My Peterson GURGLES... HELP!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckydogguy

Reaction score
I have a Peterson Killarney 80s that tends to gurgles about half way through the bowl. :( Is this because of the pipe or myself or the tabacco? I only smoke virginia blends in it. Can the problem be fixed if it is the pipe?

Thanks ,
Lucky

Whenever it gets like that, tilt the bit end down for a minute. The moisture in the stem will drain down to the tip. Once it does, blot it with a kleenex, and you're good to go again.

:face:

Yes, Peterson. Thank you. Told you I'm new! LOL :oops:

I will give it a shot. But, why does it happen?

Lucky

Yak will disagree with me but a lot of it is the design of the pipe airway. It doesn't allow a smooth flow of smoke from the bowl to the bit and this can cause condensation. It also is caused by smoking to fast or the weed being to moist.

No real disagreement over the airway either minimising or promoting condensation, Pee Bee.

Maybe we could all agree that the more curved the airway (or, the more curves in the airway), the more condensation there will tend to be in it. I.e., if a billiard smokes wet, something's wrong with it that can be fixed. An Oom Paul, on the other hand, has condensation built into it by design.

The fancy name for it is centripetal force. The higher the speed and the sharper the curve, the more of it there is condensing the little mini-droplets of water vapor in suspension into moisture in the airway. It's the same deal whether it's a smoke stream in a pipe, gasoline going into your car through a hose or whatever else you can think of. Curves and changes in diameter create turbulence, which produces condensation.

One spot where this happens in an 80S that can be improved, simply and cheaply, is the end of the tenon. Countersinking this can make the transition into the stem less abrupt. (Just about any pipe with headspace between the face of the tenon and the shoulder of the mortise can condense here. Strangely though, not all do, or do to an extent that's bothersome). (Back to pipes being female again).

:face:

If there is no place for the water vapor to condense, then does a person run a higher risk of tongue bite? I just thinking if the vapor is in the smoke then it goes to your mouth. Why do pipes have the space between the face of the tennon and the shoulder of the motise?

How can I close that space on my pipe? Do I need a new stem?

Thanks,
Lucky

luckydogguy":uwto03o8 said:
Why do pipes have the space between the face of the tennon and the shoulder of the motise?

How can I close that space on my pipe? Do I need a new stem?

Thanks,
Lucky
They don't all have that space between them, just depends on who's making them and how they're made. Artisan pipe makers pay a good bit more attention to these kinds of things than the "big box" carving houses generally do; that's not a knock on the larger companies, just "one of those things".

How new is this Peterson of yours? The one I own was a mother to get smoking. Took a loooong time for it to get just right but all of a sudden, there it was. I had almost written it off. You may have a similar experience with this guy.

Funny you should say that, because I almost threw the pipe out. It's pretty new and I only smoked about 6 bowls in it so far. But, he good snews is that I did enjoy the last smoke that I had in it. I only had to relight it 2 times and once that Gurgle sound came I just put a pipe cleaner down the stem. It cleared it up but I really want to know how to stop it from happening, if I can and if it won't give me tongue bite.

What Peterson do you have and what do you smoke in it?

Thanks,
Lucky

Not quite sure which of the Peterson line mine is, to be honest. I bought it before I really knew a whole lot about pipes. It was just "expensive" and looked oh-so pretty and I had to have it :) It's a flame-grain, bent apple shape. I'll have to look at it when I get home and see if I can't find more nomenclature to help identify it.

You're definitely going to want to hang in there with that pipe a little longer. It took *many* bowls for mine to finally get the hang of what it was supposed to be doing. It still gurgles from time to time if I'm not careful with it. Part of that, I believe, has much to do with the sump they drill into the mortise. I could be all wet on that(no pun intended) but that's where all the gook ends up when I get to heavy-puffing the thing.

I haven't smoked anything but VAs in this particular pipe.

luckydogguy":xxgoas92 said:
Funny you should say that, because I almost threw the pipe out. It's pretty new and I only smoked about 6 bowls in it so far. But, he good snews is that I did enjoy the last smoke that I had in it. I only had to relight it 2 times and once that Gurgle sound came I just put a pipe cleaner down the stem. It cleared it up but I really want to know how to stop it from happening, if I can and if it won't give me tongue bite.

What Peterson do you have and what do you smoke in it?

Thanks,
Lucky
Don't go throwin' out no 80s Peterson's! :lol:

I have the exact model in ebony and it took quite a bit to break it in.

If I wasn't aware going in that pipes were female, I'd think this was bizarre.

Smoke numero uno in a Peterson 80S, bought new back in 1975, is still the benchmark for transcendental pipe experiences here.

:affraid:

Yak":cncwvy2z said:

Smoke numero uno in a Peterson 80S, bought new back in 1975, is still the benchmark for transcendental pipe experiences here.

I was a year old :lol:

hazmat":pi21m6tz said:
Yak":pi21m6tz said:

I was a year old :lol:

I was even BORN yet! LOL! Maybe I'll give the old Killarney another shot. 8)

I just got done smoking this pipe again.

Well.... whatr a difference all your input has made! Thank you guys! :D

It was my first bowl that I smoked that was completely dry at the end of the smoke! I used a pipe cleaner a few times to keep the gurgles down, took my time and let the smoke stay cool, relit about 4 times, and FINALLY slowed down and enoyed the entire bowl! :cheers:

By the way it was a bowl of Barbary Coast! Fantastic flavor!

I can't wait for my next smoke!

Thanks again,
Lucky

Barbary Coast in an 80s sounds like a perfect smoke to me. :lol:

That's a tough one for many to keep lit as well but it's so worth it when you get into the grove with it.

I was smoking Barbary Coast in a Savinelli bent Dublin on Saturday evening. Wonderful stuff... anyway, my upstairs neighbor came down and knocked on my door, asked "WHAT are you smoking???". I was prepared to be apologetic until she followed with "It smells SOOOO GOOD!!!". Gotta love that. :cheers:

I have the day off today and plan on smoking another bowl of the Barbary Coast in my Kilnarney. Hope it goes as well as last time! :face:

My wife also likes the way the room smells when I light that stuff up. Of coarse I enjoy it too.

Lucky