My little buddy

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the story Arky? That looks like a purposeful knife that's been around the block once or twice...

ww2 original paratrooper knife issued to some paratrooper in ww2 I know it was in combat

Arky, nice knife from WWII. I have my Dads knife ( bayonet) when he served in WWII in the Marines. The knife holds an edge well but since my Dads passing I keep it in a draw near my everyday tobacco's.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

That's a really nice item.

I love good steel and gave collected a number of items over the years.

Get ready for this one...a brother here gifted me with a Randal dagger that his brother carried in Viet Nam. I'm sworn to silence re the name of the person as he was Air America. The original sheath was badly tattered so I had a professional that does leather pieces matching the original patterns do a new sheath for it.

The knife is like the one pictured below.

a41ecb82b8ac265608d4f4e75534795c.jpg" style="width: 450px;height: 350px

When the day comes that I can post pictures, I will post my Dads bayonet from WWII. Also a number of knives I've made over the years. I use to make custom fixed blade knives, only one of a kind, never duplicated. I've made a few using Damascus billets 1095/15n20 steel, 1095 is a high carbon steel that can hold an edge for a long time, the only drawback is you must keep the blade oiled, high carbon steel can rust very easily.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Indeed Blackhorse, I need to read how to post an image within this forum. I use Imgur on my iPad, works great. :cheers: :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!

Dredged up a pic of one of MY knives posted in the DIY section some time ago.

Damascus from the Ozarks...stabilized scales from Oregon. I've put together quite a few pretty nice blades over the years. My favorite are Nordic style knives with Finnish steel blades.

Blackhorse, very nicely done, I like the mosaic pin you chose. Did you make your own bolsters? I use to, out of a high carbon stainless steel or brass. Your knife is Different looking, the design is practical. Bet it holds a good edge. The last knife I made I did a fancy thorn filing completely around the tang of the knife. How did you post the picture? I know all about the URL needed but what tab on here do I use. Boy, do I have pictures of knives and pipes :bounce: :bounce:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Arky - not sure who you're talking to re the KaBar. But if it was me, I don't make KaBar knives. I do have some I would sell, both mine and other custom pieces, but they are expensive by my way of figuring. We're talking in the $150 - $200 range (BoB discounts have been applied). But none are tactical in design.

LC - top of the text box you should have a bunch of buttons. One looks like an old square tv set. It's two to the left of the You Tube button. Buttons nay not show til you're past the 30/30 line in the sand. That should get you started.

Here's a few links on past threads where I showed off other of my humble work...

Hand carved horse head Ironwood...

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t26928-blackhorse-nordic-horse-head-knife#362713

Others:

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t27762-blackhorse-nordic-ironwood-burl?highlight=Nordic

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t26386-new-blackhorse-nordic-knife?highlight=Nordic

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t21094-new-nordic-damascus-knife?highlight=Nordic

And here's a long one that goes through a LOT of detail with design and fabrication photos, etc.

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t17844-help-me-design-2-nordic-knives?highlight=Nordic

That should do for a while.

Blackhorse, appreciate your help!!! I sent Arky a PM explaining Kbar is a brand and an assembly line knife, well not custom made. My knives sell for BIG bucks, before I got ill I had a booth at the annual knife show in Vegas. I make my own leather and Kydex sheaths. Last month I made a Kydex sheath with leather padding on the inside so I don't scratch my 1911. The sheath I carry/conceal cross draw.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Blackhorse, just looked at the knives you made, stunning and well crafted. You spend allot of time on your handle scales, it shows. The one you carved a horse head for the pommel is outrageous.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

arkansaspiper":c7lz1z7z said:
ww2 original paratrooper knife issued to some paratrooper in ww2 I know it was in combat
Whoa, that's impressive but cripes mate, don't leave me hanging. What's its provenance?

Blackhorse":xw1j3sqe said:
That's a really nice item.

I love good steel and gave collected a number of items over the years.

Get ready for this one...a brother here gifted me with a Randal dagger that his brother carried in Viet Nam. I'm sworn to silence re the name of the person as he was Air America. The original sheath was badly tattered so I had a professional that does leather pieces matching the original patterns do a new sheath for it.

The knife is like the one pictured below.

a41ecb82b8ac265608d4f4e75534795c.jpg" style="width: 450px;height: 350px
Crikey BH, that's one heck of a gift and a real treasure. Full credit to th the giver!

Yeah, it's a sweetheart. If it had documentation (provenance) that it had been carried in Viet Nam it would have significant value. As it is, that's not going to happen. But aside from monetary value it has great sentimental value to me, in terms of friendships. And I'm holding it to pass on to my son as a memento that represents my own service in Viet Nam with the 11th US Cavalry.

I get it I wanted a original ww2 ORIGINAL STYLE I See Them FOR 50 BUCKS But The steal seems cheap