My latest eBay find.....NOS...Kool-Puf Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonecoyote

Reaction score
On the bottom of the bowl it says...Pat. Pend. Real Briar Kool-Puf. The pipe is NOS and in mint condition after a carnauba waxing on the buffing wheels. The shank is an extremely light weight metal. Take notice on how this pipe comes completely apart for proper cleaning.
I won this pipe on eBay for $10.50 delivered. I figured I had nothing to lose. Can not find much info. On the Internet, anybody here know anything about the Kool-Puf pipes? Looks like it's from the '30's or '40's. ERA???
Here are a few pictures....
WW0Aawx.jpg" style="width: 700px;height: 400px

cvlye6h.jpg" style="width: 700px;height: 400px

WfexbVk.jpg" style="width: 700px;height: 400px

fGvbjuK.jpg" style="width: 700px;height: 400px

PkFF2a4.jpg" style="width: 700px;height: 400px

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Interesting pipe, never heard about it

I would really like to know how it delivers, once you've smoked it a couple of times.

Speedypete
Once I smoke the pipe I will definitely let you know how well I enjoyed it. Just want too see if I can find some info before I light this pipe up. If it's a rare pipe being NEVER smoked and a pipe Museum was interested, I would donate the pipe so other pipers could also enjoy seeing it.

But in reality, many have looked at this thread but not many responders. I ponder....what's going on with The BoB????

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Ted, this is the first I've heard of that brand so I'm no help. But then there are a great many brands that I've never heard of!

In any case I'll look forward to your experience with it.

Cheers,

RR

Rande
Thanks much!! I can not find much info so I'm hoping someone on " heir " has seen or heard of this pipe. Extremely light weight and the brush in theory should give it a cooler smoke in general.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Nice find!
This is what I could find with just a simple search, an ad from a 1939 and 40 Popular Science magazine.

KOOL-PUFF. The new air conditioned pipe. Literature. Lockco, 1476, Washington. D.C.

If it's never been smoked I'd keep that way IMHO. ;)

Thanks Ron
That's basically all I found also as far as info. Yup, never been smoked and after the buffing looks MINT. IM WITH YOU, right now I have more pipes than I could ever smoke, so for now until I find out more about the pipe it will stay unsmoked. The principle behind the design is amazing and all the pieces fit together tight.
I think I'll make a wood stand and keep it mounted as a show piece. Only thing....the day I drop dead, the next day it would be sold...lmao!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":frfaj7x7 said:
Speedypete

But in reality, many have looked at this thread but not many responders. I ponder....what's going on with The BoB????
KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
It seems as if there is only 30% of the activity there was last year, what did I miss? Major shakeup? :confused:

Can't seem to find much of anything regarding this pipe... other than two ads in pop-sci from May/April 1939 already mentioned. Are you supposed to smoke it with the brush in place?

Adam":o928z22w said:
Are you supposed to smoke it with the brush in place?
Yes, not only is the brush a filter that can be washed for a clean smoke, it also keeps the smoke cooler. Therefore the Kool-Puf system. Most likely will not smoke this pipe until I find out some history behind the manufacturer. I've contacted a few old timers that have the knowledge when it comes to old/rare pipes.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Certainly a worthy addition to a collection or museum, but so unappealing aesthetically that I can see why it's no longer around, even if it "worked," which I doubt. Pipe smoking for me is part aesthetic experience. Falcons, for instance, barely make the cut, and then only because they work so well.

There were a lot of bizarre pipes around from that era, as any reader of old Popular Mechanics magazine can attest. The ads were loaded with them. Reminds me of this clown pipe, currently offered by Shiny Pipes on ebay. The Brial tissue paper pipe. Wonder if you could slide a roll of toilet paper in there?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950s-BRIAL-Aluminum-TISSUE-PAPER-FILTER-Estate-System-Pipe-h55-/263109185531?hash=item3d42878ffb:g:Vi4AAOSwq~tZO3HW

RB
Yup, I've seen the pipe you posted prior. Also you can roll toilet paper in those type of metal pipes with a wide diameter metal tube. Smokes like a reverse Calabash pipe. Very similar to the theory of my Kirsten, which I do enjoy smoking. As for me, if the pipe is a great smoker it's a keeper but MUST be in excellent condition at all times.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!