My generic, "Hello, I'm the new guy" post...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josh

Reaction score
Hello! I'm the new guy...

My name is Josh. I've been an ocassional cigar smoker for a few years. I've always been intrigued by both pipes and smoking them. I think I'm ready to begin my journey into pipe smoking. I've read many websites. I've seen lots of "how to's" and such. To everyone out there providing so much useful information - Thank you! I am excited to start my search for the right pipe. I know it will take time, research and of course some money.

One of my other hobbies is drying fruit. I enjoy dried fruit and am consistently experimenting with new ideas and drying many pounds of old favorites. My first question concerning dried fruit is this : Is there ever dried fruit blended with tobacco? There must be. Is that how they get the aromas that they get? I am very excited to do some blending and experimenting with dried fruit...

I will be around. I'm sure I will have many questions soon enough.

Glad to be here! Thanks!

Josh

A warm welcome Josh.

Perhaps one of the blenders can answer your question about dried fruit.

:D Paul

If I'm not totally off my rocker I believe they sometimes smoke fruits in a hookah.

Welcome to the BoB! You will find a lot of good information here and I am sure that an expert will weigh in on your first question.

Wow! Thanks for all the warm welcome everyone. I really appreciate that. Let's me know it's a friendly group of people I've come across. I think I'll direct my "dried fruit" question to a more appropriate area of the forums for answers. Thanks again!

Welcome Josh :D
Hookah tobacco can indeed include dried fruit and molasses.
Not that hookah pipes are included in this forum but I would be interested if you could blend some burly, dried fruit, and molasses and make your own hookah tobak.
Now that I think about it, im gonna have to try to figure a way to try pipe tobak in my hookah. :idea:

Well. I figure if I take some basic tobacco and just experiment with adding small pieces of very dried fruit, It should be nice. I have to imagine that the fruit will burn similar to tobacco and smell pleasant. It's worth trying. Might be kinda spendy though...

Welcome to the board Josh. Not sure about the fruit in tobacco thing. I mostly eat my fruit and smoke the tobacco.

jeepernick":i4bi9o1x said:
Welcome to the board Josh. Not sure about the fruit in tobacco thing. I mostly eat my fruit and smoke the tobacco.
:lol: I know I know...

Welcome to the forum

I tried the fruit bit years ago
I couldnt get it to burn right it may have worked if it had been shredded
I tried it with strawberrys got terrible tongue bite

it would have to be dry and probably shredded for it to burn good

I've been looking through the assortment of pipes out there...
Although I can tell that a wooden higher quality pipe would be
the way to go, I think I'm going to try a glass one. Now I do
realize that this is sorta weed smokerish of me, but I've never
done illegal drugs of any kind, and I never plan to. I just think
that the glass pipes are neat. I want a unique, one of a kind
glass pipe to smoke tobacco in. I think it would be a great
topic of conversation, and definately arrouse comments from
all my friends that know I would never do drugs. I don't just
plan to smoke in my den all the time. I want to take it with me
and smoke it whenever and wherever I feel like. So, the
thought also crossed my mind that at some point it may be
improperly assumed to be a weed pipe. I would have an
absolute ball if someone tried to stop me with it on the street,
like a police officer or something. I bought a cheap pouch of
captian black from the fuel station a block from my house.
I'm going to get a pipe, and I'm gonna smoke it.....
In time I'm sure I'll learn more, and perhapps get a different
pipe or better tobacco. For the time being, I'm planning on
going out and finding a cool $30-40 glass pipe.... :D

Welcome!! Try this place for all your supplies. I have nothing to do with this place but I do buy from them. Their shipping is a bit pricey but good and dependable 98% of the time. Look at the tobacco very carefully so you can learn about it
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/ Good luck!!!

