My new Peterson cake and baccy.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewPipe

Reaction score
I must stress first up "this is my first pipe". I have ordered another as the waiting to use it again after having to rest it means I am only using it once a day. Did use it twice a day for a couple of days but with long 10 hr rests on those days I used it twice. Advice?

As I've said in other posts yep got the new Aran in the mail last week and have been breaking it in. Have followed the how to on the Peterson site and had some great word of wisdom from more experienced BoB members. Thank you all.

First few bowls did the just 1/4 full which help me get in to the rhythm of smoking a pipe being of the make it last as long as you can camp. I am now on to the 1/2 bowl and am building up a nice cake so far.

I was watching YouTuber the other night and found someone saying they'd thought they'd wrecked their first pipe (a Peterson) by smoking it all the way to the bottom and so damaging the intake hole. Oh hell I thought I've been smoking all the way down have I done the same.

So I quickly consulted the Peterson site and the say make sure when breaking in you pipe DO finish the pipe all the way to the bottom to get that cake build up at the bottom as this is important in the early stage so that you will have a "good smoker". I must admit I did have a little bit of a panic after seeing the YouTube thinking I'd done the wrong thing. After inspecting the intake and the cake I'm well pleased.

At the moment I'm using the Erin flake as it has a nice N content and isn't a bad baccy with a tiny little dryer Amphora to get it lit, doing the false then true lite thing. They have a Erin Mixture at my local tobacconist should I give that a go?

I have very limited choices when it comes to pipe tobacco because of my local and so the usual corner shop baccy is all I can get, Dr Pats, Erinmore Flake or Mixtures look to be my best bets at the moment. I would love to try some of the better baccy but will have to wait until I go next to the big smoke (Brisbane) which should be some time in April. Anyone recommend Macbaren Plumcake or a stronger Aro, the Amphora Original was a little light for me and doesn't really have an Aro taste.

Does anyone do the cue tip and Whiskey or Rum thing on the inside of the bowl?
I've heard about this but not tried it yet.

Thanks again to all and any advice.

Cheers. (hope I've posted in the correct section this time).

NewPipe":shriypdq said:
I must stress first up "this is my first pipe". I have ordered another as the waiting to use it again after having to rest it means I am only using it once a day. Did use it twice a day for a couple of days but with long 10 hr rests on those days I used it twice. Advice?
I was watching YouTuber the other night and found someone saying they'd thought they'd wrecked their first pipe (a Peterson) by smoking it all the way to the bottom and so damaging the intake hole. Oh hell I thought I've been smoking all the way down have I done the same.
Youtube is full of interesting "information"...
Your Peterson is probably a pretty tough pipe. You're not going to ruin it by smoking it.

Sounds like you are going at it in a nice SLOW methodical way which in the long run will help you yeild positive results in your enjoyment of pipe smoking. I've smoked ALL of my pipes to the bottom for over 40 years now and haven't "ruined" one yet and all of mine were bought new and broken in by me. As for Aromatics there are many good ones available Internationaly these days over the 'net so I'd read some reviews on the 'net and see what you can aquire. Stay with it, slow and easy and you get all the enjoyment pipe smoking can bring :p

monbla256":67tklp2x said:
I've smoked ALL of my pipes to the bottom for over 40 years now and haven't "ruined" one yet and all of mine were bought new and broken in by me.
Same here, only 19-years and no problems. Even my MM Cobs get smoked 'to the bottom' with no problems. That Peterson is a tough pipe that will last longer than you or I will.

Especially if the Aliens come back to take us away and end the world on 12/21/12. :D

I'm sure there are online companies that would ship to you, probably some in Australia already. The local smoke shops around here suck! I have to drive 80-miles to go to a REAL B&M Tobacco Shop. But - they have a hell of a selection of pipes and tobaccos, as well as Cigars. The only catch is that I have to take my wife to Hobby Lobby while we're in that town. :x

Rob_In_MO":tcd0n5p3 said:
monbla256":tcd0n5p3 said:
I've smoked ALL of my pipes to the bottom for over 40 years now and haven't "ruined" one yet and all of mine were bought new and broken in by me.
Same here, only 19-years and no problems. Even my MM Cobs get smoked 'to the bottom' with no problems. That Peterson is a tough pipe that will last longer than you or I will.

Especially if the Aliens come back to take us away and end the world on 12/21/12. :D

I'm sure there are online companies that would ship to you, probably some in Australia already. The local smoke shops around here suck! I have to drive 80-miles to go to a REAL B&M Tobacco Shop. But - they have a hell of a selection of pipes and tobaccos, as well as Cigars. The only catch is that I have to take my wife to Hobby Lobby while we're in that town. :x
I have made that compromise more than once myself

Then I will try a full one tonight. I've had 10 or so smokes in this new pipe a few 1/4 pipes and 1/2 pipes the last 3 days so might be time for a full pipe.

I take the point about "information" from YouTube it was a one off post. Been watching Dubinadam and PipeFriend YouTube they seem to be well liked and have had some good baccy and pipe reviews all helpful to a novice.

I have been smoking all the way to the bottom and have little if any baccy left when finished getting a good cake going. Does it matter when you empty out your dottle? Should you wait and let your pipe cool down or just tip it when you're finished? I've been waiting until it cools before dumping the dotttle as I had this idea that it might help with the cake.

I'm so enjoying my pipe especially my night time pipe. I get my iPod on with some good Arthur Conan Doyle or Edgar Allen Poe or HP Lovecraft story and more times than not go out on the veranda sit in my favorite comfy chair and look at the stars. Still warm here in Oz having a late Summer, it's Autumn and still balmy. Great way to end the day.

At the moment I'm enjoying the Erin flake plus the smoke lasts a bit longer than the Amphora/Dr Pats mix I used. Enjoying the falk and looking forward to trying some of the import baccy.

Yes I have to make a bit of a trip to Brisbane it's about 200 miles south of here but I'll have a bigger and better choice. Got my brother (lives in Bris) searching out some good baccy shops. All good things and so on :)

I know this is non pipe related but just been watching some pretty scary footage of twisters in Texas.

I hope all the BoB in that area are ok.

I am like Monbla,

I have been smoking a pipe for 15 years and have no problems. Just take it slow and enjoy.

You might care to go to something like every other day with it, at least. When they don't get a chance to dry all the way out between outings, the accumulated moisture plus pipe gunk can sour & mildew.

Not that there's anything wrong with several times in one day with a good rest afterward so much as that even once a day as a long term proposition can impair the flavor and enjoyment you'll be getting from it.

FWIW

:face:

Been smoking the Peterson for a while now and it's working like a champ.
Totally enjoying my baccy.
Been smoking a nice Davidoff Royalty but am almost finished the tin. Time to try a different mix me thinks. I like the little bit of Latakia, might try something with a bit more of that in it.

Cheers guys thanks for the feedback.