• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Brothers of Briar and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

My Penzance for your Old Gowrie

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BriarBeagle

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy Folks,

Just thought I'd put this out there and see if there was anyone interested. I've got a 250 g. sealed bag of Penzance (not sure about the age, but its been in my cellar for at least a year). I'm looking to trade for 3 x 100g tins of Old Gowrie. I've got plenty of fresh OG, but looking for tins with at least 3-5 years of age on them that I can smoke right away. Its a daily smoke for me so I go through tins pretty quickly. Anyway, if anyone is interested please shoot me a DM.

Thanks,

Beagle

I love Penzance and am now smoking my last bag. Is the Rattray Old Gowrie no longer available?

SteveMKentucky":z2ptdtw1 said:
I love Penzance and am now smoking my last bag.  Is the Rattray Old Gowrie no longer available?
OG is available, and I have several tins. I just prefer it with some age on it so I was hoping to pick up a few aged tins to hold me over while the stuff in the cellar matures a bit more. OG is probably my favorite blend so it pains me not to have some aged stuff to smoke. ;)

BriarBeagle":954b8bxk said:
SteveMKentucky":954b8bxk said:
I love Penzance and am now smoking my last bag.  Is the Rattray Old Gowrie no longer available?
OG is available, and I have several tins. I just prefer it with some age on it so I was hoping to pick up a few aged tins to hold me over while the stuff in the cellar matures a bit more. OG is probably my favorite blend so it pains me not to have some aged stuff to smoke. ;)
Roger that!

The classic Rattray blend trio is Old Gowrie, Hal O’ the Wynd & Marlin Flake. Some folks add Brown Clunee in there for a foursome.

So, ye lovers of Old Gowrie, is your love also bestowed on HOW and MF as well as OG? Just curious.

Blackhorse":k7v9lbri said:
The classic Rattray blend trio is Old Gowrie, Hal O’ the Wynd & Marlin Flake.  Some folks add Brown Clunee in there for a foursome.

So, ye lovers of Old Gowrie, is your love also bestowed on HOW and MF as well as OG? Just curious.
I personally take OG and Hal O to be siblings and love them both (with my preference being just slightly toward Old Gowrie). Brown Clunee is a cousin but for some reason I have experienced tongue bite from several experiences with it so I generally stay away. Marlin Flakes flavor profile seems completely unrelated and I am just not a fan. That's my personal take.

Hmmm. Whaddaya know. I always thought Marlin Flake and HOW were the two most closely related...but I haven’t smoked either in a while and might be mis-remembering.

Blackhorse":bw2r706a said:
Hmmm.  Whaddaya know.  I always thought Marlin Flake and HOW were the two most closely related...but I haven’t smoked either in a while and might be mis-remembering.
Just my opinion, of course, and based on the way I experience these tobaccos. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts/opinions if you decide to revisit them in the near future.

I need to revisit Rattray's blends. For some reason, over my 54 years of pipe smoking, I've just never "gotten into them!" Tried several, Accountant's Mixture and Highland Targe come immediately to mind; but there were others. My considerable cellar holds none...very unusual!! :cheers: FTRPLT

I do like Marlin Flake, but fresh it's sort of tart. A couple of years mellow it though.
OG tastes like a softer Brown Clunee. Both are nice though, fresh or aged.
HoW is almost too soft to my taste buds. Sometimes I'll toss some perique in it to give it oomph.