My S.Yanik Meerschaum with new Stem

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThEpIpEsMoKiNgDrUmMeR

Reaction score
Hey guys :) Just had to post a pic of my beautiful S.Yanik OWl pipe with my new stem i ordered direct from Mr yanik himself, Never seen any other meerschaum carver make stems like these. the shape kind of reminds me of the feather on a quill.

So a pic with original stem: (still awesome) :)

And with the new one: (More awesome) :D

I was bidding on a Yanik "Snow Owl" pipe about four or five months ago, but it cruised beyond my reach, pricewise. I'm glad someone has a similar variant they love. I agree, the new stem is much better. 8)

Kyle - Thank you, i do too, it still looked awesome before, but the new stem gives it a whole other dimension :)

Yeah, his pipes tend to go for quite a price, I still think he is without doubt the greatest meerschaum carver there is though, and i consider myself very lucky to have been able to get this one, I won it from his ebay site, for approx $200, a little more than i would have liked to pay, but in my eyes worth every penny and more. and i am being as careful as i can, but i still find myself checking his ebay every day to see if he has put any more up for auction haha.

The "snow owl" sounds interesting, i bet that was a cool pipe, mine was listed as "great horned owl" :)

If you're as big a meerschaum fan as me and you ever get the chance at a yanik, in my opinion you should definitely go for it. :)

That new stem is VERY NICE ! Did you have to send the pipe back to Turkey to get it fitted? Very nice owl. Was it partially pre-colored or has it tuened from your smoking it?

I have one IMP meer I've simply never smoked. Sometimes I have a hang-up about ruining the newness of things, but it fades, eventually. :lol: The "Snow Owl" pipe of Yanik's was full of life, and I fell in love with it. One day I'll probably have one, or some species of owl in meerschaum. 8)

Monbla -

No, fortunately when i emailed him asking if i could get a stem like this, i sent him a picture of my pipe, and he remembered it and sent me one of approximate size and with the same degree of a bend in it, It is a little bigger than the original stem, but i think that makes it even cooler, the size and width of the new stem fit perfectly with how big and chunky the bowl is, The only slight problem i have at the moment is that now it wont fit in its case, which i had anticipated, but i havent quite figured out a permanent alternative to keep it as safe yet, so while im not using it im currently leaving the old stem on, then changing it when i want to smoke it, I guess i could get one of those cool transparent acrylic pipe stands for it or something. :)

And yes this pipe was indeed pre-coloured, mostly now S.Yanik colours his pipes a very yellow colour by using a different beeswax mixture than most others, and dipping them more times, But it will still colour nicely and is in fact just starting to show a bit on the top of the shank, It looks awesome, like a tequila sunrise :D Mostly i do only buy pure white meers, but i had wanted a Yanik for quite some time and thought it would be cool to have one slightly different anyway, and i think it really sets it apart :)

Kyle -

Awesome, i want to get myself an IMP at some point, they have a very good rep, and i know what you mean, i was like that earlier on in my pipe smoking/collecting, but i suddenly just sorta changed my mind, with the thinking that so long as i look after them the best i can, They're there to be smoked right?? so i'm just as careful as i can be, especially with meer's, and i re-wax them often, I just love the thought that one day if i live long enough i might have some really well coloured antique meerschaum's, that i may be able to pass on to somebody, and that i bought new too :) that'd be cool.

I hope you get your owl meer soon :)

Is my hang-up just with pipes? Nope. Shoes, synthesizers, books...for some reason, I just can't sully them with my dirty little paws until I'm damn good and ready. There's no logic to it. :lol:

I'll snag a Yanik sometime. I'm not into figurals, but I have to have at least one. 8)

YUP, that S.Yanik is beautiful and I must say that second stem you had made is much better.

Very nice Yanik meer. All my meer's are Yanik's except one, and I really enjoy the versatility that a meer offers. Congrats on a nice addition to your collection. :cheers:

Thanks guys. :) And yeah im loving the new stem, really finishes it off :)

Dutch- Awesome! how many Yaniks do you actually own then? :0 they're certainly lovely pipes, just not the cheapest of things to collect, haha, i'd love to see one or two of yours if you could maybe find the time. :)

Thanks.