My impressions of my two new pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monbla256

Reaction score
Well, it’s been almost a month since I got two “new” pipes to add to my smoking arsenal!! Several of you have asked me what I thought of these two pipes so after giving both some time with the ‘baccy I like to “break-in” a pipe with, McC’s FM200, ( ya can’t beat a straight Red Va for building cake !)  

First up will be my “new” Edward’s I got from Brother Matia @ Viking Pipes. It’s a #54 Squat Rhodesian, 5 grade and has maybe 2/3 tiny fills and looks to be from early 80’s production as this shape disappeared from the shape chart / catalogs I have from the late 80’s early 90’s. It had been smoked with a small char ring around the bowl rim but all edges were crisp and smooth. There were a few dings on the bowl but basically it is a lightly smoked new pipe !!
  OK, get to the REAL news, “…how does it smoke?” you say !! LIKE AN EDWARD”S !! Wonderful oil cured Algerian Briar, and it has the added benefit  of having been smoked some before so no real new pipe break-in necessary AND NO ghosting of any previous ‘baccy that was smoked in it!!! As with my other 16 Edward’s pipes it is a SMOKERS pipe, equal to, if not BETTER than ANY of my Charatan or Dunhills or ANY other pipes I have !! I bought my first Edward’s back in ’73 and when I find one that suits me and is within my pocketbook, I’ll ALWAYS try and get it !! It’s DEFINITELY a KEEPER !!

Now to the NEW pipe I was gifted by Brother Shane, my Briar Spirit 1/8th bent Pot made by Brother Kirk Fitzgerald over in England! This is one AMAZING pipe, first the grain, absolutely FABULOUS straight/flame grain ALL AROUND the bowl AS WELL as up and over the sides of the shank !! To be able to look at a rough cut ebuchon and find and bring out this sort of grain in a pipe is the first sign one has the work of a MASTER in ones hands !!! The finish, size (about a Dunhill grp5) and bowl size/wall thickness ratio is PERFECT !!  The stem work is a PERFECT piece of Acrylic work with one of the MOST comfortable WIDE fishtail bits I’ve EVER put between my Acrylic teeth!! The most AMAZING thing about all this is the manner of production Bro Kirk uses, except for the drilling of bowl/airway, it’s ALL done by HAND TOOLS and the skill in his HANDS !! A true ARTISON pipe in all sense of that word !!
  And now as to its true purpose, smoking !!  I loaded up its first full bowl ( I smoke full bowls to break-in my pipes), of FM-2000, put a match to it, and had what for me, was one of the most pleasant smokes from a new pipe since I did this with my Growley!! Once again, I’ve found a maker who truly can make a pipe that one merely has to breath to enjoy !! No puffing or sipping, just breath and it almost smokes itself !! The bowl sides did warm up. And still do , warm up as it was smoked, but nothing one would not expect from a pipe with no cake to help dissipate the heat of the burning ‘baccy in the bowl. The more I’ve smoked it, the less it does this and I would imagine after a year of steady smoking it would be far less pronounced as would be expected with a well smoked pipe !! I’m not sure which of the three types of briar he used in this pipe, ( he uses Calibrian, Italian and Greek) but for me it’s SPOT ON !! I’ve had nothing but smooth, tasty, enjoyable smokes from this pipe and expect to continue to do so!! To sum it up, if you don’t yet own one of his MASTERPIECES yet, get in line and order one NOW!! You will be the satisfied owner of one of the FINEST pipes made EVER !!
 I hope this satisfies folks as to what I think !!

Nice reviews Michael. And now that you've had a chance to experience the magic Kirk puts into his pipes you can understand why
other folks who have one are so impressed. I'll bet this takes pride of place in your rotation!

8) 

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":joly2wlt said:
Nice reviews Michael. And now that you've had a chance to experience the magic Kirk puts into his pipes you can understand why
other folks who have one are so impressed. I'll bet this takes pride of place in your rotation!

8) 

Cheers,

RR
I would have to agree with Brewdude.  The magic is there...every time you fire it up.  Pure bliss.

Very nice write up Michael and I'm glad you enjoy the pipe sir, it found a deserving home.