Ok. I bought a pipe today. I was roaming around the "tobacco" shops. I looked at glass, but it doesn't really seem like what I want or need. So I asked about other pipes. Of course there are no cool or valuable wooden pipes like what you fine people smoke, but I found something that will suit my needs I think atleast to start with. I bought a bag of Captain Black for $5 and my pipe for $12. I'm guessing the Captain Black will last atleast a few weeks. I'm already looking into other tobacco too. Anyways. I'm excited, and have already enjoyed a few bowls. :D

DSCN9949-210x147.jpg

josh":touwxhtp said:
Ok. I bought a pipe today. I was roaming around the "tobacco" shops. I looked at glass, but it doesn't really seem like what I want or need. So I asked about other pipes. Of course there are no cool or valuable wooden pipes like what you fine people smoke, but I found something that will suit my needs I think atleast to start with. I bought a bag of Captain Black for $5 and my pipe for $12. I'm guessing the Captain Black will last atleast a few weeks. I'm already looking into other tobacco too. Anyways. I'm excited, and have already enjoyed a few bowls. :D

DSCN9949-210x147.jpg
There must only be head shops where you are Josh. Are you in a university town?

I would try the internet as regor suggested. If you are on a limited budget or don't want to invest too heavily in the beginning, this is a great website for the common man, so to speak. They have a great selection of affordable new briar pipes as well as a large assortment of "OTC" tobaccos that will be good to start out with. http://www.wvsmokeshop.com
There shipping is very reasonable also.

Welcome Josh! I'm sorry that I can't be of more help anwering your question.Hopelly our resident tobacco blender GLP will be able to assist........

Best,
D.J.

Justpipes":3s2o8po0 said:
There must only be head shops where you are Josh. Are you in a university town?

I would try the internet as regor suggested. If you are on a limited budget or don't want to invest too heavily in the beginning, this is a great website for the common man, so to speak. They have a great selection of affordable new briar pipes as well as a large assortment of "OTC" tobaccos that will be good to start out with. http://www.wvsmokeshop.com
There shipping is very reasonable also.
University town? :lol!: I wouldn't be caught dead in a university town... The universities can take their curriculums, their student body, their yuppy bars, happy hours, coffee shops, tasseled hats and professors of teaching instead of experiencing the real world when I can easily read a book and obtain knowledge...

I'm sure there's someplace more suited in the Twin Cities. I understand exactly the place I walked into, and that it was a "pipe smoking" shop instead of a "pipe smoking" shop... I know there's briar pipes out there, and I'm sure I will purchase one before too long. I just thought it would be fun to have one of these kid's toys and try out. It's probably a total piece of s**t that I bought, but I have nothing to compare it to. I've had fun in the last 48 hours anyways. You should have seen the look on my Nephew's face followed by the ear to ear grin when I showed him the pipe I bought! Then I showed him the pouch of Captain Black and he scowled.....

Anyways. I've learned a few things. I can certainly see the difference in tamping the tobacco too tightly or too loosely. I also experienced what I think was tounge bite. At one point, I think I was getting it too hot and actually couldn't hold it. So I set it down for a few minutes and tried to puff slower. Honestly, I'm already having a blast! I'm excited to get a better pipe to take to the cabin this summer and into the woods in the fall. I don't know what my girlfriend is going to think of all this, but she's a moderate cigarette smoker, so atleast I can share that time with her now. The way I see it, a pipe has got a lot more character then a cigarette, but I don't expect her to suck on one any time soon...

One other thing I thought of : I grew up burning wood in the Winter. The furnace was seldom used. We had an old, heavy, 1890's cast iron stove. I don't mean 1890's style,,, I mean 1890's!!!! I think the insurance company even told my Dad to take it out of the house one time, but we never did. The house never burnt down,,, but we always tried! Anyways. I was thinking it would be really neat to have some sort of pipe that was designed to look like an old wood stove. I'm sure there's probably something like that out there. Metal or even wood. Perhapps a nicely carved one. Our old wood stove has been retired to the shack up at deer camp now. My idea is to keep a woodstove style pipe up at camp. We'll see... That darn budget still needs a pipe savings account...