My Kirsten

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kyle I'd try plugging the draft hole with a bit of wax then do the S/A treatment. When you're done just heat it up and wipe away the wax.

Jim

Good idea huffelpuff. I was going to suggest cotton and alcohol.

I like mine (Thanks Harry). It is a 1/4 bent stamped H. It is a nose warmer. I have put MC Epitome, a Virginia flake, rubbed out in it with mixed results. That mixture does not like me. I tried H of C Seven of nine, a Virginia ribbon cut, today with much better results. It was consumed to the bottom with 2 relights. Smoked itself mostly. I did pack it very firmly and gave a hard pack tamp at mid bowl.

My only complaint is the small bowl size that the standard Kirsten uses. A custom extra large bowl may look strange on the nose warmer but I like a longer smoke.

:bounce: 

loneredtree":yy0ix3wk said:
I have cleaned mine and am set to try it out tomorrow.

PD
I do not think that they reply to E mails. You need to call them.

Below is a breakdown of the letter designation for Kirsten pipes.

OnSUUK9.jpg
Thanks loneredtree great info.

Do you have any info about the height of the various bowl sizes?

Regards, Mike

No Mike I do not have any info. You might ask those of us who have Kirsten pipe to measure them. I have what looks like one Mandrain and one Dynasty. They are similar. I guess that they are the standard size.

The chambers on them are to small. Can you make larger ones? I would like to have one made or find out who will do that.

Marshall

By too small do you mean too shallow, or too narrow? My Kirsten bowl has a bowl that is at least an inch in diameter, but is probably only an inch and a quarter deep and tapers sharply (V shaped). It seems huge but it's not going to hold a lot of tobacco because it's not deep at all.

I'm guessing my bowl is going to be the exception here but it's drilled with straight walls and is 7/8x7/8. Hope this is of some help.

Jim

Puff Daddy":03dsrs7i said:
By too small do you mean too shallow, or too narrow? My Kirsten bowl has a bowl that is at least an inch in diameter, but is probably only an inch and a quarter deep and tapers sharply (V shaped). It seems huge but it's not going to hold a lot of tobacco because it's not deep at all.
This describes mine as well. When I called Kirsten, it was to figure out just what they called this size. I was going to buy a bowl or two from them. They said they had no clue what I had from my measurements because so many different things were done over the years.

By to small, I mean that it does not hold enough tobacco. I have not timed the smoke but I would guess 30 min smoke. A normal group 3 or 4 lasts me 1 to 2 hours.

Mines has a tapering chamber with straight sides. .89 in deep top diameter .89 in bottom diameter  .5 in

loneredtree":yj1exbcj said:
No Mike I do not have any info. You might ask those of us who have Kirsten pipe to measure them. I have what looks like one Mandrain and one Dynasty. They are similar.  I guess that they are the standard size.

The chambers on them are to small. Can you make larger ones? I would like to have one made or find out who will do that.

Marshall
Thanks Marshall.

I have about a dozen bowls completed and will try to get pics of them over the weekend.

Regards,
Mike Brissett

FR: I have made the screw for one that I rebuild/rehabilitated. You can do that if you need to. I do not have a lave ( sp) to make the bottom washer type of hardware but it could be done. My rebuilt bowl does no have the bottom hardware so it is not a necessity.

It is a special head on the screw. I do not remember the name right now. I drilled it with a drill press. If you need info I will get it.

:sunny: 

Fr_Tom,

I do not have the hardware for these bowls, but they will accept the standard factory screw and base plate.

If you are interested in making your own screw, the type you want is a Fillister head machine screw.
with a 10/32 thread. The head diameter is 3/8". An overall length of .425" seems to work well for most
bowl/radiator combinations. I would be cautious not to overtighten a steel screw in an aluminum base
plate or radiator

Kirsten claims to have made three different length screws but were unable to tell me what length they were and which bowl/radiator combinations they fit. It seems all 3rd generation Kirstens used the .425 " screws.

If anyone can supply me with information regarding lengths other than .425" I would greatly appreciate it.

Regards,
Mike Brissett

Got mine figured out. I had a flashback epiphany. Remembered a thread from a long time ago where we were talking about the pot shape and how, though it was popular as a pipe for smoking English blends in, a lot of guys actually preferred the pot for virginia flakes. My Kirsten bowl is similar to a pot, sort of, in that it is quite wide and not terribly deep. Granted, it is a V shape at the bottom, but that shouldn't be a problem with a ginnyweed flake. Stuffed a nice pluggy wad of SG Medium Virginia flake into the Kirsten and it smokes really nicely. Really. Not just OK, but really well. great flavor coming through, no bite. The draw is a little slower than ideal but not a problem, just requires a more patient, relaxed cadence.

I have some new replacement bowls for sale in the Town Crier.

Regards,
Mike brissett

I love my Kirsten, it's a kick-ass little pipe. The draw is a bit restricted but there's nothing I can do about it, so I've made peace with that. It taught me to puff softly, the way a pipe should be smoked.

I've filled it with Borkum Riff Admiral's Flake this morning for my first smoke of the day. And what a smoke!!  I had to sit down after the first couple of draws because my head was spinning.  It really delivers vitamin N in a big way.

I'm a happy chappie :cheers: :bounce: :cheers:

Puff Daddy":c1hv37wi said:
My Kirsten bowl is similar to a pot, sort of, in that it is quite wide and not terribly deep. Granted, it is a V shape at the bottom, but that shouldn't be a problem with a ginnyweed flake. Stuffed a nice pluggy wad of SG Medium Virginia flake into the Kirsten and it smokes really nicely. Really. Not just OK, but really well. great flavor coming through, no bite. The draw is a little slower than ideal but not a problem, just requires a more patient, relaxed cadence.
My bro', you've said it all. I can't add anything, exactly the way I feel about my little one :lol: 

The somewhat restricted draw of my Kirsten sent me to my toolbox today. I've VERY CAREFULLY opened up the airways by doing some drilling

I've enlarge the hole through the screw that attaches the bowl to the "body" of the pipe. I've also removed the "stinger" and drilled through it from the stem side. The "stinger" can be taken out quite easily by gripping it with pliers and rotating the stem.

But, please be warned; If you should try doing this, be very careful. If anything goes wrong, your pipe will be F.U.B.A.R

The difference, though small, does make the draw easier.

I LOVE MY KIRSTEN :cheers: :bounce: :cheers: