My Grandfather

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Nate

Reaction score
During the night my grandfather passed away. He was 88 years old. The father to four boys, six grandchildren, and five great grandchildren, and husband for 63 years till my grandma passed away four years ago. I can't help but feel somewhat guilty as I haven't spent as much time with him as I would have liked over the years. I was starting my own family and working on my house and just letting life get in the way of some of the more important things... I hope he knows I loved him just the same.

What I will always remember is my pap at baseball games, him coming over to my childhood home to help my dad work on the house, he and my grandma going out dancing every Saturday and Sunday, playing wiffle-ball for hours in his backyard, he and my grandma teaching me how to play cards esp all the Rummy games and how he'd never let me win (made me earn it!), complaining about and cheering for our Steelers, playing ping pong on his pool table in the basement (with a mopstick for a net and detergent bottles for paddles) and I'll never forget the letters they wrote to me when I was in the Air Force. I will miss my grandparents so much, and am just blessed I was his grandson and hope that I can be the same example to my kids that he was to my dad and uncles and me as well!

-and above all else, his stories, my pap always had a story to tell, and you were going to hear it whether it was the first time you heard it or the hundredth!

I love you, pap!

I will light a candle for him tonight, and a pipe for him now, and for you. Sounds like he was a great influence on you, and you will carry on his legacy in your acts and through your children...

Blessings........

My condolences on your loss Nate. As the older generation passes, it is easy to feel like you should have spent more time with them, but life has a way of happening. I feel pretty certain he knew you loved him.

So sorry for your loss, Nate.

It's great that you carry fond memories of them with you. They sound like they were pretty great people.

Best,

Loren

Very Sorry..Their memory will always be with you.

So sorry to hear my friend!

I lost my grandfather about 8 years ago and my grandmother last December.  We were able to make my grandfathers funeral but circumstances prevented us from attending my grandmothers.  They had been very involved in my upbringing.

My wife, kids and I live about a 24 hr drive away and could not make it down for the funeral in large part because we were about a week away from finalizing an adoption and having to come up with several thousand dollars for that.

I too was racked by guilt and second guessing about how much time I had spent (or not spent) talking to her over the years since we moved away, and especially for not being able to attend the funeral.

I believe she would have understood and that they knew I loved them, good grandparents always do, but it was still hard.

Peace be with you buddy

Hey Nate, that's sad to hear.

It's clear how strongly you feel for him and what memories you have. I would say you were privileged to have been so close to such a man. Sad as his passing is, remember to celebrate the special times that you got to share.

Next smoke with thoughts for you all.

Thank you, everyone for the kind words. It was cathartic to write that little blurb about him and I'm already thinking about all the great times we had together through the years! God Bless!

Well, Not really Old Nate, its good to let that stuff out. If for no other reason than to purge some of the emotional baggage of possible regrets. I may be presumptuous, but I believe a great many of us are honoured and rather touched that you felt comfortable enough to allow us to be your sounding board....

Now, you can call yourself Slightly Older Nate, as you have moved on your family tree.