the case. I'm a huge fan already, and I've only gotten into it on this past Saturday. :)

I have a couple ounces of walnut for those who would like to try it (for those who have never tried it). I will be more than happy to send some your way if you pm me your address.